Rolling Coal- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rolling Coal

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Been seeing this article a lot lately, but think I've only ever seen a few trucks putting out that sooty smoke, and always thought it was due to poor maintenance. Hoping this is some kind of elaborate trolling exercise - I just can't fathom anyone being disgusted enough with efforts to protect the planet that they live on that they would spend good money (both on equipment and increased fuel consumption) to maximize the damage they cause.

If it is real, I kind of hope someone does it to me so I can get a picture of myself covered in soot except for where my glasses were.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    I think It's ridiculous to think the reason people do this is to get back at Obama.

Is it a stupid thing to do? Yes. Does it mean that anyone doing it is a conservative environment hater? Do people really fall into cookie cutters like that?

But If anyone ever did that to me I would be livid.
    count your blessings

mtbr member
    In addition to being a cyclist, I'm also a car enthusiast. The website I frequent for my car news/blogs/discussion is Jalopnik. 98% of the posters on there even think rolling coal is disgusting and immature. This is the scum of society doing this. Bottom of the barrel. This has been going on for a lot longer than Obama has been president, but it just gives these disgusting losers another way to "protest" him. The good news is that this has now been getting a lot of negative press, the EPA has caught on as has law enforcement, so hopefully they do something to put an end to it. I would love to see federally mandated car inspections that were a lot harder to pass with illegal modifications. Also fewer exceptions for commercial vehicles, vehicles older than 25 years, etc.

CB of the East
    That has got to be one of the dumbest articles I've ever read. People chip tune their trucks to get more power. Dumb azz rednecks roll coal because it's obviously good fun for stupid hicks to have a chuckle at the expense of somebody else. To tie it to the EPA and Obama is just F-ing stupid.

I have a tuner on my diesel truck, it has been on there since before Obama was elected. If you hold the throttle to the floor it will "Roll Coal", OR, you can drive it every day and never see a hint of smoke.

I've had people both successfully and unsuccessfully intentionally try to roll coal when they pass me on my bike. I hope they wrap their redneck trucks around a sturdy oak tree and die. There is really no need for azzholes in the world.

Well, at least that's my opinion.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I had a guy in a Chevy HD attempt to roll coal on me in my white Mustang. He tried, but I was onto his antics. He saw me pull out of the car wash, and the car was spotless. He probably thought it would be funny to cover my car in soot. It didn't happen.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    That has got to be one of the dumbest articles I've ever read...To tie it to the EPA and Obama is just F-ing stupid
    I've been reading Slate on-and-off for getting close to 20 years (ever since I signed up for a hotmail account and it started showing up in my inbox) and every year it gets dumber. It's all about the clicks. Tomorrow they'll probably publish a contrarian article about how stupid this article was.

But that being said, this looks just like Alberta, and I'd have trouble pinning that on Obama or the EPA.

The only thing missing is that around here a lot of those trucks would have a Confederate Flag license plate on the front. (this is western canada, which during the civil war was legally just a giant stockroom for the Hudson's Bay Company).

I'm genuinely surprised that I've yet to see someone driving around with a nazi flag - not because they're trying to make some sort of statement, but just because they're clueless and think it makes them look badass. Some people are just idiots.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    This is the scum of society doing this. Bottom of the barrel.
    Ugh. Every time I think the barrel can't possibly get deeper...
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

since 4/10/2009
    yep, I've been seeing this for a long time. a lot more of it recently, though, probably due to better availability of parts on the internet.

I agree that it's a bottom of the barrel thing, and the thing about those at the bottom of the barrel is that they love new excuses/reasons to do things. A new excuse pops up and they latch onto it.

mtbr member
    I've been rolled a few times, but not in many years. Here in Colorado rollin' a cyclists would fall under the felony harassment law passed in 2009. Though, getting the LEOs to do anything about it is a different matter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Obama is pro-helping the environment? I'm going to try to pollute as much as possible! FLOTUS suggests that kids eat healthy and get a little exercise? My kid is going to sit in front of the TV for 10 hrs/day and eat solely bacon fat. That'll show 'em!

Never underestimate the stupidity & ignorance of redneck America <sigh>

I don't get 'coal-douched' on my commute [knock on wood] - but it has happened many times on rides north of Boulder CO</sigh>

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I have a short fat little douchebag in a giant dually that did that to me twice on my commute. I have asthma and that **** can set it off. I got his plate number the second time and called 911 and reported him for drunk driving.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I've seen that for years around the midwest. Typically it's a dipsh*t redneck with an inferiority complex, fat white oakley's, and a flat brim hat. These people are typically the embarrassment of the community and nobody likes them, not just us cyclists. I'm really hoping this becomes a federally illegal activity. Feel free to tune your cars, I do it all the time, just don't be such a douche about it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm with everyone else, its a redneck thing and its not new. A lot of people with pickups have semi-truck envy. Not sure why, but every hilly billy with a diesel thinks he's an over the road trucker. I think its the same way stupid suburban kids make their imports look like "tuners" even though they aren't. They even sell speakers that'll make it sound like a turbo blow off for you stock Honda. Nothing but a bunch of wannabes

It does seem when I encounter people in lifted pick ups they are overly hostile towards me. Maybe they think I'm some city slicker liberal on a bike and they just instantly hate me. Or maybe its because size of vehicle and penis is inversely proportional, they get mad that I'm hung like a donkey while they're on the same level as a mouse.

Perpetual n00b

Re: Rolling Coal

Everyone knows how I feel about this subject: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=10932682
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Guess I was just naive as I thought these guys just had poorly maintained trucks. Little did I know that it was on purpose but after doing research in the field (my daily commute) I realize it's just the redneck version of tuner cars: idiots with more credit than brains attempting to be manly. I've been rolled a couple of times on the commute and I find it funny that they go out of their way to do this. Stupid puerile juvenile immaturity. I'm all for those who tune their cars, but this is stupid. Found this from Bike Portland, quite amusing: Truck driver does 'rolling coal' on riders, and one of them is a bike cop - BikePortland.org

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    I have never been rolled on my commute. There was one idiot that tried, but he didn't realize that it's not enough just to screw up your exhaust system with a ridiculous looking stack sticking through the bed of the truck, you need a chip. I did see it happen while driving just last weekend, it was a really horrible idea in a very congested area with a lot of cars around. I hope the legal response to this activity shuts all these people down. And the idea of smoking Priuses better not catch on, I might have to take preempive action agains diesel pickups

mtbr member
    I am a part of the diesel community and we hate it just as much as you guys. To answer some people thinking that it is poor maintenance.. it's unburnt fuel exiting the engine. B/c we have a turbocharger to increase engine efficiency we can pin the throttle and the turbo doesn't have time to spool up and what you get is a ton of black smoke and high exhaust gas temps..

It's a shame.. and as someone said earlier in the thread.. Diesel Trucks are the new Tuner/Ricers.

It's hated by 95% of the Diesel community but there are that 5% that get the most hits/articles/notice...

Every-time I see someone post about this I feel bad for them.. Just know it's not everyone..

Clueless Bastard
    Thanks jkidd, it's not like mountain bikers are immune from their share of "finger" pointing.

It's just too damned bad we can't be a little nicer to each other, even if we don't share the same interests, huh?

mtbr member
    Find out where they live. Wait till winter. Unplug at -10. Wont be rolling coal on anybody.
    count your blessings

mtbr member
    Using pejoratives and blanket statements doesn't make a stronger argument against this sort of behavior. Advocating violence is just lowering the standards to the level of the actions decried.

"Rollin' Coal" is reprehensible on many levels. There is better language to describe these actions without resorting to prejudiced language and generalizations. That's the game they want to play. It's a race to the bottom. The best thing is to not play the game. Get a plate number and a description of the driver; call the police; file a report. Be insistent that charges are pressed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    Using pejoratives and blanket statements doesn't make a stronger argument against this sort of behavior. Advocating violence is just lowering the standards to the level of the actions decried.

"Rollin' Coal" is reprehensible on many levels. There is better language to describe these actions without resorting to prejudiced language and generalizations. That's the game they want to play. It's a race to the bottom. The best thing is to not play the game. Get a plate number and a description of the driver; call the police; file a report. Be insistent that charges are pressed.
    Says the guy with an avatar of a dude punching someone?? haha.. just kidding but seriously the issue is not with the truck.. it's the D bag in the seat... if he was in anything else that made him feel "tough" he would be doing other ignorant stuff.

I go to a big diesel event every summer and I had my bike with me and went and hit pisgah and such while I was there. I was very surprised at how many of the diesel guys were very interested in mountain biking. Enough so that people would randomly stop at my camp area to ask questions. Most were open about smoking out bikes.. but most admitted it was only when someone was blocking a whole lane up a hill or other assorted actions that I consider douche worthy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Says the guy with an avatar of a dude punching someone?? haha.. just kidding
    That's the Badger: context.

Most were open about smoking out bikes.. but most admitted it was only when someone was blocking a whole lane up a hill or other assorted actions that I consider douche worthy.
    That line of thinking is wrong. Full stop. No matter the actions of other road users it is never acceptable to place them in an unsafe situation. What you're describing is when a tool stops being a tool and becomes a weapon.

In most places bicycles are allowed to take a full lane. It is the duty and responsibility of the overtaking vehicle to pass a slower vehicle with due care. What you're advocating is reckless, careless behavior and in some states assault. Here's a fun exercise to get over the motorists' superiority complex: pretend cyclists on the roadway are slow moving vehicles (say a car, or farm equipment) and pass them as you would one of those vehicles. Patience won't kill you, but it will save a life. Take ten seconds out of your day to safely pass cyclists, no matter their actions. Take the higher road.

In Colorado the applicable statutes are:

C.R.S. 42-4-1003, (B) THE DRIVER OF A MOTOR VEHICLE OVERTAKING A BICYCLIST PROCEEDING IN THE SAME DIRECTION SHALL ALLOW THE BICYCLIST AT LEAST A THREE-FOOT SEPARATION BETWEEN THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE DRIVER'S VEHICLE, INCLUDING ALL MIRRORS OR OTHER PROJECTIONS, AND THE LEFT SIDE OF THE BICYCLIST AT ALL TIMES.

C.R.S. 42-4-1008.5. CROWDING OR THREATENING BICYCLIST. (1) THE DRIVER OF A MOTOR VEHICLE SHALL NOT, IN A CARELESS AND IMPRUDENT MANNER, DRIVE THE VEHICLE UNNECESSARILY CLOSE TO, TOWARD, OR NEAR A BICYCLIST.

C.R.S. 18-9-116. Throwing missiles at vehicles - harassment of bicyclists. [A> (1) <A] Any person who knowingly projects any missile at or against any vehicle or equipment designed for the transportation of persons or property, [A> OTHER THAN A BICYCLE, <A] commits a class 1 petty offense.

[A> (2) ANY PERSON WHO KNOWINGLY PROJECTS ANY MISSILE AT OR AGAINST A BICYCLIST COMMITS A CLASS 2 MISDEMEANOR. <A]

[A> (3) AS USED IN THIS SECTION, "MISSILE" MEANS ANY OBJECT OR SUBSTANCE. <A]

mtbr member
    A comparison to a farm implement is a pipe dream.. I live in reality.. Running into a giant tractor will be the end of me. Some jackass taking up a lane on a 20lb bike when they could clearly take up 1/2 the lane and not affect traffic flow..

Your state laws do nothing but prove my point.. The bikers in question could be in the right side of there lane and the drivers would still be meeting all laws by providing the 3ft barrier and pass in a reasonable fashion..

Whereas when a biker stays on the left side of the lane they make it more difficult to pass and aggravate the driver. Thus possibly causing escalation of the situation.

If I was biking i'd stay right.. for my own safety.

and smoking someone out is not exactly putting them in danger.. most trucks cannot totally black out the sun, typical amateurs. I have a drag truck that certainly can.. but then again I use nitrous to light the chargers at the strip..

banned
    Jan 2013
    Staying to the right is very dangerous. It encourages aggressive drivers to encroach into your space, invading your safety.

That said, road riding is stupid unless you are commuting, and even then its better to stay to paths and sidewalks wherever possible. I'll pay a ticket and stay alive thank you. Just be courtious to everyone out there, especially peds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

A comparison to a farm implement is a pipe dream.. I live in reality.. Running into a giant tractor will be the end of me. Some jackass taking up a lane on a 20lb bike when they could clearly take up 1/2 the lane and not affect traffic flow..

Your state laws do nothing but prove my point.. The bikers in question could be in the right side of there lane and the drivers would still be meeting all laws by providing the 3ft barrier and pass in a reasonable fashion..

Whereas when a biker stays on the left side of the lane they make it more difficult to pass and aggravate the driver. Thus possibly causing escalation of the situation.

and smoking someone out is not exactly putting them in danger.. most trucks cannot totally black out the sun, typical amateurs. I have a drag truck that certainly can.. but then again I use nitrous to light the chargers at the strip..
    So because it is your life, you will drive appropriately around tractors, but you could give a rat's a$$ about a bicyclist. Poor logic if your aim is to act like a decent human.

I do take the lane when its width prevents vehicles from passing me with sufficient space or a blind corner would cause them to swerve back on me if an oncoming vehicle popped around; it is never "to be a jackass" as you so kindly put it, but rather for the safety of those on the road, myself included. Think about that the next time you come up on a legal road user that you could plow over of it's your life vs theirs. Your time (or those of your smoke-rolling comrads) is never of greater worth than someone's life or health, even if they are in the wrong.

mtbr member
    A comparison to a farm implement is a pipe dream.. I live in reality..
    I respectfully beg to differ as a one time frequent driver of various pieces and sizes of farm equipment and as a cyclist,motorist, diesel truck driver, and pedestrian.

Running into a giant tractor will be the end of me. Some jackass taking up a lane on a 20lb bike when they could clearly take up 1/2 the lane and not affect traffic flow..
    Am I understanding this correctly? That you gauge how you will respect the traffic which is in front of you based solely on how much damage occurs to you in a collision?

I hope I am mistaken about that.

Do you respect for the life of the fellow American ahead of you and the people who love them?

I hope so.

Are you are willing to main or kill because you are held up a few seconds which may be lost at the next traffic light anyway?

That bit of time just doesn't matter. Great. Now I am channeling Bill Murray in "Meatballs"!

That cyclist might be your boss's kid or your boss. Or the pre-med student who as a skilled doctor might come across you on the road after an accident 10 years from now. and save your life.

Are you willing to ignore the fact that you have a license to drive that requires you avoid the accident if at all possible even if the other person messed up? That is the law in the three sates and one province I have had driver's licenses in. I suspect it is a universal law in the states at least.

A driver's license is not a license to kill it is a permit to use the roads in a safe manner. A bigger vehicle does not provide a superior right of way or semis could run over all of us. The right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is enshrined in our constitution. The cyclist ahead of you is asking for respect I hope that you weren't suggesting that they lost their civil rights because they ride a bike.

Many states specify that the cyclist can be as far as 3 feet from the edge of the pavement regularly and more is safety demand it. Wisconsin is one that specifies 3 feet and not "reasonable" as Indiana does. Just because the poster did not cite the Colorado law, does not mean Colorado doesn't have one. It has:

"A bicyclist shall not be expected or required to:
    Ride over or through hazards at the edge of a roadway, including but not limited to fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or narrow lanes; or
    Ride without a reasonable safety margin on the right-hand side of the roadway."

Emphasis is mine. It is clearly the cyclist's opinion that counts in this law as to where to safely place the bike in the lane, as it should be. In fact, safety experts (all I have read) suggest taking the center of the lane whenever it is unsafe to pass in the lane with the cyclist. The narrow lanes and safety margin suggest the cyclist may elect to ride the center of the lane and not be in violation. Even if the cyclist was, a following motorist does not have the right to run him down.

Your state laws do nothing but prove my point. The bikers in question could be in the right side of there lane and the drivers would still be meeting all laws by providing the 3ft barrier and pass in a reasonable fashion.
    There is that legal requirement in every state law I have read and in the Colorado one, that the cyclist maintain a safe distance to the road edge to allow for wind gusts etc. Say we use Wisconsin's 3 feet as being a reasonable allowance enshrined in one state's law as equivalent to "reasonable" stated in most state laws. So three feet to road edge. I am 2 feet wide. Add 3 feet clearance. That is eight feet. Most Indiana roads I ride have lanes 9-10' wide some much less. So just where is anyone other than a moped, motorcycle, or another cyclist going to pass safely in such a lane? If you need part of the oncoming lane you may as well use the whole thing. Nobody else is using it if you are passing safely. Everybody wins. If there is oncoming traffic you could not safely pass anyway.

This only escalates the situation if the driver does not know the traffic laws and is not willing to share the road in a reasonable and safe fashion. As a cyclist I can't fix that either. The cyclist does not control that. The driver does. I have bright lights that work in the daylight I return the the avoidance of a collision if at all possible and a license as a permit to share the road.

Sounds like you rarely use you bike on the road. That is fine. It does limit your experience and frame of reference. After a couple of Ford F 350 mirrors nearly decapitated me by my "staying right" and allowing them to squeeze by, I re-evaluated how safe that is. It just isn't. That is one reason why safely experts recommend not hugging the edge of the lane. I also found that multiple bight tail lights alerted drivers sooner and they have responded vary well. So I can help drivers do the right thing. I can't make them do anything.

This driver has a low wind condition let his cloud hang right where riders are pulling hard up a grade and sucking all that in. They can't just "hold their breath with their heart rates at 85-95% of max.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdDxjge5hmY

I was cycling with a liver condition due to mercury poisoning that slowed my detoxing of chemicals and fumes make my fingers swell and itch. I couldn't walk by perfume counters without risking hives. Cigarette smoke sent me into a coughing jag. I have eased the toxicity a lot in three years but I need no extra toxins from anyone.

You apparently agree that deliberately Rolling Coal on cyclists is uncalled for, too. So I think will consider my reply in an equally fair manner. Keep on truckin'.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post

Am I understanding this correctly? That you gauge how you will respect the traffic which is in front of you based solely on how much damage occurs to you in a collision?

I hope I am mistaken about that.

Do you respect for the life of the fellow American ahead of you and the people who love them?

I hope so.

Are you are willing to main or kill because you are held up a few seconds which may be lost at the next traffic light anyway?

You apparently agree that deliberately Rolling Coal on cyclists is uncalled for, too. So I think will consider my reply in an equally fair manner. Keep on truckin'.
    Like I stated earlier, I live in reality.. If i'm gonna crash out a truck I aim for the smallest impact. It I hit ice and lose it do I aim for a car, a truck, or a wall? I aim for the car. Least damage to me. People may say different but in that event anyone that wants to survive will do whatever it takes to come out alive.

I feel for the commuter but I just look at it from a realistic point of view.. at least the one in my head that seems the best.

You are correct and stating that I don't commute. I don't. That's on my to do list but I won't be taking the busy routes for certain. I am lucky enough to live in a community where I have bike paths about 60% of the way to work.

I wish the rolling coal would stop but I know it won't.. and even if it does people will find a new and innovative way to act like a F*cking idiot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Quote Originally Posted by musikron View Post
    That said, road riding is stupid unless you are commuting, and even then its better to stay to paths and sidewalks wherever possible. I'll pay a ticket and stay alive thank you. Just be courtious to everyone out there, especially peds.
    stupid? How?
    Because you don't road ride?

Both mtb and road riding is dangerous. Its just that the mtb that was air lifted from a remote location doesn't really get on the news. Or lost and frozen to death(remember that post?) I believe its up to 3 separate air lifts that I have seen mentioned on this site around my area this year alone. What about all the other injuries? broken bones, cracked ribs, dislocated shoulder

Neither sport is safe. If you think you are safer on a mtb, you are delusional.

Back on topic. I was coal rolled once. Don't think it was intenional as the truck has normal exhaust not the stacks and it was over 20 yrs ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Like I stated earlier, I live in reality.
    Actually none of us live in the actual reality out there. We all live in the construct of reality we see in our heads. It is not the same thing. It is colored by our experience and biases and part of the reason eyewitnesses differ. So you live in your reality and I live in mine. I respect yours, please respect mine.

If i'm gonna crash out a truck I aim for the smallest impact. It I hit ice and lose it do I aim for a car, a truck, or a wall? I aim for the car. Least damage to me. People may say different but in that event anyone that wants to survive will do whatever it takes to come out alive.
    I have over a million miles under my wheels. In my limited experience with crashes, aiming has very little to do with it. When I could still aim, I avoided accidents. Knowing how vulnerable pedestrians and cyclists are, I would try my best to avoid a collision with any if I had any control left. After all, I have a shoulder and lap belt, air bags, side curtain bags, door beams, bumpers, sequential crush-impact absorbing steel cage. They have nothing. I don't want them on my conscience when I am likely to only have bruises. I like to respect the person I see in the mirror as having tried his best to avoid carnage.

I feel for the commuter but I just look at it from a realistic point of view.. at least the one in my head that seems the best.
    Don't get me wrong, if it is run over the cyclist or plummet 1000 feet to my certain death, I would hope to minimize the damage to the cyclist, as I am not sacrificing myself unless I royally screwed up. Then it is my bad and see no reason for the poor schmuck to pay for my screw-up. But that's just me, I guess. If you can you avoid the accident.

You are correct and stating that I don't commute. I don't. That's on my to do list but I won't be taking the busy routes for certain. I am lucky enough to live in a community where I have bike paths about 60% of the way to work.
    When you do, trust me, your view of reality will change. I think most in this forum will concur on that. I also avoid the worst roads and times. Now the County Fair is on and the main route is my main route out of here. I will be very careful when I ride and in which direction. Discretion IS the better part of valor. Glad you have good bike paths. We don't even have sidewalks on most streets.

I wish the rolling coal would stop but I know it won't.. and even if it does people will find a new and innovative way to act like a F*cking idiot.
    Even the smartest among us occasionally do something truly stupid and inconsiderate at times, so that can be the basis for some forgiveness of others. Still, there are a few terminally stupid or sociopaths and you just hope they screw up in front of law enforcement.

I suspect we have beat this dead horse long enough. Happy cycling.

mtbr member

Rolling Coal

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post

I suspect we have beat this dead horse long enough. Happy cycling.
    I concur. Happy and safe commuting to you sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    stupid? How?
    Because you don't road ride?

Both mtb and road riding is dangerous. Its just that the mtb that was air lifted from a remote location doesn't really get on the news. Or lost and frozen to death(remember that post?) I believe its up to 3 separate air lifts that I have seen mentioned on this site around my area this year alone. What about all the other injuries? broken bones, cracked ribs, dislocated shoulder

Neither sport is safe. If you think you are safer on a mtb, you are delusional.

Back on topic. I was coal rolled once. Don't think it was intenional as the truck has normal exhaust not the stacks and it was over 20 yrs ago.

Not really, I am in control of my fate on the MTB, in the road little miss text and mr too many drinks gets that power.

Most of these airlifted guys you mentioned are taking "XTREEME!" chances, riding like they saw the redbull guys to it. Yes, people fall down stairs, choke on pretzels, and get struck by lightning all the time, but I am talking about reducing risk. I've been riding MTB for 25 years, and have never gotten more than a minor injury, (skinned knee, hip bruise, thorns) and few of those at that. All because I choose not to ride like "I seen 'em do in the movies", but ride in a safe responsible manner. I still have all kinds of stupid fun without literally risking my neck.

The road is not so controlled. For one I personally find it mind-numbingly boring to be tooling along on an ugly, featureless, scar of a road. I hate pavement, I hate cars, and I hate unnatural surfaces and development. Add to that the fact that any moron, regardless of intelligence or moral principals, can operate the deadliest mass produced weapon in the history of the world inches from my mortal body with no expectation they will be held accountable for their actions. That would indeed make me stupid for choosing to participate in a recreational activity that simultaneously utilizes the same public space with a brood sow with 4 screaming kids in the back of her SUV, cellphone in one hand and big mac in the other. The very last thing on her mind is my dumb ass up ahead of her on my tiny, invisible, slow, bike.

She'll say she didn't see me, I won't say a word cause I'll be dead.

banned
    Jan 2013
    I also almost never have had trouble with any natural features, its always man made stuff on the trails that causes the biggest ouchies..

BOT

I feel sorry for a coal rollers wife.

Hmm Obama and coal rolling??
    Maybe the rollers have a latent homosexual attraction to Obama. They know they'll never actually get to indulge their fantasy, so they go around blowing big black pipes full of hot **** air since its basically the same thing?

Thats why ten years ago they hung balls from the back of their trucks maybe?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Sounds like you have a lot of hate in your system. Best see a shrink cause it isn't healthy.

And not so much in control of you fate on the trails that you think you are. Flat, tire wash, blind corners on trails, too many unknowns to list and each can result in a crash. Saying air lifted is mostly the result of extreem chances, you were there and witnessed the accident?

Control is an illusion, difficult to grasp, harder to keep.

Ever wonder why this site has a forum dedicated to injured riders, yet the sister site dedicated to roadies does not?

mtbr member
    Like I stated earlier, I live in reality.. If i'm gonna crash out a truck I aim for the smallest impact. It I hit ice and lose it do I aim for a car, a truck, or a wall? I aim for the car. Least damage to me. People may say different but in that event anyone that wants to survive will do whatever it takes to come out alive.

You have a case of cyclist inferiority complex and motorist superiority complex. A dangerous mix of ignorance and callousness.

mtbr member

Rolling Coal

Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    You have a case of cyclist inferiority complex and motorist superiority complex. A dangerous mix of ignorance and callousness.
    No, I simply accept the fact that in the battle of car vs bike, the car always wins.

I ride motorcycles. Guess what? I'm defensive as hell. And I still almost get tagged by some jackass eating a burger while blindly merging in traffic. I hate it but that is the inherent danger I take to commute on my motorcycle.

Should bikes and cars have equal rights? Sure. Do they? Sure. Should you be very careful and aware that ppl are texting and doing 50 other things while driving? God I hope so.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    No, I simply accept the fact that in the battle of car vs bike, the car always wins.

I ride motorcycles. Guess what? I'm defensive as hell. And I still almost get tagged by some jackass eating a burger while blindly merging in traffic. I hate it but that is the inherent danger I take to commute on my motorcycle.

Should bikes and cars have equal rights? Sure. Do they? Sure. Should you be very careful and aware that ppl are texting and doing 50 other things while driving? God I hope so.

Suggesting that people ride defensively is pretty different from saying you'd aim for the softest target in a collision because you don't care about other people. One is common sense, the other is sociopathy.

mtbr member

Rolling Coal

Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    Suggesting that people ride defensively is pretty different from saying you'd aim for the softest target in a collision because you don't care about other people. One is common sense, the other is sociopathy.
    I don't aim. I choose the path of least resistance.

And I care about people just as much as they would care about me.

I've had lots of accidents where people have hit our gooseneck trails and trucks.

Guess how many admitted that they messed up?? None. Every single one blamed me cuz I had a trailer. And every single one of them had there insurance pay out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

I've had lots of accidents where people have hit our gooseneck trails and trucks.

Guess how many admitted that they messed up?? None. Every single one blamed me cuz I had a trailer. And every single one of them had there insurance pay out.
    So what's substantively different between aiming and "choosing the path of least resistance"?

And the cyclists don't care about you? Or they're the ones that hit your trucks?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Some jackass taking up a lane on a 20lb bike when they could clearly take up 1/2 the lane and not affect traffic flow..

The bikers in question could be in the right side of there lane and the drivers would still be meeting all laws by providing the 3ft barrier and pass in a reasonable fashion..

Geez wrong on so many levels....

First can't pass unles it is safe to do so period.

Second can only roll coal on the biker after the pass, so it is always retribution.

Third just cause something is frustrating you doesn't mean you have carte blanch to relieve your frustration.

Doesn't matter how weak the smoke it is still smoke.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Are you're promoting taking up a entire vehicle lane vs. riding "to the right" side of the lane so vehicles can [easily] pass you? I, along with everyone I know who's ever ridden a bike, would 100% disagree with that - and that would be a good way to get yourself shot or in a altercation in a redneck area such as outside of Boulder.

Also - as a ex Cat 1 with many tens of thousands of miles ridden and commuting a couple thousand miles/yr now - riding on sidewalks is inherently dangerous vs riding in the road. Turning cars don't see cyclists on sidewalks and every intersection is an opportunity to get cut off or hit by a motorist turning in or pulling out. IMHO of course. For me - it is way safer and faster to ride in the road - on the right side so cars can easily pass. (Most CO roads are 15" wide - so even with a safe buffer vehicles have 10" to get by w/o going out of their lane - 99.99% drivers have no problems. That said - I did ride on the sidewalks on 1 commute home - it was in the middle of a 15" blizzard and I couldn't hold a line for s#it on my cross bike - so I did ride sidewalks in the interest of self preservation.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If i'm gonna crash out a truck I aim for the smallest impact. It I hit ice and lose it do I aim for a car, a truck, or a wall? I aim for the car. Least damage to me. People may say different but in that event anyone that wants to survive will do whatever it takes to come out alive.

Again so much wrong.

First all accidents happen so fast you don't get to chose what you hit or what hits you.

The rare exception is the slow motion ice crash.....and I aim to miss everything...and have always suceded in missing every thing.

Sometimes you have to take a lane to ensure your safety when riing on the road...lots of drivers don't think you have to.....but the question is not up to the driver behind you it is up to the cyclist if he considers it safe...and sometimes blocking the idiot is the safe thing to do.

Try commuting for a year or two you will learn a whole bunch....and by the way my route is all residential and paths, but for a 1.5 mile section...in the downtown core...and yes I have had to block people for my own good.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Again geez

You need to work on the golden rule...

Of course you have never been wrong in your entire life, no contributed to anything ever going wrong

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BC_CO View Post
    That said - I did ride on the sidewalks on 1 commute home - it was in the middle of a 15" blizzard and I couldn't hold a line for s#it on my cross bike - so I did ride sidewalks in the interest of self preservation.
    When it snows bad here I often grab the lane, and guess what the cars understand and help out.

The sidewalks are generally just as buried and often more so with plowed snow.

If the traffic is too fast the yes I get out of the way...but it almost never is when it snows bad.

mtbr member

Rolling Coal

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Again geez

You need to work on the golden rule...

Of course you have never been wrong in your entire life, no contributed to anything ever going wrong
    That's the thing. I have been in accidents and I took responsibility for the accidents.

I had a shop not torque the lug nuts on my trailer. They came look and a wheel took off on its own and hit a minivan. $1800 damage. I could have told the lady tough sh!t it's the shop's fault (like an @sshole) but I had her take it to any shop she wanted and get the van fixed. And I paid. Then I went to the shop that did the work and we worked out an arrangement.

But I very seldom see people take responsibility for there actions. That's why I disregard most.

If I was to stand here and state that I never made a mistake my comments are without merit.

But I will admit mistakes, and more importantly learn from them. That's just as important and admitting the error.

~ B A D A S S ~
    I would like to have a coal roller on my commuter, how do I do it?? I was thinking maybe a hot air gun and some drip system that drips oil in it and a fan to disperse it.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    These seem to be made of coal and should roll very well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgTlWiqrPGE

Not quite what you had in mind, though. I suppose you could throw it at the truck.

Maybe modify something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j91GqEHY5iE

Not black, and likely not fast enough out in the wind. But a fun thing to see. And that lightens up this smoggy thread.

Hooligan
    Rolling Coal isn't that new.
    Umm Excuse me mam....Do you smoke? - YouTube
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    I am a part of the diesel community and we hate it just as much as you guys. To answer some people thinking that it is poor maintenance.. it's unburnt fuel exiting the engine. B/c we have a turbocharger to increase engine efficiency we can pin the throttle and the turbo doesn't have time to spool up and what you get is a ton of black smoke and high exhaust gas temps..

It's a shame.. and as someone said earlier in the thread.. Diesel Trucks are the new Tuner/Ricers.

It's hated by 95% of the Diesel community but there are that 5% that get the most hits/articles/notice...

Every-time I see someone post about this I feel bad for them.. Just know it's not everyone..
    Don't equate tuners with ricers. There is a difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    I would like to have a coal roller on my commuter, how do I do it?? I was thinking maybe a hot air gun and some drip system that drips oil in it and a fan to disperse it.
    They do make smoke systems for R/C planes. Just a thought

mtbr member

Rolling Coal

Quote Originally Posted by mort1369 View Post
    Don't equate tuners with ricers. There is a difference.
    I wasn't pointing out that all guys modifying Japanese sports cars are ricers. Just saying that the new stereotype of ignorant diesel guys is very similar to that of ignorant ricer guys. A small stupid group can define a huge group unfortunately