Road bike or Cross bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Road bike or Cross bike

Hey guys I need some help. I'm starting a new job and I will be able to ride to work every day. They have showers and a locker room. But I don't know if I will be able to leave stuff there like my steel tow boots yet. Its going to be 22 miles each way and its rolling with no real big climbs. So I need to build up a bike. I'm thinking the Nashbar Cross frame or the Road frame? I have most of the parts I need to build it up. I even have an extra set of road wheels. The bike will have to be locked up outside when I'm working. So I don't want to spend a bunch of money. But it's a secure compound and I think its kind of safe. So help me decide. What do you think will work better?

mtbr member
    Personally, I think cross is a good option b/c it will be more versatile. Down side is that it generally comes out a little heavier. I guess it all depends on your commute. Mine involves some broken up sidewalk and a little bit of gravel, so cross makes more sense for me. But if you have nice, paved roads the whole way maybe road will make more sense. You could always go cross with thin slicks, but you wont necessarily be able to go road with thicker, knobby tires.
    Friends Don't Let Friends Drive

2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport
    2010 Bottecchia RS290 Cross

Fat-tired Roadie
    For riding roads, I prefer road bikes. However, if you have to carry a lot of stuff to work with you and you plan to ride in all weather, a touring bike can be better. Nashbar's road bike looks pretty spartan, and touring bikes typically accept a rack and fenders much more easily, and with less of a compromise in handling from the load on the back. There are a ton of people on this site who've built bikes from the 'cross frame, and like it.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Bedwards Of The West
    Nashbar 'x' frame here. I love it for the commute. Part of my ride is on dirt, so I beat on it pretty good, and it's been really solid. It has rack/fender mounts, and the new ones are 130mm rear spacing, so you're in luck with your road wheelset.
    I've done a couple centuries on it, and it's as fast as I am. You could build a lighter bike, but for a road-bike-that's-beefy-enough-for-the-commute-and-can-sit-out-in-the-rain, I don't think you can beat an aluminum cyclocross bike, and in that category, I don't think you can beat the Nashbar X.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I'm kind of thinking I like the X bike. I'm just a bit afraid I won't like how it handles. I already have a really nice road bike. And a back up road bike to race that I need to finish. So a Cross bike would be nice to add to the stable. The commute will be all roads no dirt not even any bike path. So I want it to handle well and ride mostly like a normal road bike.

conjoinicorned
    a CX bike is a road bike. in my experience the geometry differences are barely noticeable other than competition paced riding, which you already have a bike for.

i use my CX for road riding, singletrack, commuting, and pulling the kids around...all with a simple tire change. i've ran everything from 23c racerboi tires to 45c studs. if you already have a road bike it doesn't even make sense not to go with a CX.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Bedwards Of The West
    What's that? An opportunity to show off my trusty steed? OK, if you insist.
    Here are a couple set-ups I've used on the X...

Those are 700x35c Schwalbe Kojacks, with enough clearance for fenders. Currently running 28c vittoria 'cross tires. It will clear a 29x1.75
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Road bike or Cross bike-commuter.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Fat-tired Roadie
    If you've already got a nice road bike (and a safe place to keep it) why not just ride that to work? To me, 22 miles is a long enough distance that I'd rather be on one of my "good" bikes, unless I've got a compelling reason to be on my commuter, like needing the rack or something. I think if I worked at the same place every day and could keep clothes and shoes there, I'd probably ride in on my LeMond four days a week and on a bike with a pannier or in my car on the fifth day, to shuffle clothes around. I figure it defeats the purpose of owning a nice road bike to not ride it.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    If you've already got a nice road bike (and a safe place to keep it) why not just ride that to work? To me, 22 miles is a long enough distance that I'd rather be on one of my "good" bikes, unless I've got a compelling reason to be on my commuter, like needing the rack or something. I think if I worked at the same place every day and could keep clothes and shoes there, I'd probably ride in on my LeMond four days a week and on a bike with a pannier or in my car on the fifth day, to shuffle clothes around. I figure it defeats the purpose of owning a nice road bike to not ride it.

Because my good road bike is a Ridely worth 7k. There is no way in hell I'm going to let that bike out of my site let alone lock it up outside. And it gets plenty of use. I figure on my longer days I would just ride home switch bikes and keep going. The 44 miles a day or so I will be putting in is going to be base training for me. And I will work on things like intervals and climbing when I get home and make the bike change.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm an advocate for the Nashbar "X" Frame. You can build it up to do pretty much anything that a road bike can do and you have the option to install racks, fenders, and disc brakes if you choose. I fitted mine with a rack, fenders, and hydro-disc brakes. If you do decide to build up an "X" frame, make sure to post pictures for the rest of the "X" club members to enjoy.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

Moderator Moderator
    If you plan on riding in bad weather (or just get caught in it!) the x-bike would probably be a plus.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Please allow me to take a que from CommuterBoy and use this as an opportunity to post my "X" Frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Road bike or Cross bike-cyclocross.jpg  

Last edited by Solomon76; 05-01-2010 at 01:31 PM.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    It will clear a 29x1.75
    To clarify for the OP : Is that with or without fenders?

mtbr member
    Nice bikes guys. I think I'm going to go with the X frame. Don't know if I will run fenders yet have to see. I'm just hopping I can keep heavy things there like my boots. The less I have to carry back and forth the better. I don't plan on using a tire bigger then a 25C ether.

Members who have read this thread: 0