Salsa Build up- Mtbr.com

Thread: Salsa Build up

Jun 2008

Salsa Build up

I have decided to build up a Salsa La Cruz over the winter, this will be my first drop bar bike and i need some advice on the components. I am planning on riding it to and from school and on weekend rides in mountainous areas. My school commute is about 5 miles each way and has a few hills. I am able to clear the hills on my mountain bike with my 24 tooth chain ring and my 30 tooth cog out back if that describes the hills well enough.

Right now I have a Red Rear Derailleur, Dura-Ace Cassette and road BB7s that I want to use for the buildup. What i need help with is a good triple crankset, Brifters, and handlebars.
    I have no idea where to start with the handlebars, for the crankset I have been looking at FSA SLK triple cranks.

Any and all advice would be helpful.

jrm
    mtbr member

I'd go compact instead of triple

using a 34T inner and a 46T outer. i find i get better shifting using a double. If you use a long cage MTB rear derailluer you can always go with 11 or 12 - 30, 32 or even 34T cassettes.

Bar wise go wide. I absolutely love my 46c salsa bell laps.

weirdo
    To get an idea how the gearing options will treat you, I`d say copy all the ratios from your current setup and all the options you`re considering from Sheldon Brown`s gear calculator and try riding without going beyond X combination. Then you`ll know how low you need to go with the LaCruz.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

There are big differences in feel between different styles of drop bars. Before buying, hopefully you can test ride bikes from your LBS that come set up with different types. A lot of people like the flared bars like the Bell Laps that JRM mentioned, but I don`t like the flares since I ride with my hands on the ramps a lot. I love the kinky fronted (anatomic?) triangular drops, but a lot of guys won`t go with anything but round bends. There`s also a noticeable difference in feel between short reach and standard reach bars. The more you can try out before you buy, the better idea you`ll have of what feels good to you. Have fun with your buildup.
    Recalculating....

Jun 2008
    I work for the LBS and we focus on mountain bikes so no drops for me to try without a special order

Members who have read this thread: 0