Rule #9 aka Singing In The Rain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rule #9 aka Singing In The Rain

I really love riding in the rain. My wife says I'm plum crazy.

As for Rule #9 - I could care less about being a badass. I just freaking love riding in the rain. Oh, I repeated myself. I love it.

I looked out the window this morning and saw that it was raining. I smiled. 30 minutes later as I was walking out the door it had stopped, I was bummed.

20 minutes into the ride it started sprinkling. Looking ahead I figured it was going to start raining again, I put on my rain gear. 10 minutes later I was in a steady downpour with a huge grin on my face.

As I neared work...I had time, so I turned and added a few miles in the steady rain. Have I said that I love riding in the rain?
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I enjoy a nice light rain. Emphasis on light, though...if I need to keep wiping the glasses, it's not fun.

Moderator Moderator
    I grew up in NYC and loved the rain because you could go out in the evening or on a weekend and seemingly have the city to yourself...a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge or to Battery Park, wandering with the dog, etc. I don't remember doing any bike riding in the rain then though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I like it because it keeps the hipsters off the bike and out of my way, but if I'm caught out on one of my fenderless bikes I hate it. I really don't understand how anyone would ride a fenderless bike in the rain, its torture.

mtbr member
    I don't have fenders on my bike. They are a seemingly useless accessory to be. As I see it, I'm getting wet anyways and I'm wearing my riding gear so why fuss with them? I did fashion kind of a splash guard of sorts on my rear rack just to keep from getting skunk striped with road grime.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    I like a good rain because it washes all the crap off my bike (while secretly replacing it with tiny, invisible crap). But I'll take snow anyday.

mtbr member
    Depends on the temperature. If it's warm and raining and I'm commuting, I don't like it. Then I'd get too hot wearing rain gear, but my clothes and shoes would be wet on the ride home. If it's not too hot but not too cold, so I can wear rain gear, I like it. If I'm out just riding recreationally, I'm all about it. I love the looks I get from drivers. I love not caring when I ride through a deep puddle. It makes me feel like a kid again.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    I don't have fenders on my bike. They are a seemingly useless accessory to be. As I see it, I'm getting wet anyways and I'm wearing my riding gear so why fuss with them? I did fashion kind of a splash guard of sorts on my rear rack just to keep from getting skunk striped with road grime.
    It's all about the front fender for me. I CANNOT STAND that line of spray coming up from the front tire and hanging there for me to ride through. I completely enjoy riding in the rain when my custom gorilla tape mudflap on my front fender is keeping that stupid spray thing at bay.

Also, I think you just said that you don't see the point of fenders, but you made a fender because you see the need for fenders. Calibrate me here....
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I thought fenders were dorky until I installed a set on my commuter, now I think they are great.

Remember that the rain from the sky is clean and refreshing. The splashing from the road is probably a mixture of water, dirt and urine.