Recommend Me A Windbreaker- Mtbr.com
    Wanderer

Recommend Me A Windbreaker

First chilly day for me. Ok, it was only 60 degrees but thats cold to me.

Had a nice long sleeve shirt on but its obvious I need some sort of windbreaker.

Layering up would have helped block the wind but would have made it to hot also.

I would like a long sleeve windbreaker with high visibility for pre-dawn commuting.

What do you like?

Extra bonus points if it can double as a rain jacket and doesn't cost $200. I have no idea why they are so expensive.

thanks

Wanderer

since 4/10/2009
    the expense is coming from the various techniques to create a waterproof/breathable garment that doesn't feel like you're wearing a trash bag.

For this time of year (it was around 50F this morning), I like a Windstopper N2S jacket that I got for something like $25 several years ago. It doesn't do much for rain because it's designed to be a wicking wind blocker, but it does okay with light drizzle.

when it starts getting colder, I opt for a thicker softshell. The one I have now is not a technical garment (just a basic Eddie Bauer one) but it's a bit warmer and handles a little bit more rain and I got it for less than $100 on sale. A technical softshell can be pretty waterproof, but they can cost well over $200.

For serious rain and layering for the very cold, I switch to a hardshell (Marmot Precip) and a fleece for insulation.

I use a mesh visibility vest so I don't have to rely on the limited selection of high-vis jackets.

psycho cyclo addict
    If 60 degrees is cold, you need something very light that breathes. Some of the newer Gore cycling stuff breathes better than their older gear but it is very expensive. I suggest you take a look at rei.com and try one of their brand light jackets maybe something like REI Ultra Light Jacket - Men's - Free Shipping at REI.com

I have one from them that I purchased ~7 years ago (full zip no liner inside) and it breathes the best of all. I ride in anything above 10 degrees to low 100's... For colder climate riding, Gore windstopper and Castelli cold weather gear work the best in my experience. I hunt on eBay in the summer time for winter clothes... that's when they are somewhat reasonably priced.

jrm
    mtbr member

I use one of these year round

in temps down towards 35 wearing a long sleeve jersey underneath and it works Ok. They also roll up real small and weigh next to nothing.

Sierra Designs Microlight Jacket - Men's at REI.com

Moderator Moderator
    For those temps I might prefer a windvest, or get the jacket with zip-off sleeves for versatility. One thing I noticed on vests is that many are only bright on the front, but have duller black or white mesh on the back. I got a Sugoi Zap vest on clearance and that one is fluorescent all around.

Air Pirate
    If you are not worried about maximum breathability and water-proofness, then just about anywhere will have a windbreaker that will suffice, even if it is not cycling specific. Get it in a "Tall/Long" size instead of regular, that way the garment will have extra length in the body and longer sleeves to handle the stretch to the handlebars.

I found a Columbia shell (three layer - hydrophillic interior,membrane, and DWR exterior) for $20 discounted from it's original $150.00 at the local Ross store (discounter that buys stuff from big name stores and blows it out for pennies on the dollar). It just happened to be a Tall/Long and so far has been a really comfortable shell for the bike.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Wanderer
    Good idea on the Ross. I'll check them out this weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I use a jacket from mountainpeak. It is said to be wind and waterproof. Except for extreme downpours it works great, even in freezing winds it keeps me warm. The jacket was pretty inexpensive as well.

edit: i would like to add a picture of it but it seems i cant because of my postcount...

mtbr member
    The Marmot driclime windshirt is supposed to be one of the best wind jackets you can get for the price. Depending on your size there are some killer deals on XL and XXL at least a week ago when I was looking. I do not own one but plan to buy one once I see how much riding I will do in the colder temps this year (just built up a bike to use on the road and trail so want to keep riding through winter when the roads are clear).

But I've read a ton of reviews on a lot of jackets for this exact purpose and from everything I've read nobody has had a negative thing to say about that jacket. I own a couple other Marmots and they have always performed as intended. Marmots tend to be a little more expensive but compared to a lot of the other wind jackets I was looking at, the Marmot was right in the price range or less.

mtbr member
    I just picked up a Bontrager eVent stormshell jacket. I havent used it in the rain yet, but it looks to be a a great jacket. Pricy though, but I work at a trek shop so I got a good deal for myself. For a wind jacket only, not waterproof, you can easily find something that works for well under a hundo. If your commute is longer you will warm up, and a wind vest might be all you need. That work for me down to 45 or so with a long sleeve wool jersey.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Gore-Tex my friend!

mtbr member
    I'm guessing the OP has purchased something by now, but just in case he hasn't, I'll throw in my $0.02.

I have one of these guys:

Pearl Izumi ELITE Barrier Convertible Bike Jacket - Men's - Free Shipping at REI.com

I like it, breathes pretty well, blocks wind nicely and is water resistant. It also has zip off sleeves.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I bought a soft-shell vest at Costco for about $20 that blocks the wind very well. I can wear it with a fleece underneath, down to about 40 degrees or so. Colder, and I can add a long-sleeve shirt under the fleece.

I have very, very little cycling specific clothing (shoes, padded shorts, J&G rain jacket/pants/helmet cover), but I commute year-around in all kinds of weather (13,000+ miles in the past few years). In general, I think cycling specific clothing is overpriced for what you get. Look outside the box and you'll find what you need for a lot less.

Wanderer
    I went ahead and bought this:

Amazon.com: Ron Hill Vizion Windlite Running Jacket: Clothing

Amazon is taking its sweet time in getting it to me tho.

I have an 10 year old rainjacket that works decently but it isn't notice me yellow and it doesn't breathe all that well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I picked up a neon/safety yellow vest sold by Specialized.
    It was on closeout at the LBS and has worked for me down to 35 degrees this morning with just a Underarmor Cold Gear shirt under it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    I have [a Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier Convertible Jacket].

I like it, breathes pretty well, blocks wind nicely and is water resistant. It also has zip off sleeves.
    I have the Elite Convertible from last year. It is a good wind jacket but not at all water resistant. Maybe this year's model is better. I use it as a summer jacket for Alaska, but I suppose it would trap enough warmth for fall rides down south.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ConfederateLawyer View Post
    I have the Elite Convertible from last year. It is a good wind jacket but not at all water resistant. Maybe this year's model is better. I use it as a summer jacket for Alaska, but I suppose it would trap enough warmth for fall rides down south.
    I rode in a steady rain for over an hour in mine recently and everything other than my torso was drenched. I'd say my shirt was 80-90% dry, and that was without fenders, so I had constant spray from my back tire. The rain had completely penetrated my water resistant shoe covers and gloves. So they must have improved it since last year.
    Last edited by Straz85; 10-21-2011 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I love the Peal Izuma my wife stole for me! I would never pay those prices, but her dad does. She had no idea it was even for cycling. Last time we visited, she grabbed it from the coat rack and loved it so much he let her keep it. Oh the benefits of having wealthy in-laws who have a weakness for their daughter!

mtbr member
    I was going to buy the Marmot I wrote about above but couldn't find one as cheap as I wanted to pay right now - after just building up a carbon bike. So I just bought the Mountain hardwear Telesto from backcountry for $59. Couldn't really find any reviews on it but it's Mountain Hardwear so it should work for what I want. I'll post something when I get it and use it a couple times - the weather in upstate NY is perfect right now for this jacket.

Beanie aficionado
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff View Post
    I went ahead and bought this:

Amazon.com: Ron Hill Vizion Windlite Running Jacket: Clothing

Amazon is taking its sweet time in getting it to me tho.

I have an 10 year old rainjacket that works decently but it isn't notice me yellow and it doesn't breathe all that well.
    In the mean time just throw on a second jersey and a set of arm warmers.
    this morning it was 50 and sunny and i was comfy on my 14 mile commute. When i was half way to work i peeled off the arm warmers and mostly unzipped the 2nd jersey.
    Best part is... you already own them!
    Free ninety nine!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by valentin_84 View Post
    Gore-Tex my friend!
    Seriously? Gore-tex for a cool weather windbreaker? A bit over-kill don't you think?

I like tight-knit wool (regular, not that high dollar merino stuff) for cool weather riding with a low chance of precip. Over top of a baselayer it provides warmth while breathing out heat exceptionally well, plus it takes a LONG time to pick up any funky smells. If it gets a bit colder, add a vest with a mesh back to block wind coming into your core from the front but vent heat out the back and arms. Colder than that, add a breathable full sleeve jacket of your choice. Quarter zip wool sweaters are easy to be had cheap at places like TJ-Maxx or even a second hand shop. The zip is great for venting extra heat out the front after you get warmed up.

Only downside is that it's not the most aerodynamic material if you're concerned about going fast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    J&G make reasonably priced cycling jackets. My wife uses one and is very happy with it.

Made in the States and $100.

Waterproof Breathable Jackets from People Who Really Know Waterproof Breathable Jackets!