Selling hybrid and commuting wth MTB- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Selling hybrid and commuting wth MTB

I purchased my first bike, a Trek 7.1 FX back in late May. I decided to get it without ever having tested a MTB because the LBS pushed it on me as I spend 75% of my time on the road.

A few weeks ago I decided to buy my brother's old Mongoose 8.3. I have enjoyed riding it on trails quite a bit and even after riding 100+ miles a week on my hybrid, I feel more comfortable on the Mongoose. I'll be heading off to school in a couple weeks and only plan on taking one bike because of lack of space in my new apartment. I was originally going to take the FX, but I can't help but think about selling it and sticking with the old mongoose as a commuter.

Is it all that bad commuting on a MTB? I'm planning on getting some slicks and taking it on my 30 mile Monday ride tomorrow. In the long run do those of you who commute on a MTB regret it?
    Last edited by Henior; 07-27-2015 at 08:41 PM.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Change tires or wheels to 700c and or slicks and commuting on a MTB becomes a wonderful experience. If you take commuting seriously enough - a drivetrain upgrade to Cyclocross type gearing takes the speed/comfort factor to another level. I love it....
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Was thinking I was gonna get a set of 26x1.5" slicks tomorrow. The main reason I'm leaning towards the MTB is, about 2.6 miles of my commute to new job is through a gravel doubletrack. Not really sure if the hybrid could handle that much well. Plus, even hitting sticks is uncomfortable on the hybrid.
    Last edited by Henior; 07-27-2015 at 05:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Is it the fit or feel that you like more with the Mongoose? If it's the feel to handle the bit of gravel, may just be down to tyres, although the suspension would play a part. Another option could be to try wider tyres/cyclocross tyres on the Hybrid and see how that changes things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Henior View Post
    Is it all that bad commuting on a MTB? I'm planning on getting some slicks and taking it on my 30 mile Monday ride tomorrow. In the long run do those of you who commute on a MTB regret it?
    No, and no.

I commute on 29" hardtails. In the States, my commute is 8 miles through the countryside (bumpy/poopy farm roads), and in Germany my commute is 2.5 miles through the city (over cobblestones, up/down curbs, down steps, etc.).

For me, at least, a springer fork and big knobbies are a must I use 2.25" Smart Sams. I have racks and fenders and computers and lights.

If something happened to either bike, I would go buy another one just like it...

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Based on all of this, I think I'll just use the MTB as my commuter, my tendency to go down stairs and off curbs has me worried I'll break something on the hybrid. I'll probably keep it around for long road trips though.