Selling parts to get new parts: What's a fair price?- Mtbr.com
    NDD
    mtbr member

Selling parts to get new parts: What's a fair price?

The Items listed as follows:

1: Araya wheelset from a Schwinn Super Le Tour 10 speed bike. Comes with a freewheel that works. Hubs need to be serviced, but work pretty well. Also comes with a fairly new, lightly used set of Kenda tires (27"). Rims are true.

2: Stock mtb wheelset. Crappy rims, formula hubs. The front wheel has a bent rim, back wheel is fine. Both hubs work well, don't need service immediately. I'm thinking super-sale, like $5 or take them out of my sight.

3: Rear derailleur for 10 speed, friction shift. Works flawlessly.

4: Pair of center pull brakes. I'll probably grease them up, but their not in bad shape, just need new brake pads.

5: 1" quill stem. Typical from older road bikes. In good condition.

6: 1-1/8" quill stem, fits 25.4 mm bar. No issues, just doesn't fit my bike.

7: 25.4 mm flat bar. Really only good for fixed gear, does not taper, limits ability to put anything on the bars. (this I'd let go for like $5 to get off my hands, maybe less). It does have some scuffs... because I'm a brute.

All in all, I really don't expect to get much dough for any of it. So if you think the number you're putting out is pretty low, then that's what I'm expecting. I doubt I'll be pleasantly surprised.
    dang

mtbr member
    You'll get more if you take it to a non-profit bike co-op and get a tax deduction for the parts. On their own they're not worth much. Everything you listed is a dime-a-dozen.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Great idea. Not many co-ops around. Have to drive to St. Louis, about 20 miles.
    dang

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You can always hang on to that stuff until a swap meet of some kind crops up.

As a service center, you'd be lucky to sell any of that stuff (barring rarity) for $10 apiece...that said, wheels tend to be worth a bit more, the other stuff, a bit less. If you wanted it gone, I'd list the lot at $25, but you might be able to get more (see above) if you are patient.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I think I'm going to see what I can swap for at the bike expo swap meet this Sunday. The way I see it is old steel quill for differently shaped old steel quill is about fair.

Other than that, I think brand new tires and tubes are a good incentive for the wheelset. I'd give up everything on that list for the quill stem I need, a mediocre but properly shaped handlebar, and some bar ends. I'd even pay a little dough for a not crumby handlebar. A large part of me wants rid of this stuff because I don't need it, I will be moving within the year, and there is other stuff I want that might fall under lateral transfer of goods.
    dang

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Can the bent rim be straightened? It can go for much more...
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member

Re: Selling parts to get new parts: What's a fair price?

Can you post a picture of the 1 1/8 quill stem? May be interested in trading some 25.4 mountain bars for it if the shape looks right. Maybe even if it doesn't, they can be tough to find.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Can the bent rim be straightened? It can go for much more...
    Nope, that rim is FUBAR, and there is no hope for it. Had a nasty crash going really fast on the trail one day and there's no fixing it. It's beyond wobble.

AlexCuse, I'll try to post up a picture soon. It's a shorter stem with a little rise.
    dang

mtbr member
    I need a long one with a lotta rise. Though I guess the rise kinda negates the length.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Not necessarily. As far as horizontal distance goes, yeah, but what you want would put the bars (slightly) higher up. Makes all the difference. I'll post it up for ya.
    dang

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    I need a long one with a lotta rise. Though I guess the rise kinda negates the length.
    Well, I ended up trading a bunch of stuff (including that stem) to get new-used handlebars (ritchy force lite), bar ends,and grips. So, that happened at the expo... got everything I need but the stem. My mechanic bud insists he has hundreds of stems and keeps telling me to come over to pick one out, but he's been busy with the expo and I've been busy with school/work.

The brakes and other parts I had I ended up donating to this group that fixes up old road bikes and sells them to donate the money to kids programs.

The 27" wheels I took home and posted on craigslist. Got somebody interested already. I bet it's the new tires.
    dang