Recommend me a good tire- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Recommend me a good tire

HI
    I'm running 700x28 vittoria saffiro right now on my commuter.
    theses were on the bike when i bought it. they worked good but the rear one is worn out.

I'm interrested in getting something reliable in the 700x30-32 range that is good quality without breaking the bank.

any recomendation

mtbr member
    The Panaracer Pasela comes in that size, cheap, and there's a "tour guard" model with a kevlar liner.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I've been using Vittoria Randonneur Cross tires for commuting and limestone trails for a year now and have had zero flats. Although they are not the fastest tires ever.

ride the moment
    I've had good luck with Forte tires from Performance bike. They're the house brand and usually under $15. Any of the "K" tires are kevlar lined and very puncture resistant. You would have to pick between a 27 and a 35 though.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

OSM
    mtbr member
    I have been using Specialized armadillo 1.5s. In 4 years I have gone through 4 tires and over 15,000 miles and have never gotten a flat. They grip and the price is an investment really.
    Bicycles D'opinion/ COMMENCAL /Principat D'Andorra

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have a Specialized Armadillo and a Michelin City on my commuter right now. The Armadillo is a few years old, and has been doing really well. The Michelin sat around for a while and I've been using it about four months; it's also doing well.

I had a Forte GT2 (Probably a kevlar-belted version, not sure) on the rear wheel before I started blowing spokes. The tire was fine, but since I switched from 27" to 700C, it's waiting for the Armadillo to wear out.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    This will sound goofy, bu you should be able to pick up a pair of Bontrager race lite or hardcase in a 700 x 30 or 32 for pretty cheap - I only mention it because I actually had good luck with them, and Trek stores usually carry them for cheap. Plus, if you don't need a real tread pattern, the harder center compound gives them pretty low rolling resistance...

mtbr member
    Good suggestions so far. I intend to pick up some Paselas in 32 when I wear through my Ritchey speedmaxs. That said I can recommend the Speedmax in 32 as solid, inexpensive tyres that roll well and offer versatility of the cornering knobs when taken to the dirt.

Decaf? I said THREE-caf!
    Good: Forte (Surprising, right?), Panaracer Pasela (but they dry rot really fast, so if you're not getting a lot of miles you'll still need to replace them at least every other year), Vittoria- either Zaffiro or Randonneur.

Bad: Specialized: casing threads randomly tear apart- makes big lump and really loud bang (which is funny when it happens on the back and your buddy thinks someone's shooting at you but not so funny on the front when you're doing 30+ in heavy traffic); Hutchinson: wear out in less than 2000 miles and seem to attract punctures and sidewall cuts.

mtbr member
    Anyone tried continental sport contact?
    i'm looking for more volume than my 700x28 but not necessary more Knobs/threads.
    like i said 700x30/32 would be good to help absorb the bumpy roads i have here...Now, i'm wondering how much difference the bigger volume will do to my speed?

mtbr member
    The higher volume won't do much if anything to your speed. Unless you get the heaviest tyres you can find, in which case they will be slightly slower to get moving, but not noticeably so. Its not like your are moving all the way up to a 700x50 tyre. Most of the suggestions are about as good as you will get in terms of smooth road action, namely the Pasela and the Vitoria Randonneur about which I've read many positive reviews.

If you are dead set on having no tread whatsoever(which will not be any better or worse than a small smooth tread), then check out these Rivendell Jack Brown. They are 33mm which is a negligible difference from 32mm and I've read quite a good many favourable reviews about these. Made by Panaracer.

Soma makes another option called Xpress which is also made by Panaracer and comes in 32mm. They have other tyres as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
    Anyone tried continental sport contact?
    i'm looking for more volume than my 700x28 but not necessary more Knobs/threads.
    like i said 700x30/32 would be good to help absorb the bumpy roads i have here...Now, i'm wondering how much difference the bigger volume will do to my speed?
    I had a set (32c) and they were bullet proof but very slow and not that much more comfortable than 28c Ultra Gatorskins. The Sport contacts have very stiff sidewalls.

mtbr member
    i'm not dead set for slick/no threads tire. I'm really just just looking to get a comfier ride without loosing speed. i'm a mountain biker first, i see a very big roll difference when switching tires on my mttb so i'm thinking a similar effect happend with road tires.
    if little thread does not make as difference i will most likely get some thread .

thanks

Fat-tired Roadie
    What tire pressure are you running?

My experience is that I'm just as comfortable on 23mm tires as on 34mm tires, but I'm not a big guy and don't carry loads on the bike with the 23s, so I don't risk pinch flats riding them at 80 and 95 psi. My commuter has 28s and the same pressure because loads on the rack aren't smart enough to post going over big stuff. It's less comfortable, but I imagine it would really blow with skinny tires, since I'd be forced to run them at higher pressure.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    What tire pressure are you running?

My experience is that I'm just as comfortable on 23mm tires as on 34mm tires, but I'm not a big guy and don't carry loads on the bike with the 23s, so I don't risk pinch flats riding them at 80 and 95 psi. My commuter has 28s and the same pressure because loads on the rack aren't smart enough to post going over big stuff. It's less comfortable, but I imagine it would really blow with skinny tires, since I'd be forced to run them at higher pressure.
    recommended pressure is 120lbs
    i usually run them at 100 or so.

Members who have read this thread: 0