S**t Happens, & GPS Records It- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

S**t Happens, & GPS Records It

Interesting article about a guy who was able to reconstruct a bike accident he didn't remember using his GPS data. Another was able to get the driver's insurance company to pay based on the gps data.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/06/sc....html?_r=1&hpw

mtbr member
    Really good read. My favorite was the guy getting the insurance company to pay.

mtbr member
    Interesting. I got hit by a car yesterday on my commute yesterday. Driver made a right off a freeway ramp without looking.

Fortunately no serious damage and I was able to continue on. On my way home, I got a lap reading on my Garmin 500 where the accident was, so it must have knocked the button when I hit the hood of the car. I haven't downloaded the data yet, as I am not that excited to think about it, but I would think the data should be detailed enough to see where the car carried me off course. Not too excited to relive the situation since I have been doing this 30 years without an automobile run in, but will post results if anything interesting comes up.

Moderator Moderator
    Ebrider, that must have been scarey, glad you were not badly hurt & hope you still feel
    OK. That is a good point about not wanting to relive it via the gps, I think I would feel that way too.

mtbr member
    Pretty clear from the GPS that something happened. I think it may be off target by a little bit, because it happened right in front of the intersection. You can see where the car is getting ready to turn right. I think there must have been a truck in the straight/left turn lane that blocked my view, because I would usually check the driver to make sure they see me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S**t Happens, & GPS Records It-crash.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks like you were lucky there was either no left lane traffic or they had time to deal with a cyclist sliding into their path. No harm no fowl, but dang, that is scary!

BrianMc