Rear Rack Trouble- Mtbr.com
    NDD
    mtbr member

Rear Rack Trouble

Hey y'all,

I have a rack that I have and like to use, but cannot put on either of my bikes right now. Not on the mountain bike because I lost the square piece that mounts under the rack and connects the arm piece (see link). Not on the single speed, because my other arm piece (see in the link the piece that says optional) broke where the bolt mounts into the frame. This is probably my fault because I likely forgot the washer and then tightened the bolt too tight.

Losing the square piece is still a mystery to me. I dropped it, heard it hit something right next to me, and it's just gone. It's been a while and occasionally I'll move things around in the garage to look for it, but it never turns up. I guess there's a portal and someone else is using it...

I'm presuming I won't be able to get a replacement for the parts because Blackburn no longer makes this model of rack. Therefore I need some creative help in coming up with a solution. What else could I do to replace that square piece?

Link: http://www.blackburndesign.com/black...ack_manual.pdf
    dang

mtbr member
    The square bolt shouldn't be very hard to make a new one. A piece of steel strap with two holes drilled in it for the bolts will work.

If the piece you broke is just the strap, any LBS should carry a replacement.

mtbr member
    Other manufacturers use the same systems, so I think they're pretty standard.

The Planetbike versarack uses the same square-piece-thingy. And I've got an axiom that came with the optional super-beefy single stay that's shown in the drawing.

So you might be able to find the spare parts from another manufacturer. Or just email blackburn, because they might still be using them on a different model.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Already emailed them just not hopeful because the new models use different systems. Probably will drop by lbs and hardware store
    dang

mtbr member
    Tada?

Versa Rack Upper Stay bracket (XL)

(slightly different use of the bolts, but should still be workable?)

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Tada?

Versa Rack Upper Stay bracket (XL)

(slightly different use of the bolts, but should still be workable?)
    Hmm. That'd work. I'll actually Probably just order that thing then.

I have three racks and all are missing some critical piece so I'm trying to get myself in gear and take care of this mess. I can get one on each of my bikes and put another on my girlfriend's. Then I can feel accomplished.
    dang

NDD
    mtbr member
    Glad I went ahead and ordered from planet bike. Blackburn customer service emailed me back and they don't keep or make that part anymore.
    dang

mtbr member
    I like Planetbike's dedication to not just throwing stuff out because you lost a bolt. I have one of their racks, but I've also used their replacement parts for a couple of other different brands. And their free-shipping-for-replacement-parts even extends to lonely ol' Canada.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I like Planetbike's dedication to not just throwing stuff out because you lost a bolt. I have one of their racks, but I've also used their replacement parts for a couple of other different brands. And their free-shipping-for-replacement-parts even extends to lonely ol' Canada.
    Yeah, I don't really have any of their products but I might soon. I was really happy with the experience but well see what happens when it gets here.

Thanks for the link.
    dang