Roadie or 1x1 commuter?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Roadie or 1x1 commuter?

It's a little more complex than that but here goes:

I have been commuting on my old raleigh roadie for a while now and love it. Get to work faster than in my car (10 miles @25 mins) and don't have to pay for parking! The roadie is a POS but it's running pretty good for now. My commute is 95% straight, level, bike trails with only a few stops.

I also have a brand new Surly 1x1 that I'm trying to find a use for. Currently it's set up 32x16 for mtbing but living in Denver there are few mtb trails that I can pedal this thing on better than my FS rig. So I'm thinking of turning this into a commuter for winter with some thinner, but ice gripping tires, a rack, and a HUGE chainring. I love hauling ass and don't want to slow down too much with this conversion but some slowing is to be expected.

My question is this: Will a Surly 1x1 be a decent (winter) commuter if I put all this work into it, or should I ditch this idea and stay with the roadie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i don't know if you have been commuting in the winter, but both bikes will be fine. i have 2 bikes i commute with ( i live in minnesota), a raleigh technium road bike and a trek 820 mtb. the raleigh, i use all season long, i just switch out the tires for a 700x32 for the winter months. the trek, i use it from fall to spring. but i have been wanting to single speed the trek for a couple years now because of the winter months. for me, i have noticed that when there is snow on the ground, i only tend to use 1 gear so converting to single speed is ideal.

the answer: YES. add fenders also for the slush during winter season.

do you need studded tires for the winter?: from my personal experience, it is overkill. but it does help when you are riding on ice 90-100% of the time.

hope this helps. keep the rubber side down!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yeah, I'll be new to winter commuting and I know that here in Denver, it's not always frozen, I just want to make sure I'm prepared so I don't wuss out and start driving. Definitely gonna get fenders for the winter as well as all the other cold weather gear. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You may want to setup the 1x1 as fixed. The extra control really helps on slick surfaces and the drivetrain is much more reliable than single speed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You could use either, but I prefer super-fat tired mtbs for snow. Plus ss or fixed is nice when it's time to clean up all that nasty road/gravel/slush grime.

Your 1x1 with some WierWolfs would be sweet in the snow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You could use either, but I prefer super-fat tired mtbs for snow. Plus ss or fixed is nice when it's time to clean up all that nasty road/gravel/slush grime.

Your 1x1 with some WierWolfs would be sweet in the snow.

Members who have read this thread: 0