Reckless Driving - on a bike- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

since 4/10/2009
    Sounds like a very common-sense ruling on the case.

It's too bad the school bus driver was not punished according to the law for running over and killing a local cyclist who was riding in the bike lane earlier this year. While certainly not intentional in this case, running into/over someone else who is traveling appropriately according to the law should come with some kind of penalty. We have a long way to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I was driving around looking for cheap bikes at garage sales.....came around a corner on a narrow 2 lane road and a big suv was half in my lane passing a bike.....luckly the was a decent shoulder and I went on the shoulder and laying on the horn at the other driver...... combined speed would have been about 80-90 mph as it was a 45 mph zone.... stupid move by the other driver, I would not be on that road on a bike myself as there is no bike lanes
    97 specialized rockhopper.- urban beater
    2013 GT aggressor 3.0- urban assault vehicle

since 4/10/2009
    bike lanes are not the be-all end-all answer. Especially on rural roads. I know people who take the complete opposite stance as you. They will go out of their way to avoid riding in bike lanes just because some of them are poorly designed and/or maintained.

drivers' mentalities need to change. There is too much selfishness and not enough consideration for ALL other road users (even other cagers). Road design absolutely plays a role in that, but it's something that's been entrenched for almost a century now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhopper97 View Post
    I ...came around a corner on a narrow 2 lane road and a big suv was half in my lane passing a bike....I would not be on that road on a bike myself as there is no bike lanes
    *** One of the reasons it is reckless driving in Indiana to pass so close to a stop that you are not back over before 100 feet (assuming the oncoming had a stop sign). If you had a stop sign, then you must yield to all oncoming traffic even that passing another vehicle in the lane you plan to enter. If a four way, both apply. Your state laws may differ.

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    bike lanes are not the be-all end-all answer. Especially on rural roads. I know people who take the complete opposite stance as you. They will go out of their way to avoid riding in bike lanes just because some of them are poorly designed and/or maintained.

drivers' mentalities need to change. There is too much selfishness and not enough consideration for ALL other road users (even other cagers). Road design absolutely plays a role in that, but it's something that's been entrenched for almost a century now.
    If I would ride only with bike lanes I would be SOL locally. Columbus IN MUP vary from so-so to just idiotic. I refuse to ride them if I ride over there.