Selecting a compatible rear rack.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Selecting a compatible rear rack.

Hi all.

I'm glad you all are helping the environment and yourself by choosing to commute on bike! I have done it a few times so far this year but I've been wearing a backpack and it's getting too hot and icky for that now.

I NEED HELP FINDING A PANNIER RACK! I don't want a rack that mounts only to my post. I want a rack that can mount to the frame via eyelets or axle and support heavier loads incase I want to start doing some light touring in the near future. My bikes are all mountain hardtails.

1) What is the best rack for a bike with disc brakes and the appropriate rear eyelets on it?

2) What is the best rack for a bike with disc brakes but has no rear eyelets or v-brakes holes on it. I have looked at old mountain man racks but they are too expensive and they need to clamp to your frame. I have seen racks that mount via axle and clamp on the seat post. Where do I find those....

Please point me in the right direction and product to find the best rack for my two scenarios. THANKS!

just riding along
    You could try one of these from Planet Bike:

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-Oversized-Aluminum-Brake/dp/B000RYBGE8/ref=pd_sbs_sg_title_6/104-6560383-2036762

Do you have a LBS that can help you with that? That is a great source for all sorts of stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Topeak Explorer Disc Rack, Topeak DXP trrunk bag with fold down panniers. Clamp on mounting points (clamp on to seatstays...rubber padded).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Axiom Odyssee or Journey

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    These would be good if you have eyelets, they're both rated to carry 25kg(55lb):
    Topeak Explorer & Super Tourist

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    Got a question about the above Topeak racks... Where do the silver thingies mount to? I'm thinking I might buy one at some point to toss on when I need to carry stuff and don't want a backpack. (My bike does have eyelets)

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Where do the silver thingies mount to?
    Generally to the eyelets on the seat stays but I guess that they could be attached to the seat post clamp if there were no eyelets. This photo will show you: http://www.cheekymonkey.com.au/transport%20images/coolbikes%20001.jpg

Devo
    old man mountain
    http://www.oldmanmountain.com/

i'd keep an eye out on eBay...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

Members who have read this thread: 0