Replacement Narrow Bars?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Replacement Narrow Bars?

Hey everyone Ė first post!

Iíve modded by racing bike to use as my daily commute and so swapped out the drop bars for flats, budget was / is an issue so I re-used some spare parts I had left over from a trail bike build. The handlebar / stem setup are both truativís (stem is Truvativ 2010 Stylo World Cup Bicycle Stem) . As the bars are meant for mountain bikes they are very wide and taper from the ďfatĒ stem down to a standard bar thickness. As you can from my utterly dreadful photos (sorry!) my shifters cant slide in very far due to the bars getting wider at the centre. The bar height is perfect (and the bike rides well itís just too wide for me) Can anyone recommend an upright bar Ė not a straight flat bar - similar to this that will fit the stem yet stays small in cross section closer to the stem so I can get my shifters closer in?

Thanks for your help Ė any comments appreciated ....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacement Narrow Bars?-bars_1.jpg  

Replacement Narrow Bars?-bars_2.jpg  

Replacement Narrow Bars?-08october2010_jim_condor_02-2-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Not sure if my photos came though so re-attahced ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacement Narrow Bars?-bars_3.jpg  

Replacement Narrow Bars?-bars_4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    have to change the stem and bars.
    all handlebars have to slim down to the grip area, oversized (31,8mm at the stem) down to the grip area (22.2mm IIRC) is a big difference, so it tends to taper slowly from the center of the bar out to the grip area. if you find regular bars (25.4mm in the middle) the taper is less extreme and tends to end earlier, which allows you to move the controls further in towards the stem and cut down the bars a bit.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    SRAM has Matchmaker, which allows you to mount their shifters onto the brake levers.

I doubt you will want to switch from Campy to SRAM, but if you really care...

Members who have read this thread: 0