Redline 925- Mtbr.com

Thread: Redline 925

smell the saddle...

Redline 925

I've done a few searches with barely any matches, anyone riding one of these and have any photos and/or reviews???

I am thinking of selling my Surly 1X1 and getting the 925, curious to get some input.

For those not familar, here's the bread.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    They're nice enough bikes. I used to work at a Redline dealer. I think they handle pretty well (definitely a road feel, not like a track frame). They could probably clear 32s without fenders, 30s or so with them, maybe more.

The stock components are basic but workable, at least 2 years ago, and I don't think they have changed much but the handlebar arrangement since then. Overall a solid bike.

Things I don't like (personally):
    - I want more tire clearance for a commuter bike than that, but if you don't have snow to deal with much, not an issue.
    - I prefer 130 or 135 hub spacing and I believe the 925 is 120. Though others would prefer the 120 spacing.

Can't go wrong, unless you do, you know? What do you want out of the bike?

smell the saddle...
    No snow here in south LA, so thatís not an issue. Iíve found a good bit of positive reviews on other sites most complaints were the original handebars to which they have replaced in recent models. My interest is primarily commuting although I may be tempted to do a local mini-duathlon in the Fall and I think this bike is better equipped than using my Surly 1x1 commuter. Iím not sure what the going price is, but upon a few searches older models ranged from 500-600ish (pretty fair considering). Iíll upgrade the freewheel to WI ENO, post, stem, headset, and possibly the cranks. Wheels will come later, and I discovered the 120mm hub as a culprit Ė shouldnít be that big of a deal.

Thanks for the input, itís a sweet looking bike I think for the price and setup it will be hard to beat.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Depending on the length of the duathlon, the course, and how competitive you're feeling about it, you may want a multi-speed bike. Time trials were the last holdout for fixed gears in cycle racing that doesn't mandate the use of a fixed gear bike, though.

I haven't had seat time on a 925 myself, but I had a coworker who rode one, and liked it a lot.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

smell the saddle...
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    Depending on the length of the duathlon, the course, and how competitive you're feeling about it, you may want a multi-speed bike. Time trials were the last holdout for fixed gears in cycle racing that doesn't mandate the use of a fixed gear bike, though.

I haven't had seat time on a 925 myself, but I had a coworker who rode one, and liked it a lot.
    The duathlon is short & flat (10 miles). I liked the idea of sticking with a ss bike over gears. I am not aggressively trying to compete or anything. I just figured something on more of a road type frame would be more comfortable than mtb. However, this ideology is just lagniappe my specific interest in the bike is for commuting and neighborhood riding with kiddo.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Another one to look at is the Salsa Caseroll Singlespeed. It's on clearanec online a lot of places if you can still find your size. I like the 925 but I think the Salsa is a bit better specced and more versatile.

smell the saddle...
    Cool, I hadn’t run across that one – thanks. I found out from a local dealer, Redline is sold out of all sizes of the 2010 models. Supposedly the 2011 models may be coming out soon (or at least catalogs for orders). So I started calling a bunch of other shops in towns nearby who carried Redline and found (2), one is 2009 52 size, the other is a 2008 56 size. The 2008 is on sale for $379!!! I’m going check it out Saturday and will probably put it on lay-away if it fits.

Members who have read this thread: 0