Rode my bike to work, first time.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Rode my bike to work, first time.

I'm in the Air National Guard, I live about two miles from the airport. I decided to ride even though I'm timid of the traffic. The bike is a 08 Felt Nine the last aluminum frame year.

Some the guys were googling over my bike and asked how much. I joke didn't you see these at ***** for 199.99. One speaks up and says, I'm getting one do they have them. I'm think wow, and say it was actually 1300 retail but I got it for 1000. Another guy states I'd never buy a bike for thousand dollars. So instead of getting into a p match, I offered him to try it out. as soon as he hops on the seat he asks, how can you touch the ground?

After he takes a few turnarounds in the parking lot. I can see he starts to get a feel for the bike then he goes for a long straight for a final turn then back to me full of questions. I doubt I made him a convert but at least he showed interest.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Congrats on your first of many commutes!
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Way to go on the commute!

My co-workers (and in-laws for that matter) are always asking how much my bikes cost. No matter how many times they've asked before...They are always stunned when they find out someone would actually spend a few thousand dollars on a bike.

Then they always think I'm nuts for how far I ride them. If you're going to spend a lot of money on them...might as well get your money's worth and ride a lot!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Nice job taking the first step, hopefully you keep it up.

It's unfortunate that many people base bicycle pricing on what they see at Wal-Mart. I always justify it by pointing out my bike replaces my car for most trips, so it only makes sense it would cost close to $1000 or more.

mtbr member
    Very good, be careful, it is addictive. And when your collegues think you're weird, wait until you show up in torrential rain or winter on your bike.

But you might inspire them to start riding, too. In my office we are 7 people and I was the only one riding when I started there last year. But now one other who lives 2 miles away also usually takes the bike. Another who has about the same distance as I have (approx. 7miles), is now starting to ride too, but only when the weather is nice. I explained already, once you get used to it, you continue when the weather turns bad. I myself for example always try to ride. If I do not ride my bike in the morning, I do not feel awake for the entire day. Even coffee does not solve it.

mtbr member
    Nice job! I don't ride as often as I should lately thanks to a nagging injury but agree with the cycling dutchman - I am much more awake and productive when I ride to work. Hopefully you find the same.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

since 4/10/2009
    Congrats on the commute. I have started deflecting/avoiding price questions when non-bike people ask how much a bike cost. Or, I give straight MSRP without qualifying that I didn't spend that. That one is kinda fun when I want to shut certain people up. My wife and I both ride mtb's that would cost about $7,000 retail. That's a conversation stopper, typically. My commuter would be a "more reasonable" $2,500ish at full retail.

My wife and I live pretty modestly otherwise. So it surprises people that we have such expensive bikes.

My family stopped asking the how much question a long time ago, and it's not even a question that occurs to people where I work, since of my two part time jobs, they're both bike-related (one is with a bike shop, and the other is a bike advocacy org).

I just wish it was a little easier to commute by bike more often. The bike shop where I work is a little far away, and the best route there has so many stops because I have to ride through the middle of the city to get there, that I can't do much about the fact that riding takes 1 1/2 hours EACH way. The other job with the advocacy org involves delivering a lot of boxes all over town, so I need my car to make the deliveries. I'll easily put 40mi on the car on a delivery run. If the boss decides that paying shipping costs the same or less than paying me to drive all over town, we might start shipping the boxes of maps and I should be able to ride into the office, which is just 7mi from home, and is very easy to do frequently.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I had a hard time justifying a $1000 bike to my fiancÚ at the time in '08, it worked out we're married now. My regular job is 30 miles away and commute with their van. I don't get to ride much with a destination except this past drill weekend. Back roads are narrow with rolling hills and impatient drivers but it makes a difference to have a purposeful 2 mile ride to the airport. I own 4 acres that I can free roam and there is a gravel road that leads to an abandoned trailer lot beside my property. I'm in the process of running less and biking more. This past week I've dusted off the bikes and been spending time here reading and interacting with you all. I also bought the Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair today from the LBS and I've been reading thru it, it seems to be a good resource.

since 4/10/2009
    I still have an old skool bike repair book. I think it's Zinn's book, IIRC. Has a bunch of old parts in it. Doesn't even list disc brakes at all. The book you bought will be out of date eventually, but it'll get you started.

I got my wife interested in bikes before I bought another (I had a fairly nice one I bought before we met, so she couldn't complain about it then). She also got a super nice mtb before I bought one. My commuter bike did come first, though. It started as a much more budget build, and as I rode more, it got upgraded.

The recent thread about the guy who reached his break even point for his commuter bike purchase got me thinking about what that break even point would be for others of us. It takes awhile to reach that break even point, depending on your recurring expenses prior to biking, and how often you bike.

Bikes are both fun and healthy, so getting a true break even point figured out is tough because you have to factor in recreational riding, and what you'd be doing (spending money on) without bikes. And also health expenses minus biking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    That is an interesting concept, just guessing I'd say 15-20 cents a mile. You don't get a discount in health or auto insurance, but save in gas, wear and tear car maintenance. Doctor visits could go up and suffer loss of salary from a bike injury. Then again getting in shape could prevent health/pharmacy expenses and a work promotion for performance.

mtbr member
    I ride through Berlin for work on my Epic. I do get looks but there are also LOTS of people who bike to work. I do have to take 2 locks with me so that's a PITA.
    '11 Epic Comp, Shimano SPD M780, Giant Contact Switch-R, Specialized Ribcage, Bontrager Trip 200, Ergon GS1

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I found very quickly after I started that I NEED my commute. Without it I get tetchy...
    It is one of the high points of my day, be it rain, sun, fog, snow, light, dark, what ever!

Good job on your first commute - hopefully of many!!

guy
    My wife is very supportive of me biking to work because she says I'm grouchy on the days I don't ride. Like many of you guys, I find I am more alert at work and my performance is better when I ride as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks for the incouragement, it makes look forward to my next commute.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The environment thanks you too. Congrats on your new found lifestyle. Not to mention such a short drive isn't great for your car either. Funny how people are curious how much all the time.

Moderator Moderator
    Nice going Scottcc! Since you work at the Air Guards, if the cost of the bike comes up again, you could point to a plane and ask if they would fly one from the discount store. I like how you got someone to take a spin on it though, good answer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Well I'm only 44 and the grandpa of the shop, the guys commenting the bike were mid 20s. I was asked where's the kickstand, why I have the seat so high you can't touch the ground and they're blown away about disc brakes. It was a fun show and tell, though kind of sad in a way. I'm learning a lot from MTBR, I seriously didn't know running 55 psi tire pressure was not ideal and that my RS Reba needed to be tuned. I thought I had a bike that wasn't compatible for me; after lowing the air pressure (forks and tires) the bike feels much better, agile and comfortable too. The shop I bought it from told me to keep the forks 180psi in both chambers. It was a road orientated shop.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the commute squad.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    congrats fellow military man. the worst part of commuting to work is PT days. my legs are hurting from the running plus my gym time and then I need to commute 5 miles home. it sucks but I love it at the same time

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    What branch are you in? Fortunately I live so close the ANG base its too close to drive. It doesn't take much longer, I can bike it 12 minutes. Next UTA I'll take scenic ride home.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    am in the navy. I work as a diesel mechanic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottcc View Post
    Well I'm only 44 and the grandpa of the shop.
    I guess that makes me the great-grandpa of the shop (almost 63).

Cheesy Folk
    I'd like to make my first bike commute to work soon! It's a 5 mile ride, but at least it'd be outside of peak traffic hours.

#gonavy