scariest commute and why?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

scariest commute and why?

Yo..what was everyone's scariest commute and why?

Mine was about a month ago, a scrap metal lorry was overtaking me and it started to snake and spilled a HUGE bunch of its load right in front of me, i only just avoided it..

weirdo
    My commute is so short I don`t have enough time to get scared

Bedwards Of The West
    I'll just quote myself from the 'how was your commute today' thread. 1/26/2010. The Freezing Fog Fiasco:

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    So I'm a pretty smart guy, right? I live off of a dirt road off of a dirt road, and I usually get more snow than just about anywhere else on my commute, becuase I'm also at maybe 500 feet higher in elevation than 'town'. So last night it was snowing a bit, and I decided to shovel a patch of asphalt in front of my garage, so that in the morning I can see how much new snow there is and decide if it would be ok to ride.
    Fast forward to this morning, there was maybe an inch of new stuff in my test section... and it looked wet out there, almost misty. "This is good" I thought, "roads will be wet, not snowy like yesterday when you couldn't find the white line to save your life."

So I take off down my dirt road, and it's pretty sloppy. Wet enough so that I cut through most of it, but super slippery and nasty. I got sucked into any pothole I got within 6 inches of...it was work getting down to the pavement, which was covered in that inch of fresh stuff I had seen in my driveway. This road isn't travelled much, so I expected this. It actually offered some decent traction if I stayed out of the tire tracks. This road decends down to valley-floor level, where I expected to get out of the snow, and sure enough, about half way to the 'main road', the snow started to dissapear. I got a little more confident as I picked up speed going down the hill, and then a car came by going uphill. The mirror-glare of his headlights bouncing off of the pavement told me one thing: You are an idiot.
    I had flown blindly into a skating rink of death. I was approaching the end of this road, where it forms a T with the main road. There is never any cars on my morning commute...except for today, when I could see a couple cars coming in both directions on the main road. I grabbed a little brake...zero to lock up in .04 seconds. I unclipped my right foot and started to drag it. Now I'm like a two-wheeled, one footed tripod of fear, sliding down the road in the dark, headlight pointing at the shoulder. I started to realize that there was no way this was going to stop me before the intersection. I was like a 12 year old kid pulling the biggest rear brake induced skid in history, except there were no rear brakes involved. I had no choice but to lay it down, which I pulled off rather smoothly I must say. I went down on my right hip and continued to slide for another 30 yards or so...long enough to really consider how much road rash I would be getting if I was skidding this far on dry pavement. At that moment the centimeter of ice separating me from losing all of the skin on my butt was the greatest thing in the world.
    I came to a stop just over the limit line right about the same time the couple of cars I had seen came by on the road. I walked across the road, realizing that I was in for a heck of a ride to work, and gingerly pedaled the next 4 miles without much difficulty. I had the front wheel catch a rut or two and squirt out from underneath me, but not enough to throw me down. When I got to town, the ice got worse...if that was possible. I actually walked the last 1/2 mile or so, which was probably more difficult than riding... the sidewalk was worse than the pavement. Heck of a ride today.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The one where somebody does "everything right" and gets hit three times in a month....

weirdo
    I love that one, CB! Whether it`s this one or the radar deer boinging incident, MHO is that you`ve got the best commute story in that whole zillion page thread!

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    in the same fashion as Cboy...this one was not only scariest but painful too...

04-20-2010
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsillo
    Warning....dumb (me) posting:
    I felt getting distracted by my HR monitor!
    We are fine, but La Trurly needs some attention...nothing to be alarmed...it was her proud the one that really got hurt...

I'll elaborate the post later with a pic.
    Dumb or dumber?

So... yes...I got distracted watching my HR! you know to check how high I was going!...

where?

well, here
    just between the little white truck and the gray car going south...traffic was pretty much like on the sat pic btw...

Taking my eyes off the road my front wheel felt in those little curbs that are on some streets when they put coat over coat on the roads...well..tried to veer back..but it was too late..in fact it made it easy...a second before I was laying on the slow lane, pretty much taking the whole lane...fortunately the car coming was far enough to see me falling.

left knee took pretty much the whole thing...

La Trurly as I said, was hurt on her proud, she is tough...the rack has a little dent now, the rear fender needed to be adjusted and her RD cable got loose....I forgot my tools...of course!... so it was 34x11 all the way home...it was a good test for my legs...I barely did the hill getting home, but I did it.

Dumb or dumber?

mtbr member
    I almost ran over a squirrel the other day. I tensed up a tad.
    :wq

Moderator Moderator
    Whiteout type snowsquall and drivers with poor tires and worse judgement. Whiteknuckled but unscathed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    The one where somebody does "everything right" and gets hit three times in a month....
    Everybody ripped you a new one because you shamelessly went after CB last time. Give it a rest unless you want them to rip you another one.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    I love that one, CB! Whether it`s this one or the radar deer boinging incident, MHO is that you`ve got the best commute story in that whole zillion page thread!

I don't know...I'm not the one ripping home at 49mph

THAT is a great story.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sophiethomson
    Yo..what was everyone's scariest commute and why?

Mine was about a month ago, a scrap metal lorry was overtaking me and it started to snake and spilled a HUGE bunch of its load right in front of me, i only just avoided it..

That is scarey - glad you weren't squished or crashed! I once saw a car come loose from the top level of one of those double-decker car-carriers; the right hand chains came off and the new car flipped over off the carrier, but the left hand chains held and it was hanging upside down in the air off the lefthand side of the carrier. It was already pulled over when I saw it, but can you imagine seeing it coming down towards you!?!?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Nothing too bad. Last summer I was working 11 miles from home to the west, and when thunderstorms came as long as I left during a break I usually kept pace with them and stayed dry the whole way home. One day was a little different, the storm caught me and I was stuck in one of the hardest thunderstorms I've ever seen here, the water was about an inch deep for a while, winds were howling, lightning constantly, pretty big branches in the roads. A few miles from home it cleared up a bit and then the tornado sirens kicked on. That was probably the fastest I've ever taken that stretch of my commute.

mtbr member
    I agree that the scariest rides have to do with not being in control. Driver mistakes anger me but rarely have scared me or I was too busy to be scared.

I started home from the university early as dark clouds gathered on the western horizon in Champaign Illinois on a late July afternoon, and I was making good time (48/14 at my usual fast cruise of 90 rpm) passing the U of Illionois Basketball arena on the south side when the Tornado sirens hit. We didn't have the Weather Channel and Doppler Radar sweeps to see storms coming. The Sirens meant that a funnel had been spotted. Where? I did not want to find out first hand. I found a lot more rpm's and raced for a favorite restaurant very close at hand that would be open, low, of brick and concrete so a reasonable haven. The skies opened up as I entered the road to their parking lot. It was like riding in a hose. The loose bits of pavement broken by frost or snow plows where the road aproned onto the parking lot were awash and bouncing in the onslaught. I had picked my fastest line to the front door and was already arcing across the lanes when I saw that. They were a cubists take on ball bearings. The front slid out first, I caught a new line, the back slid and I started a rear brake skid thing then traction resumed. OTB sideways: chin into the bits of broken blacktop splitting it in a three-sided contusion. Unless there is some bits of tarry aggregate still embedded in my jaw bone, the last piece was ejected in a "blackhead" about 15 years later.

That was brief but INTENSE. This winter I tried to ride the excuse for plowed roads here with greasy melt on top of hard pack. In one ride I more than doubled my lifetime near OTB incidents. I guess sheer obstinacy prevented me calling my wife to come and get me. I have never been scared for so long and so repeatedly on a ride. Never again, Next winter: studs!

master blaster
    whenever im drunk.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    whenever im drunk.
    That`s scary? When I was still drinking, there were plenty of times I SHOULD have been scared, but it never dawned on me until after the fact. Being scared wasn`t why I often peed my pants

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Some awesome stories guys!

Like to see all you men are being brave even in the face of danger

mtbr member
    yoooo! i did the classic cycling into a hole in the ground created by workmen drinking tea and leaning on their shovels!

sad but true.

local trails rider
    This morning was not good. I'll quote myself from "How was your commute today?", too:
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Got bumped by a big truck about an hour ago. 12 wheels or something. No significant damage but it just hit me that it could have been much much worse...

He was stopped at a "give way" sign, looking for traffic from the left, and I was coming along the bike path from his right... I guess he first saw me in his mirror, when I was on the ground. He stopped and asked If I want ambulance or police. As there was no real injuries or damage, I thought it better that we drop it.
    ---------

I've been hit once before at that point. Then I was going in the other direction.

Visibility is not bad there, except the bike path forks there too and this time I was really coming from the worst angle.

Drivers coming up the ramp have the "give way" sign on both sides, AND there's an extra sign under each to warn them of cyclists...
    That kind of stuff does not scare me right away. The worst case scenarios hit me a little later....

mtbr member
    This could all be solved by employing better planned cycle paths/lanes (dedicated) as when i'm driving, it can be tricky dealing with cyclists safely too.

Not sure if the two can truly, safely co-exist in the same lane...tbh motorcyclists barely manage..at least where i am from..

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by sophiethomson
    Some awesome stories guys!

Like to see all you men are being brave even in the face of danger
    Glad you`re impressed, but not all of us are men.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Every commute is scary for me, in the car or on the bike, as the cities I ride/drive through (Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Santa Clara, and San Jose) contain many foreigners from countries where high death tolls on the roads are commonplace, and unfortunately said foreigners work for the department of motor vehicles, administering the test and behind-the-wheel instruction!!!!!
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

Members who have read this thread: 0