Rear light with a fixed mount?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rear light with a fixed mount?

I'm looking for a rear light that attaches to a bike using something other than a qr mount. I want to leave it "permanently" on the bike and reduce the likelihood that someone will steal it.

B&M have a number of lights like this, but I'd prefer one that flashes.

Any suggestions? I have used old lights with knurled plastic nuts that can be removed by hand and replaced these with metal ones and this seems to work well, but they don't seem to make them any more.

Any suggestions?

Tim

mtbr member
    Glue one into the QR mount?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestion. I think that will be my next step.

Tim

mtbr member
    Making the light more work to steal than it is worth is the goal.

Someone could still cut it off given the time. Looking at the Planet Bike (the PDW's are the same) mounts, it looks like you can drill a pilot hole through the backside into the tang of the light and use a wood screw or two to fix it in a semi permanent way. The Planet Bike lights unsnap off the mount to access the batteries, so easy to steal that body of the light. Gluing it is not an option if you want to replace or charge batteries. The PDW Radbot has a screw holding the body to the clip part, so it would be a choice. The HotShot by being a usb rechargeable light, doesn't open, and has a similar style but smaller mount, so the wood screw method would work. I suspect that would work on the NiteRider rechargeable, but have not seen that mount.

BrianMc

since 4/10/2009
    It would be nice to find a way to do this for my Magicshine kit on my commuter bike.

Right now, I've just zip-tied the hell out of it, but the rubber bands on the actual light heads (I have front and rear) leave a lot to be desired. I get a little nervous every time I stop at the store.

mtbr member
    There were kickstarter projects recently from two different people making locked-on front and rear lights. Both looked like nice products.

mtbr member
    Cateye makes a saddle rail bracket, which can be used with any of their taillights.

You can then superglue the light onto the bracket. I use this bracket on all my bikes, with either the TL-LD650 | CATEYE or TL-LD1100 | CATEYE. This is what it looks like on my bike with the TL-LD650.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear light with a fixed mount?-img_1195-2.jpg  

Rear light with a fixed mount?-img_1193-2.jpg  

- Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    Cateye makes a saddle rail bracket, which can be used with any of their taillights.

You can then superglue the light onto the bracket. I use this bracket on all my bikes, with either the TL-LD650 | CATEYE or TL-LD1100 | CATEYE. This is what it looks like on my bike with the TL-LD650.
    That is a brilliant mount, too bad it won't work with my Serfas.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    I managed to find one of my old lights that has a fixed mount for a bike rack. It's the perfect mount for what I need. But I do want something brighter, so the search goes on.

Thanks for all the advice.

Tim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    That is a brilliant mount, too bad it won't work with my Serfas.
    I was looking at some of their rear safety lights, the rear mount look very similar to Cateye. Depending on which light you have, it may or may not work.
    Last edited by ecub; 10-11-2012 at 07:35 PM.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    I managed to find one of my old lights that has a fixed mount for a bike rack. It's the perfect mount for what I need. But I do want something brighter, so the search goes on.

Thanks for all the advice.

Tim
    Oh, from your original post, I assumed you meant on the bike. Cateye also makes QR mounts, which mount onto a rear bike rack.

You can probably superglue the light onto the mount if you needed to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear light with a fixed mount?-imag0427.jpg  

Rear light with a fixed mount?-666432d1326586481-mukluk-rear-rack-imag0434.jpg  

- Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

Members who have read this thread: 0