redline commuter bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

redline commuter bikes

anyone ride a metro9 or anything similar. i wanted a d440 but the metro 9 comes with fenders. any other bikes i should have on my radar.

Hairy man
    I ride a Redline Conquest and I had the frame snap on me once. So I don't really trust them to build a quality bike.

Aside from that, it's been great.
    We all get it in the end.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Sooner or later, everything breaks. Details?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I ride a D440 everyday as a Bike Messanger. I have Planet Bike Casscadia Fenders, Avid Single Digits, Race Face cranks/seatpost/handlebar, and Ritchey 700c Speedmax tires. We are in full blown winter up here and the bike is fantastic!

BIG and Bald
    You can put fenders on the 440.
    "Don't neever gave up..."

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i like the d440. i think its the best geared rigid around for the money right now. I got a 2007 gf rig coming my way right now. so ill probably have to wait a few months before getting a new bike.

Oct 2009
    I commute on a mostly stock d440 everyday and I love that sob. Very fast! Except now when there's an inch or two of ice on the ground... I have to ride like my grandpa's grandpa.
    Really contemplating studded tires...

I use the SKS 29er fenders on the front and back they've done a great job keeping me dry through absolutely everything you could imagine... that includes riding two miles in four inches of slush. It was nasty, but fun because I had the front and rear fenders. I did get a little splash on my kicks though. I don't think those tight fitting fenders would work very well in situations where you can get build-up, or if you want to run some beefy tires for getting through the snow.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    My friend uses a D440 as a daily commuter with 35mm schwalbe slicks when there isn't snow on the ground, knobbies when there is. It works great, good value for the money for sure.

I think redline makes solid frames and offers good value for the components, generally The redline 925 is a very popular commuter singlespeed, and the metro9 uses pretty much the same frame. If you don't need wider than maybe 30mm tires either of those would be great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    ill probably buy a d440 before the summer

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have a 08 R550 that I bought in late 08. I love it so far.

Members who have read this thread: 0