RIP commute..... (for now)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

RIP commute..... (for now)

I've only been commuting since May but have had a pretty good run...... well that run is coming to an abrupt stop. As of today my wife went back to work full time (911 dispatcher) and since she is in classroom training for the first 4-6 weeks of her job she will be working a regular 8-5 and I'm gonna have to pitch in and drop the kiddo off at school (and pick her up and take her to daycare at lunch). After 4-6 weeks her schedule will mimic whoever she does ongoing training with (could change every few weeks). Then once she's fully trained (9 months to a year) her schedule will change every quarter.

Can't really complain as she's done everything (as far as transporting the kid) for the last 4.5 years, glad she finally found something she's excited about and wants to go back to work for.

Hopefully after her initial training is over I'll only have to get her to school a few times a week, but for now my commuting is NO GO 4 days a week. I can pretty much only ride Wednesdays now.

mtbr member
    Mourning with you.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    I was afraid this was going to happen to me. My wife had a Mon-Fri job the same hours as me. Once she was done with maternity leave, I was going to have to do drop off or pickup, but she ended up deciding to find a new job with a schedule that allows us to reduce to a baby sitter only a couple times a week. I feel for you. Hope you can get back on the bike regularly again soon!

Moderator Moderator
    Props to you for helping out so she can do a cool job she is interested in. Hopefully it will sort out over time and you will be back at it. In the interim can you get a few hours "off" on the weekend to get in a ride for physical and mental health?

mtbr member
    I wasn't even able to ride in yesterday as the wife needs me to drop the kid off at daycare the day she isn't in school.

I am really not enjoying the driving...... didn't really realize how much I already enjoyed the 15 minutes of quiet time riding each way. Not to mention putting gas in my truck!

mtbr member
    Have a little faith. In a couple of weeks you'll figure out how to manage. Or more likely, your wife will see the effects of your not riding (stress level) and send you outside for an hour or so, every couple of days.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Fifteen minutes is not long at all. I would think that you could maybe get up and out the door for a quick 15 minute ride prior to taking your little one to school, but maybe that's not the situation though? Where there is a will, there is a way!

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's not really missing the time on the bike (I can find time to ride) more just missing riding instead of driving. Bookending the work day with a little quiet time on the bike is nice I found.

Spending more $$ in gas, and college just got back in session which makes parking more challenging now, etc....

I think the wife is getting her schedule for the next few months today, so hopefully we'll figure out some days for me to ride.

I will say that dropping off and picking up my daughter from school has been a blast though. Not used to getting to see her during the work day..... Getting excited hugs is a pretty good trade-off I guess.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    what if you get a trailer or pull-a-long bike to transport the kid? Where there is a will, there is a way

mtbr member
    Got rid of her trailer because she didn't ride in it anymore. Best option would be a tagalong or something. But her school is far enough away in the opposite direction from town that it would be kinda tough. I'm already coming in an hour late each day, trying to make it work on the bike would be tough. Being optimistic it would add at least 15 minutes onto my commute each way. I know that doesn't sound like much, but.....

I drop her off at school at 8:45, by the time I get to work (driving) now it's 9am. If I was riding I'm guessing it would be at least 15 minutes later (maybe more). Then I spend extra time bringing my bike into the office, cleaning up, changing clothes, etc... So I'd maybe be "working" by 9:30ish now?

Next I'd have to leave by 11'ish to go back and pick her up to take her to daycare (change clothes again, etc). 30 minute ride to pick her up, 30 minute ride back to drop her off at daycare. There went my entire lunch hour and I'm probably pushing it to only be gone for an hour. It's now at least 12:45 before I'm "working" again (after changing, cleaning up again......). And now I have to work until I'm guessing close to 6:45 to get my 8 hours in. And all of this is assuming I never get a flat, stuck at the train crossing on my bike route, etc.... Not to mention winter will throw a monkey wrench into that plan pretty soon.

Coming in even later, working later may not sound like a big deal, but as the IT guy, I'm really supposed to be here when other folks are so I can help them when something goes wrong.....

You're right in that if there's a will there's a way, but at this point I'd rather live with driving then get fired from my job or have a circus going on everday where everything has to go perfectly to manage to get my hours in and my daughter where she needs to be on time.