Reflectors saved my life tonight.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Reflectors saved my life tonight.

I did wreck tonight but only as I was almost run off of the road. Driver pulled over to make sure I was OK. He said he didn't see me until he was close to me and caught my reflectors. It was raining really hard too. How do I convince my co-workers to get some? They said that they are too ugly. I do have a bruised knee. But I will live.

mtbr member
    Hey man glad you made it out in one piece. Some things come to my mind though...:

-Reflectors are visible from further away, even when you are not directly in the lightbeam. Was it around a corner or was the driver not paying attention?

-Assuming the road was straight: It could be that the rain on the windshield was creating a lot of "light sparks" in which your reflectors blended in instead of standing out...do you have big or small reflectors? I personally prefer a simple high-viz vest with several very large reflective strips on it.

-Were you running a red tail light? A red light should have stood out in white/bright reflecting rain drops.

Tell your co-workers about your experience and show them your bruised knee. If they are still not convinced, I dont know of another way which can be interpreted as (too) aggressive. You could tell them about the Darwin Awards or something...

Human Test Subject
    Glad you're ok.

I don't have any regular reflectors on my bike but I do have reflective tape covering up scratches and on my fenders. Reflective blue is a better color because it'll quickly register in someone's head as being out of the ordinary or make them think of a cop car.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I run a minimum of one taillight, sometimes two. Never rely solely on reflectors.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by volsung View Post
    glad you're ok.

I don't have any regular reflectors on my bike but i do have reflective tape covering up scratches and on my fenders. Reflective blue is a better color because it'll quickly register in someone's head as being out of the ordinary or make them think of a cop car.
    it's a cop bike!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I've always been a fan of reflectors, specially moving ones. Next time you're in your car at night, watch for 'cheap' bikes with platform pedals. They stand out like a sore p**** at a hooker's convention. Spud shoes used to have reflective heel tabs. Nowadays, not so much.
    I also quickly adapted to the flashing LED taillights. Draws attention much the same way . Most also have a built in reflector as well. WA state requires a rear reflector at night regardless. Both bases covered.
    Wheel reflectors are heavy and fugly. But if you ride at night a lot, well, wouldn't you rather be alive to complain about 'em?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    These have been around awhile, never tried them. Maybe lighter and at least cooler looking. And yes, looking cool is the thang on bikes too.
    12Pcs Bicycle Bike Mount Wheel Rim Spoke Tube Reflector Reflective Red 75mm | eBay

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I was at the top of a turn with heavy brush hanging over.....these are simple reflectors

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OlMarin View Post
    These have been around awhile, never tried them. Maybe lighter and at least cooler looking. And yes, looking cool is the thang on bikes too.
    12Pcs Bicycle Bike Mount Wheel Rim Spoke Tube Reflector Reflective Red 75mm | eBay
    I have those in silver, one on every spoke. Works better than reflective sidewalls since they can be seen from almost any angle. Red ones are even better to stand out in the rain. Blue stripes are a good idea too.

When I understand "top of a turn correctly" I can assume that the driver apparently took the turn too fast and couldnt see what was ahead? In those cases there is not much you can do :-/

mtbr member
    Good you didn't get severely hurt!!!

Personally, when riding on street at night (which I try to avoid) I always have a bright tail light.
    Reflectors don't help much seen from behind.
    friendly greetings
    Frank

mtbr member
    I've always been a fan of reflectors, specially moving ones. Next time you're in your car at night, watch for 'cheap' bikes with platform pedals.
    I agree, reflectors aren't a substitute for lights but in some ways they are better IMO. I would recommend plastering any commuter bike with 3m reflective tape, especially pedals, crankarms and wheels. Reflective sidewall tires and clothing are also a good idea.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Reflective rim tape on half rear Deep Vee Rims, alternate quarters on front and lightweight spoke reflectors in camera flash. These are not that helpful for cross traffic but at the oblique angles of approaching and overtaking vehicles, they should show up very well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I gotta say it.
    Reflectors saved my life tonite...........
    That an Elton John tune?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I just ordered a light kit for the front and a rear laser beam one for the back.....I added some wheel reflectors

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

I got these just for kicks. I like riding at nite here in farm country. Something serene about it. Not much traffic. I have an old Vistalite VL 400 that provides enough light running 4 AA's. And of course, a blinky in the back.

mtbr member
    Lights on day or night.

Forward:
    Strobing white Cateye Rapid X2 on the bar.
    Serfas TSL-1500 on the bar in 600 lumen mode. Can bump to 1,500 when necessary
    Olight S30R Baton III on the helmet

Rear:
    Red Cateye Rapid X2 strobing on the rack (great side visibility)
    Cygolite Hotshot rear facing on the rack.
    Cygolite Hotshot rear facing on the back of the helmet.
    Lupine ROTLICHT on the seatpost. Solid red on low with brake sensor bumping to 160 lumens while braking.

Reflectivity:
    3M Conspicuity Tape on the downtube near the BB, on the crank arms facing rear and forward, on several spokes.
    Reflective Sidewalls
    Reflective bits on the panniers, helmet and clothing.

That is seven lights, all rechargable. I look like a UFO coming down the street. And if 1 light dies, no big deal.

Overkill? You tell me.

GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Is it possible to mesmerize people with too much light? Blinded by the light so to speak.
    I think it would be really hard on a bicycle with current tech. Unless you wish to ride a 150 pound behemoth.
    DAMN THE MUD, FULL SPEED AHEAD!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Is it possible to mesmerize people with too much light? Blinded by the light so to speak.
    I think it would be really hard on a bicycle with current tech. Unless you wish to ride a 150 pound behemoth.
    well yes, most the dipshits around here have there 100-300w strobes eye level. most often or not they're also going against traffic on the side walk. sort of makes you want to hop the curb, if you know what I mean. as for my self no reflectors, sometimes lights, just common sense, patients and situational awareness.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Duh... Lights.

They're required here in Germany for good reason.

I always have a blinky blinking and a strobe in the front. Always.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer74 View Post
    Duh... Lights.

They're required here in Germany for good reason.

I always have a blinky blinking and a strobe in the front. Always.
    Winner, winner chicken dinner.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me