• 07-02-2010
    wpuk
    Recommend a Commuter/Mountain Bike
    My mates asked me to source a bike for his lass, mainly used for commuting but must be able to be a capable mountain bike with the change of a set of tyres.

Not much to spend, talking Giant Yukon ballpark

Any help appreciated :)
  • 07-02-2010
    Dion
    new or used?
  • 07-02-2010
    wpuk
    New,

she's not commuting to far, i think its only a 10/12 mile round trip, 5 days a week, one decent hill, needs to be duel role to get maximum value out the bike, they arent exactly flush with cash
  • 07-02-2010
    Mr Pink57
    I'd say look at a touring style they generally are heavy but work well. Or look at a 29er mountain bike that you can convert something along the lines of a Peace 9r (there is a Peace Tour). The perfect bike would be a Salsa Fargo but I think it would be out of the budget but give it a look it can take 29x2.4 tires.

For this type of riding I have an old 1998 Trek that I fitted with fenders and mountain drop bars. But for true mountain biking I will always just have a mountain bike.
  • 07-04-2010
    Squash
    Actually....
    the Yukon isn't a bad choice. Solid frame, disc brakes, resonalble parts spec for the price point, etc. Others that run about the same are the Trek 4300, Fisher Wahoo, Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc, Jamis Durango 1, and many others fall into the price range. Most 29ers are going to be a tad more expensive for a given component spec than a 26" bike. But they can be had as well in the same price range. Your just not likely to have as many choices with a 29er. There are very few "touring bikes" that I am aware of that would fit the price point your mates looking for. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to look.

The only draw back to using an MTB for a commuter is usually rack/fender mounts. Many MTBs in the price range will have mounts, but only one set, and usually only in the rear. So you have a choice, rack or fender, unless you get creative with the mounting system.

Anyway, any of the above as well as others will be fully capable entry level off road bikes, and make durable commuters as well.
  • 07-04-2010
    Dion
    The Specialized Globe bikes look very nice.
  • 07-05-2010
    jeffscott
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wpuk
    My mates asked me to source a bike for his lass, mainly used for commuting but must be able to be a capable mountain bike with the change of a set of tyres.

Not much to spend, talking Giant Yukon ballpark

Any help appreciated :)

Hard tail less than 25 lbs weight XC geometry...

best components you can afford.