Rear rack for GT 29er used as commuter bike- Mtbr.com
    noob, please be gentle
    May 2011

Rear rack for GT 29er used as commuter bike

Anyone using a 29er to commute to work on? I just got myself a GT Karakoram 2.0 29er for mainly road + field tracks. I'm sure it's not much compared to what other readers on this forum have but compared to my previous bike it's a major change.

I need a rear rack with a pack (don't like panniers nor backpacks) I think the Topeak MTX looks suitable, but the guys in the local bike store weren't sure if 29ers need special racks.

Any advice?

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I know for sure that Axiom makes a rack that will fit on a 29er, I used to use one back when I had my 29er. Not sure what sort of new advancements they have come up with, but itís worth a look on their rack page:

http://www.axiomgear.com/products/gear/racks/
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    On my Pugsley, which is sorta like a 29er, I have a Topeak MTX rack and it seems fine to me. If that is any help at all.

UR

noob, please be gentle
    May 2011
    In the end I took a Topeak MTX beam rack (the E-type).

The EXP/DXP bags that go with it were too small to fit both my laptop, shoes and clothes, the dimensions were just all wrong - and they are not very big bags.There's a good enough laptop bag which fits the beam rack. It was a real squash to get shoes and laptop in, so will leave shoes at work in future.

Otherwise, a great rack/bag set up, sturdy, rigid and does what I need.

noob, please be gentle
    May 2011

Aw, snap

Hmm. With 3.5kg of weight on the back of the MTX rack, we went over a small kerb and snap, rack dead after only 1.5 months of use. Bag survived with barely a scratch. Now i have to ride with a backpack in the July heat. Not very happy about that.

Still want a fat bike....
    Did you check out the Planet Bike K.O.K.O. rack? Its $40 and it says it fits a 29er. I have one on my Trek Soho S 700c and it fits nicely and I think its a solid rack. For the money, I'd grab one of those if you want to grab another rack.

Moderator Moderator
    Sorry to hear that, Niner. I would not have guessed except that I researched racks for my softtail for bikepacking this summer & those folks pretty much universally said seatpost racks do not hold up under off road real world conditions, too much stress on the cantilevered platform over rough ground, like a dozen bit the dust on the tour divide race. On the plus side it may be worth a call to Topeak's 800 # to see if you have any options there...I broke a part off a front fender bending it in the cold & they replaced it for cheap instead of having to buy the whole thing again because of 1 piece of plastic.

noob, please be gentle
    May 2011
    So I live in Israel and had bought the rack from the local Topeak distributor who also has a retail store. I gave the guy the snapped rack and asked him "what's wrong with this picture?". No questions asked, he came back 5 mins later with a replacement one and said he'll be sending the old one back to Topeak and will get a credit from them so won't cost me a penny. Result!

Hope this one holds up longer, I'll be more careful over the bumps and will look into some ways to bolster the rack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Members who have read this thread: 0