reflective paint- Mtbr.com
    The Voice of Reason

reflective paint

reflective paint, anyone tried it on a helmet?
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

mtbr member
    Nope and I wouldnt want it too. Who says you will get it off again?

A high-viz helmet cover costs the same, a high-viz vest is cheaper and there are enough commuter helmets that have a blinkie built in...

The Voice of Reason
    i'm looking to increase my visibility at night up high above car roofs. i've got lights and reflective stuff on the bike but they are low and get blocked by car bodies. i'm tall so why not use that to my advantage by making my helmet more visible. i posted earlier about a helmet light but i thought maybe some passive reflection would be good also. i'll probably just do some reflective tape. the reflective paint came up as an option.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've got reflective tape on my helmet, I doubt it does much since I have lights on there as well. Reflective tape is cheap though, so why not?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Megashnauzer View Post
    i'm looking to increase my visibility at night up high above car roofs. i've got lights and reflective stuff on the bike but they are low and get blocked by car bodies.
    Finally somebody who can think for himself

This is an issue a lot of people simply dont realize when putting on a high-viz vest. It is exactly why I have a helmet with a reflective cover and a blinkie on the back.

I used reflective tape on my previous helmet too btw.

mtbr member
    There used to be a guy on bikeforums who had a 6 foot+ pole on the back of his bike with a high-lumen light at the top for this purpose.

Despite having large amounts of reflective gear, I always was skeptical of it's usefulness in the face of locally vast numbers of drivers without effective headlights.

Thus, if I was gonna do this, I'd probably go with a high-lumen wide-dispersal pattern light on the back of the helmet. Most new ones are not heavy.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

The Voice of Reason
    i'm doing the light and reflective tape. i've had some close calls lately while commuting at night. being visible may not have been the problem, it may have been stupid drivers but getting seen is cheap and i can't fix stupid drivers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Check out something called solas reflective tape. Coast Guard marine specs.

The Voice of Reason
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Check out something called solas reflective tape. Coast Guard marine specs.
    that's what i ordered.

mtbr member
    I havent tried it.myself, but I once read a tip to put a small light on the back of your bike, shining upwards on your back. It will light up the reflectors even when there is no light shining on them from elsewhere.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    I havent tried it.myself, but I once read a tip to put a small light on the back of your bike, shining upwards on your back. It will light up the reflectors even when there is no light shining on them from elsewhere.
    not very useful. may as will ditch the light

retro reflectors and conspicuity tape reflect light back to the source, they
    do not spread light around. if they did they would be useless
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    I've got reflective tape on my helmet, I doubt it does much since I have lights on there as well. Reflective tape is cheap though, so why not?
    Others have stated this, I will too.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-Reflect...53.m1438.l2649
    Available in many colors and different widths. You could do something really cool. And I dunno about you, but I replace my helmet every 3 years or so. Why buy a bottle of paint only to find it's dried up when it's time to do a new one? I'm a cheap [email protected][email protected]*d.
    Tape has an almost indefinite shelf life when stored properly
    DAMN THE MUD, FULL SPEED AHEAD!!

Human Test Subject
    Slight threadjack-

Has anyone tried retroreflective powder coat? It's fairly new because it's harder to get stop sign level brightness on round surfaces.

Rides all the bikes!
    I have reflective tape on my helmet for in case I wreck. Hopefully someone will see my head on the ground and not run me over (again).

mtbr member
    My videos of my bike and clothing riding into and through my car's headlights, showed that with low beams on the car, the Hi Vis vest and helmet don't show up. That may be a lot better on a lighted street. Reflectors were not showing up until the bike was 20 feet away from the car on a simulated side street. That is less than a second @ 14 mph. So they help but not a lot for cross traffic. The high vis and helmet showed in the day. At night, nothing beats lights.

The Voice of Reason
    i got my reflective tape and my helmet blinky yesterday. i didn't get run over last night. thanks for all the help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    At night, nothing beats lights.

except lights and reflectors, both are best IMO.

I put reflective tape everywhere on commuters, especially on moving parts (cranks, pedals, etc.) IME it's very effective and while driving I've seen reflectors on bikes and other things from at least 100 yds out.
    I brake for stinkbugs

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post

I put reflective tape everywhere on commuters, especially on moving parts (cranks, pedals, etc.) IME it's very effective and while driving I've seen reflectors on bikes and other things from at least 100 yds out.
    yup. I get truck tape from autobone and put a strip on the crank. much effective

also small highlights on the seatstays and front fork crown, as well as lights

my fatbike rim liner is one huge blue retroreflective strip
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member

Yes from behind or the front. For cross traffic which night collision data say are the most likely, reflectors are too little too late.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Specially moving ones. Many lament wheel reflectors and call them dork discs. Tell ya what, I'd rather be a live dork than a dead cool guy. Just got new wheels for a commuter, came with these and they're not coming off

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Yes from behind or the front. For cross traffic which night collision data say are the most likely, reflectors are too little too late.

I wonder about that data, lots of intoxicated riders (and drivers) weaving around at night and a lot of those riders are running without any lights and making dangerous judgmental errors.

Anyway I disagree about reflectors being too little too late, as a driver I find them to be highly visible and IMO anything you can do to increase visibility is a good thing.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    When driving my car the first thing I notice when approaching a bicycle from behind is the pedal reflectors. They're moving and draw attention. That's why blinky lights are so effective

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I think I will get some reflective material. I have an ancient Cateye blinky that works well but doesn't have reflective a reflector built in. My state wants a red reflector. A light can be used in addition but not in place of or something like that. A bit of red tape around the rack in a few spots will make it legal. And have some fun with the helmet while I'm at it.