RIDEYE camera's handlebar mount cracked after brief use- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

No good RIDEYE camera's handlebar mount cracked after brief use

I better illustrate, in such cases pictures speak better than words:
    (click to enlarge)

What to do now? I've paid 200 euros for this black box camera + 50 euro import tax and now it cracked after less than 2 months of use! I never even fell off a bike, no road accidents! Its mount cracked when I was routinely attaching the camera to my bike, hooking the silicone band through its first hole, like I usually do (otherwise the camera is too shaky and rotates around handlebar tube on its own, which is really annoying )

I ride a road bike, which I use to get to work and back every day, nothing extreme. Yes the roads are not perfect, but I thought RIDEYE can handle that!

Can anyone advise me what I should do now when this happened? Extra belt was included in the package, but not that plastic mount part! Now I'm really shocked how it's that they made it from such weak material! They should have made it from metal too....

mtbr member
    Do you have an unused light QR mount you can jury rig into service?

mtbr member
    Brian, no. I have a dynamo hub and an AXA LED front light which is installed on fork. Never used battery-powered handlebar light...

mtbr member
    Here is one from Planet Bike:

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-Ha...ke+light+mount

Your LBS may have something that will work.

There is also the TwoFish Flashlight mount:

Amazon.com : Two Fish Lockblocks Flashlight Holder : Bike Lighting Parts And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

BrianMc

since 4/10/2009
    You may also be able to rig an adapter to use GoPro-type mounts. Those are pretty secure and there's a ton of aftermarket stuff out there for them.

Moderator Moderator
    sciff, have you contacted Rideye? Even if the warranty period is up they may send you a replacement. On their facebook page someone reported a problem and they said "Send us an email at [email protected] and we'll get you sorted out."

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Cedric from Rideye here. We will absolutely take care of this for you. Just send us an email at [email protected] and we'll send you a new mount.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your answers, guys! I really appreciate that! I've contacted Cedric via email, as soon as he gets back to me, we'll see what can be done. Whether I can get a new mount (although I would prefer it to be from metal instead of plastic, otherwise it will crack again soon), if not, then I'll order some mount that is not supposed to be used with RIDEYE, but can be adapted to it. You gave me enough options to choose from, anyway!

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
    Cedric from Rideye here. We will absolutely take care of this for you. Just send us an email at [email protected] and we'll send you a new mount.
    ^^ Nice!

...am I the only one that can't find anything wrong in those pictures? What am I looking at? That rubber strap mount looks the same as my headlight battery, and I can't figure out what's wrong looking at those pictures. Looks fine to me?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Click to enlarge in order to see

Bedwards Of The West
    I be clickin'...I be enlargin'... I can't find a problem. I'm a little slow though, so bear with me...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    You must be looking at the wrong part

Resident Texican
    Not gonna lie I didn't see what was wrong with it until just now. It looks like maybe a more pliable plastic should have been used for that part. Hopefully the company can get you taken care of!
    [email protected]%K! Where the hell did that tree come from?!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Rideye build quality not up to par -- and customer service now non-existent

I purchased two Rideye cameras just about one year ago. The video quality is good, sound quality is fair, and the units are easy to operate. However, this is overshadowed by a number of problems. At this point, the battery now lasts a few hours at most (not 10 hours, as Rideye's marketing claims). Both the original and replacement "band and clip" bar/seatpost mounts that shipped with the units have stretched and broken, just as shown above -- see this example, from the Rideye Facebook page.

In theory, those are fixable problems. In reality, there's a distinct lack of customer support/service when attempting to do so. When I sent my camera in for repair (with USPS tracking), I was told one week later (via email) by the company founder, Cedric Bosch, that it would be shipped back; however, I never received it, and repeated requests for information (via email and Facebook) have gone unanswered. I am apparently not the only person for whom this has been a problem, as the visitor postings to Rideye's Facebook page show: example 1, example 2, example 3, example 4, example 5.

At this point I'm not sure the company is still in business: I was told to ship my camera for warranty repair to an address in Campbell, CA -- but neither "Rideye" nor "Rideye LLC" can be found as registered business entities with the California Secretary of State or Santa Clara County Clerk.

Buyer beware, basically.
    Last edited by apkeating; 12-09-2015 at 12:09 AM. Reason: fixing inline links

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hi sciff,

Did you ever have any luck with developing a fix for the broken Rideye rigid mounts? Mine are both broken and the owner of Rideye, Cedric Bosch, has stopped replying to emails. If you, or anyone else, has a successful fix idea, please let me know!

Thank you,

Richard