Fluorescent colors?? Check
    Bright taillight? Check
    Bike Lane? Check
    Cut off and hit by car's trailer? Check
    Video'd by another cyclist? Check
    Debate over who was right? Check

Cyclist catches 'hit-and-run' driver on camera

weirdo
    The article says the video has "provoked a heated debate" over who was in the right. I dont see any debate in the article and dont see anything the cyclist did wrong. It looks like one of those BrianMc moments- driver completely oblivious to several acres of florescent clothing just plowed right through him like he wasnt even there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yes, the driver was an idiot and breaking the law, no doubt about both of those things.

Props to the cyclist for staying upright, I thought for sure he would high-side, especially with that backpack swinging all over the place.

But! If you are riding in a bike lane that cuts across an exit from a busy road, it may behoove you to take a quick look over your shoulder to see if anyone is about to do this (or have mirrors mounted to see this). One touch on the brakes for the biker and we would just be looking at another near miss video.

No matter what the laws, there are some car drivers who make really stupid decisions around exits, no matter if they are cutting off a cyclist, a motorcyclist, another car, or (especially) a semi-truck (dad's a truck driver, people do this all the time).

mtbr member
    Yes, they see you but they still make stupid decisions, and it is your fault.

Looks to me like the 'I forgot I had the trailer', or forgot how long it was. I would not be surprised that the driver did not notice the contact.

With the orange barrels and lane constrictions, and the bike lane cutting a left exit, I think a little more defensive riding was definitely in order. It looks like the cyclist figured the car would clear, not knowing there was a trailer. My mirror is on my left, and would not have helped in this situation, but we have a useful thing called a neck that can help.

weirdo
    I dont think it mentioned the location in the linked article, but it was apparently in New Zealand, so left side drive wasnt due to the construction or causing additional confusion. It looks like the cyclist does have a bar end mirror on the right side, but I can understand why he still wouldnt have expected a trailer behind that car. Last thing is that the Youtube comments werent any more anti-cyclist than what would be expected in the US for the most part, although some that recieved a lot of negative responses have been deleted.
    Hit and Run by Jim's Mowing (T6447C) - YouTube

mtbr member
    also it's not like the cyclist just magically appeared. the car came from behind and then passed. good thing the driver waited for the last minute or the guy could have ended up under the trailer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    The article says the video has "provoked a heated debate" over who was in the right. I dont see any debate in the article
    I think they mean the anonymous youtube commentators typing homophobic threats in all caps.

It's kind of like an internet transcription of stuff yelled out pickup truck windows.

Since it's youtube, you can click on the threat-makers' name and see all the stuff he likes and dislikes. Although you probably could have predicted these things ahead of time.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

since 4/10/2009
    One thing we don't know is when that car began signaling. It is entirely possible that it wasn't even signaling when in view of the rider's mirror. Yeah, in situations like that my head is on a swivel, but the car driver is still did the hitting.

I get passed by big trailers like that all the time in Texas. never had a problem with one. They're usually being pulled by bigger trucks. I found it odd that this was being pulled by a passenger sedan. I'd tend to agree that the driver had a poor concept of how long they were. I would bet that the driver was very well aware of the bicycle, but the car was significantly held back by the weight of the trailer so the driver could not execute the pass appropriately. Seems to me to be a case of a bad decision, to accelerate and pass in front of the cyclist (without the trailer, I bet that car could have done so without issue) instead of holding back and waiting for the guys on bikes to clear the crossing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    From the comments, it sounds like Australia, not NZ. I really have nothing more to add than in other parts of the world it is not very uncommon for large sedans to pull trailers that size and smaller. Not many people have trucks so it's either throw everything in a box van or hook up the trailer to a car.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    From the comments, it sounds like Australia, not NZ. I really have nothing more to add than in other parts of the world it is not very uncommon for large sedans to pull trailers that size and smaller. Not many people have trucks so it's either throw everything in a box van or hook up the trailer to a car.
    Doesn't matter if it's common or not. It's going to slow that car down markedly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    It's going to slow that car down markedly.
    I completely agree. Just thought I'd share that it is not "odd", globally speaking, to pull a trailer with a car or something smaller than the 3/4 ton truck that is "normal" in Texas. I am in no way defending the driver or his decision making abilities (or lack there of).

since 4/10/2009
    I'm used to seeing cars pulling trailers...but not that big. Watching the vid again, it looks like that driver was trying to build up some steam before it even entered the frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    No matter what the laws, there are some car drivers who make really stupid decisions around exits, no matter if they are cutting off a cyclist, a motorcyclist, another car, or (especially) a semi-truck (dad's a truck driver, people do this all the time).
    You may be in the right but you'll be "dead right".

As for the yellow. As a former utility construction worker who worked on the side of roads often, we were required to wear yellow vests. Now that I work on an ambulance I have to wear bright yellow vests when working on the side of the road. We always joke in both EMS and utility construction that the yellow vests is so they can find the body easier.

The best way to go is bright LED lights and more than just one and not all facing directly backwards. I make mine look like an ambulance with a disco ball going down the road. I ride in a city that is very biker unfriendly (what are these bike lanes you speak of?) and cars are great at avoiding me. I just wish the lights had the same affect while I'm in the ambulance.
    Negative Reps Please.

Soy Loco

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    The article says the video has "provoked a heated debate" over who was in the right. I dont see any debate in the article and dont see anything the cyclist did wrong. It looks like one of those BrianMc moments- driver completely oblivious to several acres of florescent clothing just plowed right through him like he wasnt even there.
    The debate appears to be in the comments under the article. Don't bother reading them - it's typical commentary from knuckle-draggers e.g. "car good, bike bad".

Members who have read this thread: 0