sell or convert it?- Mtbr.com
    back2bikin'

sell or convert it?

hey folks, I have my first mountain bike, bought used in 94 that I am riding 10 miles one way to work. Problem is my hands are going numb. Don't know if I should throw new bars, rack and seat on the thing, or sell it and buy a bike properly sized for me. What do you think?oldstum.JPG
    "So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature,..."

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You've got a classic old rigid mtb there, I personally think it would be a shame to put a rack on it and turn it into a commuter (though there's nothing really wrong with doing that). Plus, based on the seat extension, I suspect that frame is too small for you anyway (especially for road use). I'd say get another bike for your commuter and either keep your stumpy, put some knobbies back on it and give it some deserved trail time, or sell it to someone that would appreciate it for what it is.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Down South Yooper

Keep It

I'd keep it. Put a shorter stem on it with some more comfortable bars, like a riser, mary or H-bar, whatever your fancy.

You won't get much for that bike as a used one, probably not enough to cover a store-bought commuter. Most bikes sold as commuters have muted handling, low-end parts and are generally heavier than needed.

That bike has everything you might need in a commuter, rear eyelets, enough age that you don't worry about it, etc. My wife has a 93 specy that she uses for 'round the town work. It does fine and handles well, even with the beach cruiser bars. Put a rack on, spend $50 on new bars and stem, and ride the thing. A tune up with some new drivetrain parts (if needed) will transform it into something you really enjoy riding.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If it isn't sized properly, I'd get a new bike. Size makes a huge difference from uncomfortable ride to laz-e-boy.

back2bikin'

Thank you!

yeah, trailville and mondaycurse - I know what you mean about size and keeping the bike in it's original format. Although I do have a good friend that has about five or six bikes and he is constantly changing them up. MTB one week, single speed the next, then cruiser. Always outfitted with the latest and greatest lightweight technology. He was telling me the other day he ordered an all-carbon bike. I think he is with bikes like I am with fountain pens.

I also have a ;96 stumpy I bought new (sadly hanging in the garage since my seven year old twins were born) and a '57 Schwinn American Cruiser, both of which I value too much to leave exposed to the weather (and possible theft) during the workday. Though I would love to ride either of them to work. So, while I may look like a clown riding a toy bike, comfort and lack of sentimentality (and cash) are driving this decision.

Money is a tight for me these days, so my thoughts mirror Plum's assessment as well. I wasn't sure if this old thing might not be of some $ignificant value to someone. Doesn't sound like it is a rare bike that could easily sell for enough to get a new commuter that fits me better. Unlike my other two bikes, it wouldn't break my heart if it were stolen. From what I'm hearing here, if I sold it, I doubt I could get what I paid in 93 - $350.

So, I will have old schwinn cruiser bars put on it and a rack and maybe a cushier seat. The Shimano Deore DX set up is working great, so no complaints there.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and share your thoughts. It is nice to have folks that are willing to share what they know with us part-timers. Sincerely,
    Dave

back2bikin'

Gonna sell it and pick up a road bike

This is what my '90(?) Stumpjumper Comp (sn M1DS00074) looks like today. Any ideas on a value?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sell or convert it?-stumpjumper.jpg  

Last edited by sactodave; 01-16-2012 at 11:11 PM. Reason: new info

weirdo
    That`s it? After a scant 3.5 years of thought you`re already decided to ditch it? Don`t do anything rash, now!

My uneducated guess is that it`s probably worth an awful lot as a great bike, but not very many actual Dollars. If you really don`t have a use for it, might as well schlep it off on somebody who does have a use, and hopefully get at least a couple bucks out of the deal. You might get a better deal by trading than selling, but I`d try the vintage subforum for a guestimate on what price to expect.
    Recalculating....

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    It would be worth more without those pink bottle cages. Just saying.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I found that putting some decent grips on my commuter made a lot of difference - I got a set of Ergon GC3 Touring grips well worth the cost - no more numb hands

wants a taco
    Most used bikes like that sell at our shop for around $200 tuned up, it may vary by area though.

If you have the cash now to get a bike that fits right selling it is certainly a good idea. Fit is more important than anything else on a bicycle when it comes to being happy with it.
    Just another cycling blog...
    The Long Way Home

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That bike is amazing. I second the recommendation of Ergon Grips or any ergonomic grip. Then ride it, a lot.

Custom Bike Builder
    If you like your current bike, convert it. Here's my conversion. Plus 1 for the ergonomic grips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sell or convert it?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1332688817.804660.jpg  

Gets chain-ring tattoos on both legs!

Custom Bike Builder
    Ergon grips. Damn spellcheck!
    Gets chain-ring tattoos on both legs!

Members who have read this thread: 0