Selling alternatives to Craigslist?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Selling alternatives to Craigslist?

Hey all, I hope this is allowed, I'm not trying to skirt the classifieds here.

I'm looking to sell one of my bikes to build something new. I don't want to ship my bike so I'm going to try to find someone local. I just listed it on CL and one of our local bike clubs classifieds, but are there any good bike specific classifieds that I should look into?

I don't mind paying for a listing, but I'd like to keep the sale local so I'm not sure of any other good options. This would be my first bike sale, I generally prefer to hoard them

since 4/10/2009
    If you want to sell local, I think you've pretty much got it, unless you want to search for a local bike swap meet. My city has two every year, with the winter swap being the bigger one.

Listing it online somewhere with national coverage, like the classifieds here, or pinkbike, or wherever, and then stating in your ad local sales only will wind up pissing people off.

mtbr member
    I've used pinkbike and I don't think it's unreasonable to state local-only, but expect to get a million responses from people asking if you'll ship it. (and I'm not sure about the US or Europe, but in Canada shipping costs for something bigish like a frame are completely ridiculous)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    An old school option might be to put up flyers in the main street coffee shops, or see if one of the local shops will sell on consignment.

Moderator Moderator
    Check if your community is listed on Front Porch Forum (.org or .com ?) Its an online local discussion/for sale/wanted). People have to join and I think you can only join in one community (but can share with nearby) so less rifraff than CL

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks guys. I've actually got some interest on CL so hopefully this ends up being not too painful. It's a nice bike and I think I priced it pretty well so I'm hopeful I get order my new frame soon.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Where I live, we have Buy/Sell/Trade groups in Facebook that seem to be very location oriented. If your CL leads don't work out I would check those out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    In Canada we have kijiji. Also have you thought about consignment or trade in at a local LBS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by snailspace View Post
    In Canada we have kijiji. Also have you thought about consignment or trade in at a local LBS.
    To the best of my knowledge none of the LBS around here take trades or do consignments, and I've spent a good bit of time in most of them. I'm actually meeting someone tonight to look at my bike, so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Bike sold in just a few days, wasn't too bad. Got the price I wanted so it's time to start the new build.