Refreshments- Mtbr.com

Thread: Refreshments

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Refreshments

Wondering what the majority of you commuters do for hydration?

1. Frame mounted bottle

2. hydration Pack

I currently rool with the bottle; however, since I have a full suspension bike it is a little difficult to get the bottle in and out of the cage and as a result I likely don't drink enough while riding.

Thinking of going wiht a partially filled hydration pack.

wondering what others do?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Refreshments

How long is your commute? I'm only riding ~5 miles so I just make sure I'm not thirsty before I start riding. Bottle cage over hydration pack for the commuter bike for sure though, given the choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    Still waiting for it to get warm enough to need a drink on the commute, but when that happens I prefer a bottle/cage. The Elite Ciussi Side Water Bottle Cage | Backcountry.com is good for small or weird frames that need a side-loading cage. For cool water in summer, I will put the bottle it in the freezer for a while.

mtbr member
    I usually have a backpack with my lunch/crap for the day in it. I either have a bottle in the frame mounted cage or in my backpack.

My commute isn't that long though, so its mostly for when i get to my destination; home, work or school.

mtbr member
    I was thinking this would be about beer portage. In which case, I have a porteur rack that holds a case and a half of beer, or a cooler with 18 beers. No cages needed.

I carry two bottles with me most of the time. Never know when the commute is going to turn adventure.

I think you found your own answer: a hydration pack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Takes me an hour each way to ride.......trying the hydration pack tomorrow....assuming I feel like riding when I get up

Yeah!
    Using Specialized Zee cages. Set the bottle in the top of the cage at 45, push down and rotate into the bottom. Let's me use my 25oz camelbak that has @ 1/8" between the nipple and the top tube. Kind of a hybrid cage. More secure than side loaders without requiring a crzy tight fit. Haven't dropped a bottle from a cage yet, even in crashing.

Bedwards Of The West
    Nothing. I'm a freak I guess. 14 mile commute home today in almost exactly an hour...I have one 18 mile route that is about the same time frame or shorter 'cause it's flatter. I'll tank up before I leave work and not wish for water on the ride. 6, 8, and 10 mile morning rides depending on route, and it's rare that I'll even take a drink before I leave the house. Up, shower, on bike... coffee pot is at work
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Took me a bit but i'm with CB now. No water on the 9 miles sometimes almost 1 hour commute. Not really needed, drink coffee before and after.

I do have a couple of these on each bike. Easily holds most bottles/cans: https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...untain-Feedbag

mtbr member
    Bottle. I don't want to take up extra space in my backpack with a bladder.

CB of the East
    I rarely drink on commutes less than 1 to 1.5 hours. I do usually bring coffee in a cage in the morning. I usually use cages on the road. I use to use cages on the trail but have moved to a hydration pack.

Like mtxb said, the thought of needing water on a ride hasn't crossed my mind in months.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Sometimes I fantasize about a coffee on the ride in, but in general I just don't. My ride isn't long enough to need it.

CB of the East
    It's not a matter of need. On a cold winter day (or May 1) when you pull up to a light that's just turned red, unclip your left foot and grab a sip of hot strong coffee...it warms your soul.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    put a little over 1 liter in my hydration pack this morning - did not really notice the extra weight in my pack. i thought i drank more than i usually do, and at the moment i feel better - but i'd imagine i'll still be dreaming of a siesta at about 2 pm........

i now think i will just take my bottle cage off my bike....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Nothing. I'm a freak I guess. 14 mile commute home today in almost exactly an hour...I have one 18 mile route that is about the same time frame or shorter 'cause it's flatter. I'll tank up before I leave work and not wish for water on the ride. 6, 8, and 10 mile morning rides depending on route, and it's rare that I'll even take a drink before I leave the house. Up, shower, on bike... coffee pot is at work
    I have a route that takes about an hour to get home nice ride...

But if I go hard on a nice hot day....I need about half a liter of water on the way. Dosn't much matter if I tank up at the start or not.

I use a bottle cause I don't wear a pack or carry anything on the commute.

I use a hydro pack on longer mtn rides, when I need to carry some more clothes etc. I definitely drink more woth hydro pack cause it is easier to use.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I drink before and after the ride, but mine is only about 8.5 miles and doesn't take more than about half an hour, so water isn't really needed. No cage holes on my SS, so my options become very limited. Probably will run one cage and a bottle on my other bike when it gets hot, probably that one week in July before winter starts again.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

since 4/10/2009
    I use a bottle on the commute. I prefer NOT using a backpack on my commute, so I keep my stuff on the bike. Panniers, bottle cage, etc.

I save the hydration pack for the trail.