Runner/Pedestrians misusing roads and paths- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Runner/Pedestrians misusing roads and paths

There is nothing more annoying than when runners/walkers use the wrong side of the road and go against the flow of traffic. I don't know what their logic is when there is a sidewalk on the correct side. As cyclist I am supposed to stay as far right as possible and not ride on the sidewalk. I don't care what time of day it is but I don't want my safety on the road put in jeopardy because a pedestrian wants to walk on the wrong side of the road when there is a side walk available to them. I understand they want to see what traffic is coming, but you have to consider motorist and cyclists.

If you are a solo runner or pedestrian there is no need to walk in the middle of a multi use path. Leave some room to pass for faster runners and cyclists. I hate when a group of runners or walkers take up a whole lane in a road, forcing a motorist or cyclist to honk or drive on the wrong side of the road.

I as a runner and cyclist would never inconvenience a cyclist or motorist by using the road like that.

Who has this problem?

I'd rather be on my bike
    How about a walker in an unprotected bike lane, going against traffic, when there is a sidewalk that is much safer less than 8 feet away? I deal with this lady at least 3 times a week on my commute to work in the afternoon. She is physically walking in the road at this point.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I deal with this lady at least 3 times a week on my commute to work in the afternoon.
    Did you try talking to her? Maybe she just needs a heads up. sounds like you'd be doing her a favor.

jrm
    mtbr member

"you're NOT a Salmon"

I position myself as far right as i can forcing them to pass me on the left. If they wont do that then i just stop right in front of them next to the curb.

Air Pirate
    In the city I live in (and in other jurisdictions nearby) pedestrians are required to walk on the left side of the bike path facing oncoming bicycle traffic. This is done with the idea it is safer for all trail users. If a pedestrian faces oncoming traffic there is a better chance they will see/acknowledge oncoming cyclists as opposed to when a cyclist approaches in the same lane from behind.

City of Roseville, California - Share the Trail

If you are talking about pedestrians on the wrong side of a roadway or highway and not on a off-street pathway, there may be a local/state law that requires them to move on that particular side of the street. Most jurisdictions do require pedestrians to stay on the sidewalk if there is one present, but there are some laws that require peds to face traffic when the roadway does not have a sidewalk. Even so, if peds are allowed in the street by law I would suspect that same law requires them to stay as close to the road edge as possible, not travel in the lane of traffic used by motor vehicles or bicycles.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    ... peds to face traffic when the roadway does not have a sidewalk
    This is the CORRECT way for peds to use roads. Out where I live, MOST roads don't have sidewalks. There are more miles of bike lanes than sidewalks here. So it isn't like peds have many options. So the bike lanes become defacto sidewalks. I would MUCH prefer the peds not to be using the bike lanes, but they don't have much choice. Especially when the space immediately past the bike lane is a grassy or muddy or sometimes rip-rap-filled drainage ditch.

I DO also do my utmost to have the pedestrian be traffic-side if I ride by. Simply because they can more easily see oncoming traffic and react to it than I can. However, it's a lot more difficult when the ped is walking WITH traffic and won't acknowledge my presence. So my only choice is to pass to their left and ride out into the traffic lane most times (like when they're in the middle of the bike lane).

The laws where I live are REALLY loose regarding peds and bikes. Bikes can legally use sidewalks here. And many bike paths are simply just widened sidewalks anyway. Scooters frequently use bike lanes and the police don't care. I don't even know if the law addresses that question.

mtbr member
    Pedestrians have the right of way here. We have many streets that are MUPs with vehicles as there are no sidewalks. I much prefer pedestrians coming towards me as they can see me. We are to ride as far right as practicable. Obviously a cyclist and pedestrian cannot occupy the same space at the same time. So you allow room. In my case the lane is often not wide enough for a car and cyclist so I just take the lane a bit further left to allow the pedestrian room. Blind corners on MUP's might be a bit disconcerting with oncoming cyclist and pedestrian, possibly with a dog. Usually there is some grass as a Plan B. We do not need to treat pedestrians as motorists treat us.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have this happen to me, but 2 rings of my bell, plus a wave or smile and I'm past them in 5 seconds and have forgotten it ever happened 30 seconds later.

As far as problems go, this barely even registers for me. And yes they should be going against traffic to the best of my knowledge.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    I have this happen to me, but 2 rings of my bell, plus a wave or smile and I'm past them in 5 seconds and have forgotten it ever happened 30 seconds later.

As far as problems go, this barely even registers for me. And yes they should be going against traffic to the best of my knowledge.
    this^

my Surly has an exposed cable on the toptube. i pull it up and let it twang on the bike frame. it sounds like a the perfect trail bell.

i dont think about where the pedestrains are..i usually have three heavy set ladies wearing the max-sized Lululemon type pants/tights walking three wide on my trail. passing fast and polite is best for everyone. helps to dim the lights too.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    My point was pedestrians not using a sidewalk when one is available. I think our MUPS need to be divided like roads and be 2 way. And those lycra wearing walkers can't hear your bell because they have earbud in both ears.

I realize we all live in different cities with varying levels of MUPS and sidewalks. Yes we are all part of the problem. But pedestrians knowing they have the right of way think they can use the road or MUP as they wish without thinking of motorists and cyclist.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snailspace View Post
    But pedestrians knowing they have the right of way think they can use the road or MUP as they wish without thinking of motorists and cyclist.
    You're implying vehicle users have more entitlement to roadways than pedestrians? That's similar logic to what motorists use when describing cyclists on the roadways.

mtbr member
    Since I also walk for exercise, I'll just note that if along a roadway, I walk facing traffic, on a sidewalk if available. On a MUP however, as far to the right as possible walking with traffic.

All in all, I'm not as afraid of a two wheeler as a 4K pound car, which may be driven by a distracted driver.