• 07-22-2014
    Straz85
    Shimano freehub questions (x-post from Wheel and Tires section)
    I posted this in the wheel and tire section but haven't gotten any responses, I suspect maybe because this is a low end budget wheelset and not a fancy mountain bike wheelset:

I have a set of wheels I picked up at the REI Garage Sale for $50. I've put around 3500 miles on them commuting. Starting a few weeks ago, the freehub was occasionally skipping. At first I thought my chain ring was skipping a tooth, but since this started, I replaced chain ring, chain and cassette (because I changed to a 1x10 drivetrain, not to try to fix the issue), so I don't think it's anything related to those. Now I'm thinking it's the freehub. I don't have much experience with servicing freehubs though.

The other day I serviced the hub bearings, flushed out the freehub and re-greased everything per the instructions on the Park Tools website. Since doing it, the skipping continues. According to the Park Tools website, you can't really access the bearings/pawls without damaging the dust cover. Is this true? If so, I will buy a new freehub. Will any Shimano 9/10 speed freehub work with a Tiagra rear hub?

Thanks!
  • 07-22-2014
    newfangled
    I can't help you with the arcane mysteries of freehub compatibility.

But last year I had intermittent skipping - like once every 45 pedalstrokes. I tried all of the things you mentioned, plus a few more. After troubleshooting for days, I finally swapped on another rear wheel and that confirmed 100% that the freehub was the problem. So if you've got a similar rear wheel you could give that a try.

One other thing, is that it might be easier/cheaper to just buy a new hub and use it for parts, rather than to source a new freehub. The prices might be pretty similar (wiggle.com has the tiagra for $25), but if you buy a hub you get a backup axle and cone assembly too.
  • 07-22-2014
    Straz85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    One other thing, is that it might be easier/cheaper to just buy a new hub and use it for parts, rather than to source a new freehub. The prices might be pretty similar (wiggle.com has the tiagra for $25), but if you buy a hub you get a backup axle and cone assembly too.

Good thinking, that's only a couple bucks more expensive than a new Shimano freehub and it comes with a new skewer too. Rep for you!