Research on Bicycle Commuting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Research on Bicycle Commuting

Hello All!

My name is Jacob and I'm a Product Design major at San Jose State University in California. In one of my classes I'm doing a project that involves improving the experience and health benefits of bicycle commuting. As of now I'm doing research on the subject in order to identify design opportunities. If you commute work, school, the store, or anywhere on your bicycle I would appreciate it if you could fill out this quick 24 question survey!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1PGV...Xk5Y4/viewform

Also, if you have any feedback about the products you use or any areas that could be improved about your commuting experience, please feel free to share them here. As a cyclist myself, I am very passionate about this project and aspire to apply my best effort in finding a product solution that will improve your commute. Again, I would really appreciate your feedback!

Thank you,

Jacob

mtbr member
    Done. Now completely revamp that aesthetic experience and taste thing. The pictures make very little sense in comparison to bike commuting.

mtbr Decade+
    Done.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Done.

I have to agree with Texan that the aesthetic pictures are not the best representation of anything in my world.

Cold and wet weather seem to be the hardest to gear up for both physically and mentally. Lightweight LED lights that didn't crap out so quickly in below zero weather would make a lot of people safer and happier.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thank you to all who filled out the survey! Thank you for the extra feedback as well.

I agree with you guys about the aesthetic questions. Our group was in a rush to get the survey out considering we only had a week to get survey response, do face-to-face interviews, and observational research, so we decided to post a more general set of images I had available. I'll make sure to revamp them if I decide to post another survey or something just focusing on those questions.

Thanks again!

Jacob

since 4/10/2009
    I think I understood most of the aesthetic questions, but I feel like some very important types were left out. On some of those questions, I didn't feel like ANY of the images represented my aesthetic preferences...at all.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Glad to see you are rider as well...

I was going to suggest ride a bike as part of the research.

CB of the East
    - What type of bike do you ride? I'm nearly a 50/50 split based on the season.
    - Average commuting distance? One way or round trip?
    - Why do you commute? (All of the above)
    - What is your primary concern when purchasing gear?
    (Everything is a tradeoff between cost and performance, the question is too simple)
    - I mostly ignored the pics in the aesthetics part.

mtbr member
    To paraphrase a Speedway race promoter: there's no need to reinvent the wheel. Just tension the spokes, true it up and go.

Bedwards Of The West
    I done it.

Couldn't find my rigid/fat slicks/drop bar 29er on the bike list
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    ^ there was no option for a cross bike, either.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Done. I'm in the interior design program at SJSU. Go sparta.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hey Guys,

So in response to some of the comments I've been getting by the aesthetic questions I created another survey that just covers those questions again with hopefully, better representations of the words in relation to the bike industry. It's only 5 questions, so I would appreciate if you could check them out!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1d93...ewform?c=0&w=1

Thanks,

Jacob

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    That made more sense. The images still lean heavily toward the cycling fashion end of things, but maybe thats the point.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by JacobCycle47 View Post
    Hey Guys,

So in response to some of the comments I've been getting by the aesthetic questions I created another survey that just covers those questions again with hopefully, better representations of the words in relation to the bike industry. It's only 5 questions, so I would appreciate if you could check them out!
    If Rustedthrough`s opinion that the new one makes more sense than the original recipe, I`m glad I came late to the party. The revision link was the same questions I had on the first time around.

Anyway, good luck with your project, JC.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Cool, I'm glad that made better sense. I apologize for the inconvenience of the first survey. Yes, the images were fashion driven mainly because the focus of the design class is to design similar products of that nature (jackets, bags, backpacks, etc.), but our class was instructed not to make narrow the focus of our research this stage in the game.

Jacob