Sharrows worse than doing nothing?- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    May 2006
    They did that on one of my streets works for most drivers...ups attention and curtesy...

Unfortunately some road ragers take it as a a challenge to push the bikers to the side...

The best bike lanes share the parking lane with the side walk....the new parking lane is moved over adjacent to the car lane.

since 4/10/2009
    There are sharrows on the street in front of my house. Speed limit is 35 there. They are combined with signs that say, "Cyclists May Use Full Lane".

While true, they do not dedicate space to bicycles, and no, they don't technically do anything to change any physical interactions with cars, I do agree that they do make drivers more aware of bicycles and create the expectation that bicycles might be present and that they can be expected to take the lane. It seems to me that this sort of thing reduces the sorts of verbal assaults that I've dealt with in the past.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    The best bike lanes share the parking lane with the side walk....the new parking lane is moved over adjacent to the car lane.
    I've never used this style of bike lane, only seen pictures. How do you turn left when using that style of bike lane?

We have sharrows going down our Main Street in town, it's a one way, 2 lane road that's 25mph. Lots of crosswalks so actual traffic moves more like 15mph. I think the cars slow me down on my bike more than the other way around. Can't say I ever felt like sharrows made things worse.

since 4/10/2009
    Depends on how it's set up, but when I am presented with these and need to make a left turn, I either:

1) utilize a driveway that interrupts the parking lane, to turn left (or jump out into the car traffic ahead of my intended left turn so I can turn as a car),
    2) ride past my intended destination to the next intersection, utilizing the traffic infrastructure to turn left at that intersection (sometimes it means transferring from the bike lane to the traffic lane at the intersection, and how I do that depends from case to case), or make a u-turn (much the way you handle a section of road in your car where left turns are prohibited)
    3) if there is an empty parking space in the parking lane, maybe I'll transfer from the bike lane to the parking lane, wait for an opening in traffic, and merge into the car lane
    4) sometimes I won't use the bike lane in the area at all, knowing that using it would complicate reaching my destination.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    ^Makes sense.

Back on point, I prefer sharrows over some of the bike lanes they've installed around here. Like the kind that end without notice into the back of parked cars, or the kind they incorrectly install inside of right turn lanes to invite right hooks. At least the sharrows indicate "Yes, I do belong here, not in the glass covered ditch we call a shoulder".

Obviously common sense must still prevail, sharrows on a two lane 55mph road helps no one. 35mph and below, I don't mind them explaining to drivers I'm not supposed to ride on a sidewalk.

mtbr member
    With apologies, the wanna-be motorist and VC trolls in that comments section are amateurs when it comes to threatening discourse and escalationist rhetoric.

Here's how far off the rails the sharrow conversation has gone in Toronto:

Carte Blanche: This Toronto road is a cyclist death trap - WHEELS.ca

TLDR: A senior auto writer at the supposedly left-leaning Toronto Star, calling for anyone involved in the construction of a sharrow to be jailed without trial.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

jrm
    mtbr member
    no one treatment is going to make a class 3 facility safer..

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Like so many things related to bike lanes, it all depends on the situation.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My city seems to put sharrows in spots where adding bike infrastructure would get negative pushback from drivers. It's like their way of making it look like they did something without actually doing anything.

I guess they have some use for letting people know I belong in the street, but it really doesn't do much and I ignore them. On a bike blvd, I guess I can seem them, but on a normal street they are garbage.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KentheKona View Post
    My city seems to put sharrows in spots where adding bike infrastructure would get negative pushback from drivers. It's like their way of making it look like they did something without actually doing anything.

I guess they have some use for letting people know I belong in the street, but it really doesn't do much and I ignore them. On a bike blvd, I guess I can seem them, but on a normal street they are garbage.
    On some street "they" cant make room b/c for some reason or another so they have to deem that street or that segment of that street as a class 3 "bike route" in order to provide connectivity to their larger network. The street that my office is on has bike lanes on either end but sharrows in between b/c they could fit bike lanes all the way through.

Moderator Moderator
    I have noticed that the newish sharrows have worn off the roadway very quickly - not sure if this is due to cheap paint or all the cars pulling into the opposing lane to pass! Your take?