Saddle bags or panniers?

Printable View

• 09-13-2011
    stevo78
    Saddle bags or panniers?
    I commute to work everyday and it's a 60km round trip. Wanting some options other than a back pack to carry all my stuff. It's approaching summer here and I hate the sweating feeling when using a back pack. What r my options? I have been thinking about a big saddle bag that people use when bike packing or the seatpost mount rack. What are the Ergon packs like cos there design seems to take eliminate some of my problems.
  • 09-14-2011
    ranier
    You'll get more versatility and capacity with pannier vs a saddle bag.
  • 09-14-2011
    JAGI410
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ranier View Post
    You'll get more versatility and capacity with pannier vs a saddle bag.

Agreed.
  • 09-14-2011
    canyoneagle
    I prefer panniers for commuting.
    - lower center of gravity
    - more utility
    - greater capacity (particularly nice in this season, when it is chilly in the morning and warm in the afternoon, and one needs to store the extra layer somewhere)
    - better "feel" when climbing - YMMV on this one, depending on bike geometry and riding style.
  • 09-15-2011
    Phillie14586
    Another vote for panniers. Lots of choices for size. One note is to watch the size. Some of the full size panniers on smaller racks you will hit with your heal. For commuting you shouldn't need one that big but just be aware.
  • 09-15-2011
    mtbxplorer
    The advantages typically cited for bikepacking with the behind-the-saddle bags are light weight (since there is no rack) and better clearance on singletrack trails. Neither of these are usually a big concern for commuters.

The seatpost racks seem to work OK for some, but others have had them snap in 2. Consider a regular rack if you have rough roads or carry more weight.
  • 09-15-2011
    webgeek
    This is good info about panniers. I was trying to figure this out myself too. Thanks!

-Mike