Recommend a disc able, 700C / 29er frame for commuting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Recommend a disc able, 700C / 29er frame for commuting

Hi everyone, I am looking for a 700C / 29er frame (steel very much preferred) for commuting. Want it to be able to use MTB front and rear derailers as I have a spare set of those.

Need it to run disc brakes as I also have 2 spare sets of disc brakes that I don't want to waste.

Will be running either flat or mid rise bars. No drop bars for me...

I will be using a carbon 29er MTB fork, unless you have a road specific, disc able, lighter fork that you can recommend.

One other question...... Can one lace ROAD 700C rims onto MTB DISC HUBS? or do I have to use only MTB 29er rims on MTB disc hubs?

Any recommendations please?

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I feel in love with my KM, again this morning on the commute. It's built for comfort, with low tire pressure, high volume tires, and 1x9. Many people run them with skinny tires. For a commuter, its a good mix because Im not super worried if something happens to the frame and can handle abuse. You can find a used frame pretty cheap online.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The main determining factor for me is what your intended use is. If you are just going to be commuting and running fat 700c tires, there are plenty of 29er/700c options. If you plan on throwing some 29 nobbies on there and taking if offroad, I think you are better off getting an actual 29er frame. Toe overlap on a bike that can HANDLE 29er tires but is BUILT for traditional 700c tires is typically terrible in my experience.

As far as using your mtb fr and rr derailleurs, the rear should work on anything. The front will depend on seat tube clamp size.

There are no issues lacing a 700c rim to mtb hubs as long as the spoke count is the same.

That said, my next frame will be a Civia Bryant frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Since I'm mostly a one bike person, me owning a Ragley Blue Pig not withstanding... , I would like to be able to slap on some knobbies and do the occasional ride in the trail... so yah, I suppose a dedicated 29er frame rather than a 700C frame.

The KM looks good, but its designed for 80mm travel. I suppose if I'm going to be riding in the trails every once in a while, I would like to be looking at at least 100mm travel design frame.

So..... a dedicated 29er frame that is designed around a 100mm fork would be nice.

A question, for 700C tires, its always listed as 700 x __. The numbers that follow, like 23, 38 etc are the widths I gather? so a 38 would translate into approximately 38/25.4 = 1.5inch tires? Or am I mistaken? How about the letter behind the number, like 35B, 35C. What do the letters indicate?

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tessaiga
    A question, for 700C tires, its always listed as 700 x __. The numbers that follow, like 23, 38 etc are the widths I gather? so a 38 would translate into approximately 38/25.4 = 1.5inch tires? Or am I mistaken? How about the letter behind the number, like 35B, 35C. What do the letters indicate?
    Everything you ever wanted to know about tire sizes from the late, great, Sheldon Brown:

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

I run a steel Soma Double Cross disc compatible cyclocross frame for commuting. The rear dropout on this frame is sized at 132.5mm, so it can take either a road (130mm) or Mountain (135mm) hub. I am running Mavic Speedcity wheels with AvidBB7 discs on mine.

As the other poster said, any RD should work as long as it's compatible with the shifters. The FD will also need to be compatible with the shifter, and the FD clamp will need to be sized for the seatpost tube size of your frame.

Frt Range, CO
    BikeIsland's chromo 29er disc frame, #350 shipped with suspension fork you can sell or use:
    http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ls&ProdID=1620

Members who have read this thread: 0