Rear blinky for helmet?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Rear blinky for helmet?

Anyone have a helmet mounted rear blinky light they like? USB rechargeable would be prefered. Found far fewer options on Amazon than I thought I would. The few I saw use 2032s, which I could do but would prefer something rechargeable. Just looking for something secondary to go with my Cygolite Hotshot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    also interested, subscribed.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I use a Knog Frog tucked in one of the vents of my Lazer O2. They actually make a light for that helmet but the Frog fits so prefect I'm not worried about it. A co-worker just clips a Planet Bike Super Flash to the mechanism on the back of his Giro, not sure what model. You don't nessicarly need a helmet light, just go to the lbs and experiment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Planet Bike has a little one that runs on 1 AAA and has a self-levelling bracket:

Blinky 3H

Also have a look at the Blackburn Central 20. It's USB-rechargeable, not too expensive, and what's distinctive about it is that there's no optic, just a pair of surface-mounted LEDs. So it sprays light EVERYWHERE, and aim isn't critical. Combine it with the Hotshot for the rifle-plus-hand-grenade effect. MTBR's review says about 30 lumens: Review: Blackburn Central 20 Rear Tail Light | Road Bike News, Reviews, and Photos

I clip mine to the rear neckline of my ANSI reflective vest that I wear most of the time. But it has a very strong spring-steel clip and I could probably find a spot to zip-tie it to the helmet if I wanted. My Giro has a pesky dial thing in the middle of the rear mechanism so I can't clip lights onto that anymore

since 4/10/2009
    I rig a regular one (an old Blackburn I've used for many years) onto my helmet with a zip tie. The particular one I use offers some side visibility, too (not much, but some).

I feel no real need to buy a special one for my helmet when I can make just about any blinkie work there just fine.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    You don't nessicarly need a helmet light, just go to the lbs and experiment.
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I feel no real need to buy a special one for my helmet when I can make just about any blinkie work there just fine.
    Superflash clipped to a mini bungie cord on my helmet. Whether it`s rechargeable or not depends on what kind of batteries you choose to use.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member

You can adapt just about any rear blinky

A Planet Bike Turbo:

A little epoxy, a bit of wire, plastic tube, and wire ties:

A pivoting mount. The Cygolite HotShot micro is a broader angle light an may not need much of a pivot mount:

Name:  $_35.JPG
Views: 435
Size:  11.7 KB

CygoLite Bicycle Hotshot Micro 2watt Headlight LED Bike | eBay

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the input guys, you all inspired me to go through my bin of old lights to see if anything I had would work. Sure enough I have a Blackburn light that fits on the back wedge of my helmet like it was made for it, just need a rubber band or something to mount it. Needs a new battery, but I think I have one of those somewhere too.

Feel free to keep posting other solutions though, this is could be a good resource for others who are looking. If anyone has the perfect holy grail USB rechargeable solution, upgrades are always nice

Loud hubs save lives!
    I picked up a Vis360 this year. I use it in addition to the lights on the bike. I especially like the strobe setting, which does not flash the lights but fades them on/off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Rodar, they make a USB rechargeable version now anyhow.

mtbr member
    I use a cheap blinkey and buy 2032s in bulk (and sell them to my friends for a nice profit!).

Just remember, they'll take a few months for shipping (and the current port worker strikes aren't helping).

Natural Born Killer
    I've got one of these small Serfas lights attached to my helmet. USB rechargeable and weighs next to nothing. I consider it my secondary rear light.
    https://www.serfas.com/products/view...-lights|page:2
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

Bedwards Of The West
    I clip the PB Superflash to the loop on the rear of my Bell Metro helmet. Works good as far as mounting, but sometimes I wonder if It's shooting at the sky.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Cygolite Hotshot mounted to the helmet. The seatpost mount worked perfectly to strap it to the rear of my helmet. Super bright, rechargeable and programmable.

http://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Hotsh.../dp/B005DVA57Y
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    +1 on the vis 360. I have been using it since they came out 5 or 6 years ago. I get numerous comments on how visible it is. Not cheap, but considering I am coming and going in the dark this time of year, well worth it for the added safety. All my commute and off road lights are L&M and the quality and support are second to none. They really stand behind their products if you ever have an issue.