Redline 925

Printable View

• 06-26-2010
    stumonky
    Redline 925
    I've done a few searches with barely any matches, anyone riding one of these and have any photos and/or reviews???

I am thinking of selling my Surly 1X1 and getting the 925, curious to get some input.

For those not familar, here's the bread.
  • 06-26-2010
    M_S
    They're nice enough bikes. I used to work at a Redline dealer. I think they handle pretty well (definitely a road feel, not like a track frame). They could probably clear 32s without fenders, 30s or so with them, maybe more.

The stock components are basic but workable, at least 2 years ago, and I don't think they have changed much but the handlebar arrangement since then. Overall a solid bike.

Things I don't like (personally):
    - I want more tire clearance for a commuter bike than that, but if you don't have snow to deal with much, not an issue.
    - I prefer 130 or 135 hub spacing and I believe the 925 is 120. Though others would prefer the 120 spacing.

Can't go wrong, unless you do, you know? What do you want out of the bike?
  • 06-28-2010
    stumonky
    No snow here in south LA, so thatís not an issue. Iíve found a good bit of positive reviews on other sites most complaints were the original handebars to which they have replaced in recent models. My interest is primarily commuting although I may be tempted to do a local mini-duathlon in the Fall and I think this bike is better equipped than using my Surly 1x1 commuter. Iím not sure what the going price is, but upon a few searches older models ranged from 500-600ish (pretty fair considering). Iíll upgrade the freewheel to WI ENO, post, stem, headset, and possibly the cranks. Wheels will come later, and I discovered the 120mm hub as a culprit Ė shouldnít be that big of a deal.

Thanks for the input, itís a sweet looking bike I think for the price and setup it will be hard to beat.
  • 06-28-2010
    AndrwSwitch
    Depending on the length of the duathlon, the course, and how competitive you're feeling about it, you may want a multi-speed bike. Time trials were the last holdout for fixed gears in cycle racing that doesn't mandate the use of a fixed gear bike, though.

I haven't had seat time on a 925 myself, but I had a coworker who rode one, and liked it a lot.
  • 06-28-2010
    stumonky
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    Depending on the length of the duathlon, the course, and how competitive you're feeling about it, you may want a multi-speed bike. Time trials were the last holdout for fixed gears in cycle racing that doesn't mandate the use of a fixed gear bike, though.

I haven't had seat time on a 925 myself, but I had a coworker who rode one, and liked it a lot.

The duathlon is short & flat (10 miles). I liked the idea of sticking with a ss bike over gears. I am not aggressively trying to compete or anything. I just figured something on more of a road type frame would be more comfortable than mtb. However, this ideology is just lagniappe my specific interest in the bike is for commuting and neighborhood riding with kiddo.
  • 06-30-2010
    M_S
    Another one to look at is the Salsa Caseroll Singlespeed. It's on clearanec online a lot of places if you can still find your size. I like the 925 but I think the Salsa is a bit better specced and more versatile.
  • 06-30-2010
    stumonky
    Cool, I hadn’t run across that one – thanks. I found out from a local dealer, Redline is sold out of all sizes of the 2010 models. Supposedly the 2011 models may be coming out soon (or at least catalogs for orders). So I started calling a bunch of other shops in towns nearby who carried Redline and found (2), one is 2009 52 size, the other is a 2008 56 size. The 2008 is on sale for $379!!! I’m going check it out Saturday and will probably put it on lay-away if it fits.