Roadies/Commuters don't wave?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Roadies/Commuters don't wave?

This is something that has been bothering me and maybe it's just me but I figured I'd rant about it on here because I've got a captive audience. I ride motorcycle as well as mt. bike and commute on bike. While riding motorcycle almost every other rider will do a friendly wave to the other riders that are oncoming. While mt. biking there is always a friendly hello to other riders or hikers. However I've come to notice that the majority of roadies that I pass on my commute don't bother to take the time to say hi or wave. I wave at every person I ride past. Is there something I'm missing? Am I not aware of a secret society wave that I am not properly executing or are people on the road just rude?
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

I <3 dirt
    Too much wind drag waving.

Moderator Moderator
    Try a full-on Miss America wave (& smile) next time and see if you get better results, but there are Those Who Just Won't Wave. This morning I got a wave back and a "you're welcome" from a plow driver who was clearly waiting for me to go by before he pushed snow across the street from a driveway - so there is hope.

Huckin' trails
    Try to imagine every single car drivers waving at each other every time they pass by... Yup. Most of the people riding on street are not exactly there for the sport side, but for the commute side of their saddle time. So it's less common to wave at everybody who are just traveling then at people who are there to ride for leisure and are into their sport side. But most of the time when I wave at someone, they wave back or salute back.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    If I see you wave, I will wave back. But I don't pay much attention to oncoming riders, so it's likely I won't see you wave. I never initiate a wave either. Not that I am unfriendly, but we are just riding bicycles, so what's the big deal? I see many cyclists on my commute and would get a sore arm waving at them all, plus on some of the crappy pavement I ride on, I would rather have both hands on the bars. You don't wave at other pedestrians when you are walking do you?

mtbr member
    The area I commute is across a causeway that is a few miles long. The only people on there are commuters. I don't necessarily give the Miss America wave. Sometimes it's a head nod and just opening up my hand on the handle bars. It just seems like common courtesy. It's not like I'm passing a hundred riders a day. Probably 5 or 10 at the most. To tell you the truth if anything I'd be waving more than any of them because I'm doing the reverse commute of what the majority of the people on the ride. I'm commuting out of the major city to a smaller town outside of the city. LOL, some of you may have heard of it. I'm going from Sacramento to Davis. Where men are men and college students are peppered.

mtbr member
    It's funny because I'll wave to cars that don't run me over - "You stopped for me when you were legally required to! You get a !"

But I don't know that I've ever had another cyclist wave at me, and it would never really occur to me to initiate a wave. We actually have "Wave Wednesdays" here in June as part of bikemonth to encourage that, but I've never really seen people do it.

If it's like -30C out I might give a little nod if I see another cyclist, since we're both so hardcore.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Most of the time I don't wave....

This morning I had a bit of a chat with another commuter though.

mtbr member
    I only wave to those who are worthy of my attention because I am a bit of a d-bag.

I never wave to recumbent cyclists, they are beneath me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I usually wave or say hello. I've noticed the more people spend on cycling apparel the less likely they are to wave or say hello back.

Singletrack Snob
    When I'm riding my road bike I will give a small wave to other riders who are kitted up.

But when commuting to work I don't wave to other commuters. I figure that I wouldn't do that if I was taking the car to work, so why when I'm on the bike?
    "I've got a card in my spokes, I'm practicing my jokes. I'm learning!"

jrm
    mtbr member

Waving is over rated

Its best to not expect others to wave so that way you dont get your panties in a wad when they don't.

a simple chin nod works for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    ... But most of the time when I wave at someone, they wave back or salute back. David
    I had visions of a neo-Nazi commuter doing a 'Seig Heil!' and subsequent OTB, saved by the steel WWII German helmet! I do a head nod or a just off the bar half-wave. Hate to have someone wipe out waving back. Look out for the,,,oops ...grate! That's gotta hurt.

BrianMc

Class Clown
    pedal to the metal no time for waving. plus where i'm at you can't always tell who's a fellow biker and who's a crack-head riding around. usually only serious bikers hit up the trails.

weirdo
    If I ever see another cyclist on my commute route, I`ll probably be so excited that I might just ride over and give him a big ol kiss and hug in the middle of the street. In places where there are other riders, I`m one of those a-holes who don`t wave. I will reluctantly answer a wave IF I notice it, but I really don`t see the point, and never initiate one. On a motorcycle, I quickly got tired of that whole "wave at every stinkin bike who passes remotely by" game and never wave at all.

Just taking a guess, but maybe the reason you get more waves back from mtb riders than from roadies has something to do with being on the trails when you see them rather than on the road?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Riding up and down Market Street, waving to other commuters would make my arm sore as heck by the time I get home or to work. During certain times, the only thing that outnumbers bicycles are pedestrians and other times, bicycles outnumber everything else on the road.

The second issue is that Market street is BUSY and the pavement is all kinds of messed up. Pot holes everywhere, recessed train tracks, sewer grates, subway vent grates, relief valves for utilities, etc. Take a second to wave and next thing that happens is you might end up going OTB when the wheel gets stuck in grate or hits a hole. There are cars, buses, bicycles, taxi, illegally parked delivery vehicles, and light rail amongst the bicycles. Other riders are probably busy enough analysing visual stimulus that they won't notice another person waving.

mtbr member
    Nobody waives at me either, I think its because I look more at home on my Harley, that and the "Redneck cycle team jersey I wear. I don't think roadies have a sense humor. They are all decked out in there biking outfits, I actually look like a redneck lol. Not a fit with the yuppie biking crowd in my area. I think thats what I like about mountain biking seems like a much friendlier crowd.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I ride a MC, MTB, Road bike and drive a car. Dont initiate a wave from any of them. I never understood the "hey where doing/driving/riding the same thing wave" If im walking down the street and make eye contact I might say good morning.

The Brutally Handsome
    It is not proper for the cycling glitterati to acknowledge members of the commuting class.

since 4/10/2009
    I'll head nod, but that's about it. in the morning, I haven't had my coffee yet (not to mention the sun angle at the time I'm riding is low and you can't even tell if the other guy sees you). in the evening, I'm generally the only cyclist on the roads around here who uses a light, so they can't even see whether I wave or not.

mtbr member
    Could care less who waves, gives the bird, or whatever. Cool thing about commuting is seeing the regulars every day and getting into conversations on the way home. That doesn't happen when I drive. Had a 20 minute conversation with Floyd Landis last year.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

weirdo
    ^^EBR, did you "Cat 6" him?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sometimes I wave, but usually I'll just Mongolian harmonic overtone sing at them as a form of acknowledgement. It catches most people off guard, I'd imagine.

It's about showing up.
    I recall a time when Porche owners flashed their lights at each other.

No more: it must have lost its charm.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    its like the jeep wave. first time i was in a wrangler i had no idea why everybody kept waving.

a few years ago my mom had a prius before they were as popular as they are now, and all prius drivers waved at one another.

i don't wave at "coummuter" around here (college campus, so that would be waving to too many people every day haha). but if i'm geared up for a ride i will always wave at other people who are out for a mtb or road ride.

since i was a little kid i have always done the little motorcycle wave where you just stick your hand out towards the ground when i am on a bike. a lot of the harley guys don't give me a biker wave in return, but i do get a chuckle frequently.

Beer is my spirit animal
    I'll do the head/chin nod to other cyclists and usually get out a greeting or "good morning" but there are times where I'm just not paying attention, or I'm tired, or I haven't had my coffee, etc. and I wouldn't even notice if someone waved at me. I wouldn't let it get to you. It's worse when you're walking on the shoulder of an interstate carrying your bike because you've got a flat rear tire and no spare tubes or co2 and several roadies pass by without so much as a "hello", let alone an offer of help. Helping a fellow cyclist isn't cool, apparently. Taught me never to go on a solo ride without my cellphone, wallet, spare tube, or co2, though, so wasn't all bad.
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member
    Way back when I grew up in West Texas... out in the desert... we all waved at each other.
    Of course... we all knew each other too

Later, when I joined the Army and jumped out of planes... we waved at each other.
    Of course... that was on mass drops where you were trying to keep one dufus from running into another dufus (we also yelled, cursed, and... some wimpos screamed )

One day I got myself a Harley (I'm talkin' a Harley from "back when", not a Harley Yuppie Davidson). I had all sorts of folks waving at me.
    Of course... some were on Harleys (if they had their ole lady onboard... she waved, not him), and the most enthusiastic wavers were always the 'other' bike riders... they rode bikes like the "Golden Wingnut" and such . I quickly got tired of waving at folks I didn't know, and probably wouldn't have liked much anyway.

In later years, I purchase myself a Prius. GAWD... the wavers were BACK!
    Of course... being amongst such a select group of people, I was sorely tempted to start giving them the single-finger wave instead of the...
    "GEE! Look at you! Look at me! Look at your car! Look at mine! WOW! I'm SO glad to see you! Hi! Hi there! HEY YOU! Hey! What's your problem? You didn't wave at me! You're SO stuck up!.... but I'll wave at you next time anyway! "

Today I ride my bikes... mostly mountain... and I will nod on occasion to other bike riders.
    But I probably don't know you, and you probably don't know me.
    If I recognize you then I'll nod my head or maybe wave.
    If we meet up on a trail (as opposed to a 4 - 6 lane highway), I might even talk with you.
    Yep, we both ride bikes... cool!
    Nope, I'm not stuck-up just because I do not wave at a stranger.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've only recently started commuting and it's been quite noticeable. When you're out on a trail, you always get some kid of reciprocal acknowledgement. But it seems as soon as you hit the road everyone shuts down. Maybe it's because we get into a "getting from A to B" mindset - rather than just enjoying the ride. Frankly I'm just happy to be getting saddle time so I often get other commuters blowing past without a word while I take in the sights and sounds.

mtbr member
    head nod. Anything more and people will think you are turning.

mtbr member
    What is the significance of waving to you all?

Sure, I find it brings a smile to my face sometimes to see another person biking, but I don't feel like I belong to some exclusive club.

I don't feel like it's, "Them against us", as far as bikers vs the rest of the world.

What are you all actually acknowledging when you wave or nod your head?

For me, on the road, I like to nod or wave if it's someone I actually know.
    If it's a stranger, I'll still be friendly, but I don't feel that it is a requirement that I wave/nod or that they wave/nod back.

On the trail I feel like I may meet someone I can ride with down the line. I don't go overboard smoozing with folks, but I am happy to stop and chat most times on most trails, except the places I'm concentrating on going fast and literally don't want to be interrupted.

Agian, I wouldn't be all in a huff if someone passed me by and never acknowledged me other than to alert me to them passing.

I just think some folks take all this way too personal. Same with certain other vehicle operators... Prius and Harley as well as many others.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It doesn't upset me, it's just something I've noticed like the OP.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If my encounter with roadies means anything today, apparently I'm not supposed to ride on the road without a license plate on my bike. They were all screaming for me to get off the course which I guess is their word for road because every road is a race course? I have no idea. Guess a mountain bike, BDU pants, backpack with baugette sticking out, skate shoes, and button up shirt doesn't fit in with their crowd.

Always thought arrogant roadie thing was a joke...well now I know it's not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Ok, apparently what I stumbled into is something called a CX race.

Fat-tired Roadie
    There has to have been some stupidity here. 'cross courses are usually taped off and very recognizable. I'm not saying whose side the stupidity was on, I wasn't there.

I find I wave a little less than I used to, when I'm riding road. For one thing, there are quite a lot of other people out, especially during commute times. For another, I now have an extra step in between "traveling obstacle" and "I should wave," which is "Who's that?" Often it's a little late to wave once I've established that it's a stranger. I seem to be fast enough when it's people I know, most of the time. When I'm riding with other people, some of my attention is devoted to maintaining a good position in the other rider's draft. I also can't see as far ahead. So, less time and less attention to waving to others.

On singletrack, some interaction is more-or-less required. I don't usually wave, but I usually have something to say, whether it's "thanks" if someone going the opposite way yields to me, or "hello" if I need to have a discussion with someone I've chased onto, or a whole range of other things.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The only thing I saw was a road closed sign, but that particular road is closed to automotive traffic every Saturday and Sunday. The sign was new, but didn't lead me to think any special event was taking place. There was tape on both sides of the road, but by that time it was already too late.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Sounds like theirs.

Shoot the promoters a polite email. It doesn't do anyone any favors to have traffic and race courses mixing.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    ^^EBR, did you "Cat 6" him?
    Nah, I actually thought he was a pretty cool guy after talking to him. Kind of doubt Lance would have BSed with me for that long. Then he was on 60 minutes a few weeks later.

mtbr member
    I almost never wave when on the road bike. Usually have too much going on watching for traffic and trying to not get run over. I usually give a head nod if I notice another rider but that's about it.

Now on the motorcycle I wave at all other motorcycles except Harley Davidson's when in town because they never wave back anyway. I wave at the HD's when out of town though and they wave back amazingly! I think it's because the HD riders in town are mostly posers that want to look cool, if they are 100 miles out of town they are generally real motorcyclists.

weirdo
    [QUOTE=jseko;8773716] They were all screaming for me to get off the course which I guess is their word for road because every road is a race course? I have no idea./QUOTE]

Jseko, do you ever have a dull day? Somehow, you always seem to find yourself in the midst of SOMETHING! Thai Chi formation, salmon bikers in your direct path, heavy boxes falling from the sky, secret race course, private holidays... How do you do it? I hope that doesn`t come off the wrong way, but your knack for finding strange situations uncanny, and for some reason I find it really amusing

mtbr member
    I passed one guy the other day who I thought was going to light off fireworks when he saw me, by far the most enthusiastic wave I've ever gotten. I passed him in the same spot on the way home and got another big wave. I think he was excited because you rarely see people riding in the dark who look like they're cyclists in this area. Usually it's people on department store bikes with a couple reflectors and no lights, but both of us had a couple tail lights, bright headlights and other reflective gear.

Moderator Moderator
    I think it is a pretty exclusive club, when you compare the number of bikecommuters to the number of car drivers out there. This doesn't mean you have to wave, but I think it's nice if you can. If it is someone I see regularly it is acknowledging a kinship on some level, and if it is somebody new it might give them the teensy bit of encouragement they need to keep it up. It would be different if the roads were teeming with cyclists, but that is not the case here.

Still want a fat bike....
    I agree mtbxplorer. I tend to wave at anyone on a bike even if I know they aren't commuting. I dunno, I guess I am just friendly. For those who I know and see commuting on the regular, they will wave back, but those others almost never do. Oh well.

mtbr member
    Haha, I love this topic. Every few weeks it comes up over at RBR, and the discussion is usually entertaining.

To the OP, maybe you just aren't looking close enough. I raise a finger or 2 off the bars, maybe a head nod, as I pass an oncoming commuter. No time or interest to actually take my hand all the way off the bar, but that's just me. Of course, we're usually far apart on a 2-6 lane road, so much of the time, what is the point? If I overtake or are overtaken, I always give a verbal greeting, which is answered sometimes. Same on the MUT when we're only a few feet apart.

I think the difference w/ mtb on trails is you usually pass in very close quarters -- one person has to stop and move over, etc. It would be kind of ackward not to say anything in that event!
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

Huckin' trails
    I have a clown horn mounted on my handle bar. They always notice me when I hunk them
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    No waves in winter.

Hands too cold to take out of pogies.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I actually see the same few people in the morning commute, but it's not every day. There's one guy that rides a very upright bike somewhere between a comfort style hybrid and a Dutch style bike. I see that guy probably once a week at almost the same location.

At work, I tend to see the same few 6 or so at the racks but I really see them maybe once a month probably because we work different schedules and no one spends more than about 5 min at the racks. We usually exchange verbal greetings.

Wanderer
    I will do a small wave if I know the person otherwise if they wave they get a nod or a finger wave from the handlebar.

enjoys skidding
    I'm a nod type of guy. Or if it's in talking distance I'll do the standard Aussie "how's it goin". It's a ridiculous phrase because if they actually reply you're already gone before you can hear it haha.

mtbr member
    I think the regular wave, the motorcycle hand drop, the head nod, the from the handlebar wave is all fine. To me it's just an acknowledgement. I don't think I'm in some exclusive club. I feel like I'm being friendly. I can understand someone commuting down Market Street in San Francisco not wanting to wave at the 50 other bikers they pass on the way to work. But as I said my commute is around 15-18 miles and I may pass 5 or so people at the most. I don't think that's going to far out of my way just to be friendly. Maybe it's just me. **** if someone makes a good solid eye contact with me while I'm walking I'll do the head nod or say hi. As someone else said maybe it's just me being friendly. However I think it means something to not be so wrapped up in your own world that you can acknowledge other people out there that may not be your friends. I remember moving into a particular neighborhood a few years back and when you would drive down the road if someone was out in their front yard they would wave. It gave a greater sense of community even though you didn't know the person. It's not that I get all bummed out or upset that someone doesn't respond back it was just something I noticed. I'll keep waiving and head nodding either way. I just was wondering if I was the only person that felt this way. Apparently not...LOL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I'll head nod, but that's about it. in the morning, I haven't had my coffee yet (not to mention the sun angle at the time I'm riding is low and you can't even tell if the other guy sees you). in the evening, I'm generally the only cyclist on the roads around here who uses a light, so they can't even see whether I wave or not.
    +1
    This sums it up for me.