Rules for a wide bike lane- Mtbr.com
    I Have Cookies

New question here. Rules for a wide bike lane

My Commute goes past the College and there is a wide (aprox 8 foot) bike lane and there's always a bunch of Pedestiens walking 2-3 abreast and are not very responsive to bells, shouts, clicking my brake levers. What's the rule for this situation? Also there's no sidewalk.....
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

banned
    Sep 2010
    As much as you want to throw an elbow or two , yield to peds , even when they are in the wrong . In other words take the high road , you will feel better at the end of the day .

Ride-Drink Beer-Repeat
    I'm a spitter. Just hock one up " loudly" about 10 yards behind them and they will be out of your way when you arrive
    The Internet: All the piracy, none of the scurvy.

mtbr member
    It is a poor setup to be near campus with no sidewalks. If you the path is alongside the traffic lanes and you can leave the bike path into the traffic lane safely and back, do it. If you can take to a lawn alongside, the city/university deserves trashed turf for poor infrastructure. If you must push past on the path, and you bell, "On your left" and shouts don't work, are you just dropping to walking speed behind them, or do you just slow and squeeze by? Commuting by the same place leaves you open for an ambush by the group and friends if you do anything retaliatory. The pedestrian is always right and the student is usually oblivious to anything but the conversation. Students are notorious late risers usually, maybe a shift in work hours is possible? Good luck.

local trails rider
    ... "I'm not in a hurry, after all, ladies. I can stay here watching your (insert adjective) backsides" ...

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    ... "I'm not in a hurry, after all, ladies. I can stay here watching your (insert adjective) backsides" ...
    Not sure this will work very well if these pedestrians play in the defensive line of the football team...

LCI #1853
    There's no special rules. You are obliged to yield to pedestrains; if you hit one of them, it's your ass.

Knowing well how they like to wander randomly in flocks as you describe, you can get a bike bell to warn them you're coming up behind and to please share the road a little bit...

... or better yet, get an AirZounds ;-)
    Ride a mountain bike... you will not regret it if you live.
    (with apologies to Mark Twain & The Taming of the Bicycle)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    Not sure this will work very well if these pedestrians play in the defensive line of the football team...
    Sure it will! As a bonus, you'll get to work on your sprint training.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You can express your displeasure, but you can touch anyone else...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ubernerd
    Sure it will! As a bonus, you'll get to work on your sprint training.
    If you are in a good accellerating ratio and can stay out of arm's reach for the first couple of yards, otherwise....even then, you will meet again tomorrow...

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PscyclePath
    ... or better yet, get an AirZounds ;-)
    I have one of these. BEST piece of commuting gear I own. Sometimes it works on dogs, blondes on cell phones in cars. It'll always work on pedestrians.

My first warning would be to freewheel and let my hub talk for me. If that doesn't work, I give an 'excuse me'. If they still don't listen, I increase the volume. If they still aren't paying attention, out comes the horn.

Normally, I try not to commingle with the pedestrians, but there are a couple roads in town where the city posts signs for cyclists to ride on the sidewalks due to traffic or narrow streets or whatever. Most people move when they hear my hub buzz...and it's only an old XT, not a really noisy one like a Hope or a King.

ride the moment
    In Oregon you can't walk in the road if there is an adjacent sidewalk. You also can't ride your bike in a car lane if there is an adjacent bike lane. So if someone is walking in a bike lane and there is no sidewalk I slow down and do whatever because we both have the right to be there. However, this town is covered in sidewalks so usually it's the situation you describe of college students being idiots. In that case, if they can see me I get right in the middle of the lane and put the hammer down. I also do this for people riding the wrong way in the bike lane because ours have arrows and it's the law you have to go with traffic. They always move. If they can't see me I put the hammer down and buzz them, trying intentionally to startle them. I take pleasure in hearing some random sorostitute shriek as I blow by inches away. If the walkers have a right to be there then let them be, if not then I see no reason to coddle them. I also have no sympathy for bikers who intentionally get out in traffic when our town is littered with bike lanes. Be where you're supposed to be or suffer the consequences.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

weirdo
    If the bike lane is always full of wandering pedestrians, I`d take the first lane that wasn`t full or change my route.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    I don't like it when cars go past 8" off my handlebars and I don't think it is good we do the same to pedestrians. It is road rage. A pedestrian stupid enough to be violating a bike lane when there is a sidewalk is likely stupid enough that they don't know how close they came to being really hurt and learn form it. It isn't a teachable moment. I agree with not enabling, though. I ran over a student photojournalist who stepped out in front of me as I crossed the finish line of an organized race on a campus street. I looked up saw a huge lens and Wham! That hurt! I suspect that was a teachable moment. I have also moved over to convince cyclist to get over and even come to a complete stop on my side (and was hit because the other ride panicked and did not steer clear, Darwin 1 and Beautiful Godzilla 0: broken collar bone). I have also come close to pedestrians in dark clothing at night and no flashlights walking the wrong way who put me in a sqeeze play by not looking before they started to converge. It was blast through or hit one. That was not intential scaring but necessary avoidance. May have scared better beahior but doubt it.

The OP's case listed has no sidewalks so the university or college has set up an unsafe situation for cyclsits and pedestrians. I would try to avoid it and get video to document the liability and make sure it is recorded and presented to the appropriate people.

We have no sidewalks and buzzing pedestrians walking on the road because there is nowhere else to walk, is not tolerated. It is sometimes hard to remain a good ambassador to cycling and seek fair treatment as a cyclist. That's life.

So it looks like 1. try a new route, 2, Airzound and video documentation 3. Try to educate the regulars to watch for you with a wave and good morning so that some help you get by.

Maybe others have something that worked for them.

mtbr member
    How busy is the road, and what's speed limit? If the road isn't too bad I would just ride that whole section in the car lane and crank it hard to get through quickly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom93R1
    How busy is the road, and what's speed limit? If the road isn't too bad I would just ride that whole section in the car lane and crank it hard to get through quickly.
    Me too.

mtbr member
    Road. As long as it isn't in Oregon, apparently. That was my suggestion, too.

Moderator Moderator
    No user conflicts on our rec path today... because it was underwater from all the rain....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rules for a wide bike lane-underwater.jpg  

mtbr member
    Got to watch for the three scuba divers abreast though!

weirdo
    Three breasted scuba divers? And to think that I saw them on Mulberry Street....
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Bike path's/Multi user paths pretty much suck. You have a bunch of walkers/dog walkers/runners and even other cyclists paying no attention to what is going on and going 5 wide. I try to take the road whenever possible.

Hooked
    My fav is the folks with two dogs, both on long leashes...one sniffing the grass on one side of the wide, two way bike path, the other sniffing the grass of the other side.

cvs
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    and the leashes are attached to their waist, and they got head phones on!

Peds have right away and in this situation I would feel the ped is taking away your bike lane as if it did not exist. I believe the laws make the bicyclist more like a car so pick up the speed show your presence and get in the car lane, if not possible then slow up and shout from a ways back, until you can safely pass.

Oregon bike manual:

"a bicycle is a vehicle by law"

"You have a right to ride your bicycle on Oregon’s roads, streets and
    highways."

(travel lane = car lane)
    "If there is no shoulder or bike lane, and the travel lane is narrow,
    ride closer to the center of the lane. This will prevent motorists from
    passing you when there isn’t room. You should also take the lane when
    you’re traveling at the same speed as traffic. This will keep you out of
    motorists’ blind spots and reduce conflicts with right-turning traffic."

They even recommend coming out of the bike lane and act like a car when your flying. I totally agree with this otherwise your sticking yourself in a precarious situation, going so fast in a place that a car might want to over take you and in their perception the don't see you moving so fast. It may seem a little aggressive but is much safer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cvs
    Oregon bike manual:

"a bicycle is a vehicle by law" ...."You have a right to ride your bicycle on Oregon’s roads, streets and highways."

(travel lane = car lane) "....You should also take the lane when
    you’re traveling at the same speed as traffic. This will keep you out of
    motorists’ blind spots and reduce conflicts with right-turning traffic."

They even recommend coming out of the bike lane and act like a car when you're flying. ... a little aggressive but is much safer.
    Quote Originally Posted by dogbrain
    In Oregon you can't ..ride your bike in a car lane if there is an adjacent bike lane. ..... I also have no sympathy for bikers who intentionally get out in traffic when our town is littered with bike lanes. Be where you're supposed to be or suffer the consequences..
    There is just one Oregon, right? I detect a conflict in these two posts in how to handle a bike path/lane blocked by pedesrian traffic. Is it a Municipal restriction that you can't use the road if there is an adjacent bike lane? If so, is it posted at the town limits to alert cyclists entering town?

ride the moment
    First of all MUP's are a totally different story than bike lanes. On an MUP or trail, pedestrians have 100% right of way and I slow down to pass and stop if I have to. It's part of sharing. I also missed the OP's point that there is no sidewalk. Sounds like they have a legal right to be there and so you'll just have to share or take a different route, but I would probably get one of those air-horns because I'm a dick.

As for Oregon Laws...

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/BIKEPED/laws_regs.shtml

Open the ORS Summary...

814.070 Improper position upon or improperly proceeding along highway; penalty. (1) A pedestrian commits the
    offense of pedestrian with improper position upon or improperly proceeding along a highway if the pedestrian does any of
    the following:
    (a) Takes a position upon or proceeds along and upon the roadway where there is an adjacent usable sidewalk or shoulder.

If there is a sidewalk you are not allowed to walk in the roadway.

814.420 Failure to use bicycle lane or path; exceptions; penalty. (1) Except as provided in subsections (2) and (3) of this
    section, a person commits the offense of failure to use a bicycle lane or path if the person operates a bicycle on any portion
    of a roadway that is not a bicycle lane or bicycle path when a bicycle lane or bicycle path is adjacent to or near the
    roadway.
    (2) A person is not required to comply with this section unless the state or local authority with jurisdiction over the
    roadway finds, after public hearing, that the bicycle lane or bicycle path is suitable for safe bicycle use at reasonable rates
    of speed.
    (3) A person is not in violation of the offense under this section if the person is able to safely move out of the bicycle
    lane or path for the purpose of:
    (a) Overtaking and passing another bicycle, a vehicle or a pedestrian that is in the bicycle lane or path and passage
    cannot safely be made in the lane or path.
    (b) Preparing to execute a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
    (c) Avoiding debris or other hazardous conditions.
    (d) Preparing to execute a right turn where a right turn is authorized.
    (e) Continuing straight at an intersection where the bicycle lane or path is to the right of a lane from which a motor
    vehicle must turn right.
    (4) The offense described in this section, failure to use a bicycle lane or path, is a Class D traffic violation. [1983 c.338
    §700; 1985 c.16 §338; 2005 c.316 §3]

If there is a safe bike lane you have to use it. You can move out to pass, or turn, or avoid debris, or to continue straight when a vehicle turn lane crosses the bike lane.

My town is covered in bike lanes and sidewalks. It also bothers me when cyclists pick the two roads without bike lanes to travel on when there are roads to either side that have bike lanes. 3rd and 4th are a state highway through town, while 5th and 2nd have full length bike lanes. I think you should only ride down 3rd or 4th if you can keep up 25 mph. They do have a right to use it, but I feel the responsible choice is to use the bike lane. They all go the same way and have the same cross-streets because town is a perfect grid.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

cvs
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    yep if there is a bike lane you got to be in the bike lane but there are a lot of exceptions.

For bicyclists:

814.420 Failure to use bicycle lane or path; exceptions; penalty. (1) Except as provided in subsections (2) and (3) of this
    section, a person commits the offense of failure to use a bicycle lane or path if the person operates a bicycle on any portion
    of a roadway that is not a bicycle lane or bicycle path when a bicycle lane or bicycle path is adjacent to or near the
    roadway.
    (2) A person is not required to comply with this section unless the state or local authority with jurisdiction over the
    roadway finds, after public hearing, that the bicycle lane or bicycle path is suitable for safe bicycle use at reasonable rates
    of speed.
    (3) A person is not in violation of the offense under this section if the person is able to safely move out of the bicycle
    lane or path for the purpose of:
    (a) Overtaking and passing another bicycle, a vehicle or a pedestrian that is in the bicycle lane or path and passage
    cannot safely be made in the lane or path.
    (b) Preparing to execute a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
    (c) Avoiding debris or other hazardous conditions.
    (d) Preparing to execute a right turn where a right turn is authorized.
    (e) Continuing straight at an intersection where the bicycle lane or path is to the right of a lane from which a motor
    vehicle must turn right.
    (4) The offense described in this section, failure to use a bicycle lane or path, is a Class D traffic violation. [1983 c.338
    §700; 1985 c.16 §338; 2005 c.316 §3]

For Peds:

814.040 Failure to yield to vehicle; penalty. (1) A pedestrian commits the offense of pedestrian failure to yield to a
    vehicle if the pedestrian does any of the following:
    (a) Suddenly leaves a curb or other place of safety and moves into the path of a vehicle that is so close as to constitute an
    immediate hazard.
    (b) Fails to yield the right of way to a vehicle upon a roadway when the pedestrian is crossing the roadway at any point
    other than within a marked crosswalk or an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection.
    (c) Except as otherwise provided under the vehicle code, fails to yield the right of way to all vehicles upon the roadway.
    (2) The offense described in this section, pedestrian failure to yield to a vehicle, is a Class D traffic infraction. [1983 c.338
    §555; 1995 c.383 §84]

so if this is a major problem get the authorities and they can give out Class D traffic infractions to pedestrians. This is only oregon's laws off of oregon.gov, not sure where ae111black is from. Otherwise the city might want some pics and be putting in a sidewalk soon.

Members who have read this thread: 0