Rim Tape Brands - Does it matter?- Mtbr.com
    Still want a fat bike....

Rim Tape Brands - Does it matter?

There is my question of the day. Does it matter which brand or are they all the same to a commuter not looking to save weight? Also, if I have a 24mm wide rim, do I need tape close to that width? Do I just need enough tape to cover the holes for spokes? School me people. Thanks!
    I am a man of many words. KCCO!

CB of the East
    I usually use electrical tape without a problem. It usually goes like this: I have everything and the old rim tape is cracked or missing... I may need to be schooled too but so far so good. I've probably got a few wheels that have been that way for years.

since 4/10/2009
    I've used electrical tape no problem, also. I also used duct tape once torn to fit my rims when I had nothing else available. It worked, but was thick.

the thick cloth tape tightens tire fit, so you can use it to get difficult tires to stay on your rims.

when I built up my commuter, I got whatever cheap stuff my LBS had when I picked up the wheelset I had ordered. I don't have any tire fit issues, so I dont' need the thick stuff. you do kinda want the width to fit your rim, but it's not like if your rims are 24mm, your strip MUST be 24mm. the strip needs to be wide enough to cover the spoke holes plus some overlap in case it moves around during tire install. the better it fits the channel in your rim, the less it will move and the less risk of flatting you'll have because of it. the cloth stuff is tough to remove when it's been there for awhile. the cheap strips are easy, and need replacing from time to time anyway.

my mtb uses UST wheels, so no rim strips there. I would go that route on my commuter if the rims I wanted came in UST flavor.

Moderator Moderator
    I kind of like the plastic rubberband type for ease of use and holding up best for reuse at tire changes.

Still want a fat bike....
    Right now I may be leaning towards electrical tape (cause I have some on hand) but I am wondering how well it holds up for tire changes and just over time?
    I am a man of many words. KCCO!

CB of the East
    Take some time to cut the hole for the valve stem and stick it right to the rim. It doesn't move when you do tire changes. The pressure of the tube sticks it right in place. I think I do 2 layers but I can't remember now. I do what ever seems right at the time.

I've never had an electrical tape / rim tape related flat. (I'll probably get one on my way home now, LOL... which would actually be pretty funny because I'm on a bike that I have never had the tires off of.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I've never had an electrical tape / rim tape related flat. (I'll probably get one on my way home now, LOL... which would actually be pretty funny because I'm on a bike that I have never had the tires off of.)
    Lucky. I used to use electrical tape but in the summer heat down here it would squirm around on the rim and expose spokes to the tube.

I use cut-down Gorilla Tape at home for tubeless rim strip and tubed rim strip, but the co-op I volunteer at uses 1/2" and 3/4" strapping tape. The strapping tape is cheap and impenetrable.

More than a little slow
    I've had one inner tube fail because of using electrical tape.
    That was on a touring bike though, 700C x 32 tires at 80-90 psi.
    The tape got cookie cut out on the rim, then the tube ballooned out onto the ends of the spokes. Took quite a while to get to that point , like a year or so.
    Other than that I have never really given any thought to rim tape so can't offer an opinion to the op
    Cheers, Dave

weirdo
    Never used straight electrical tape, but I have a few torn rubber strips mended with it. I`ve found some tapes easier to install than others, but never noticed that any of them did a better job once in the rim. The Velox cloth tape sure is pretty- what a shame you can`t see how bling your rim strips are with a tire mounted . See through tire and tube suggestions, anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    I use cut-down Gorilla Tape at home for tubeless rim strip and tubed rim strip, but the co-op I volunteer at uses 1/2" and 3/4" strapping tape. The strapping tape is cheap and impenetrable.
    I`ve heard of people using strapping tape, but how do you punch a valve hole? The threads don`t cause any problems?

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post

I`ve heard of people using strapping tape, but how do you punch a valve hole? The threads don`t cause any problems?
    It's still just tape, a sharp pointy thing works fine

I've tried 'em all and I always end up back at electrical tape, 2 layers. Had a few issues over many years, but same thing with proper rim strips.
    I used the mr tuffy or whatever the protection strips are but I had at least as many flats and they make tire change difficult
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Bedwards Of The West
    Electrical for tubes, Gorilla for tubeless. Never had an issue with either.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Fat-tired Roadie
    I use the magic unicorn stuff - Velox. It's more expensive than electrical tape, but it's always worked well for me and it's only a few bucks. I've generally been able to use the same strip of tape for the life of the rim.

I've also gotten away with using other kinds of tape. Never e-tape, but duct tape. It does make me a little nervous when I change a tire and see how distinct the spoke holes are.

Only the edges of the holes need to be covered. It's easier to put the tape in with good alignment if it's relatively wide relative to the rim channel, though.

I guess for me it's a matter of "this stuff is purpose-built for this job," "it works," and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    Last edited by AndrwSwitch; 04-04-2012 at 09:21 AM.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

jrm
    mtbr member

What ive noticed

is that it depends on the rim diameter, spoke bed width and depth and how much PSI your running.

An example, mounting a 28c tire on a 700c mavic OP rim with 100 to 120 psi the pressure of the tube against the electrical tape caught on the edge of the spoke bed which in time resulted in a flat. Whereas a 35c tire on a 700c 29er rim with 70psi i had no problems at all. From here on out i use cloth or the reinforced tape like stuff.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
    There is my question of the day. Does it matter which brand or are they all the same to a commuter not looking to save weight? Also, if I have a 24mm wide rim, do I need tape close to that width? Do I just need enough tape to cover the holes for spokes? School me people. Thanks!
    3M fiber reinforced strapping tape. Best rim tape ever. Just needs to cover the spoke holes. I prefer it not be on the bead seat so I use the 1/2".

Electrical tape is too stretchy and can move too easily.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    3M fiber reinforced strapping tape. Best rim tape ever. Just needs to cover the spoke holes. I prefer it not be on the bead seat so I use the 1/2".

Electrical tape is too stretchy and can move too easily.
    I've also used that tape back in the day. In fact it was still in my rims on my road bike when I rebuilt it last spring. So it has been there for about 20 years now and still working fine. Only issue is that as it dries out, it can be a little hard to remove as the tape will just pull up in little strips.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
    I've also used that tape back in the day. In fact it was still in my rims on my road bike when I rebuilt it last spring. So it has been there for about 20 years now and still working fine. Only issue is that as it dries out, it can be a little hard to remove as the tape will just pull up in little strips.
    I have never needed to remove it. In the rare case of needing to replace a spoke or nipple I just cut the tape out of the one spoke hole and put a new 6-8" strip of tape over the hole when repaired. Works great.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've been using the Velocity veloplugs with very good results. If you ever need to replace a spoke, just pop off the plug for that spoke hole. Simple as can be.

Members who have read this thread: 0