Rear bags...- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rear bags...

A mean teen...
    Feb 2007

Rear bags...

Say hello to my form of transportation as of next month...

I'm looking for a rear mounted bag, preferably seatpost attachment to hold my uniform. Shirt, trousers, belt, lunch etc etc.

Something quite large but no so large it looks like I'm carrying my TV on it.

No-Brakes Cougar
    There are a variety of seat bags out there, some are expandable. If you couldn't find one large enough to suit your needs and you don't want to mount up a rear rack, you could divide your stuff between a seat bag and a handlebar bag.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    I've never seen a seatbag that can carry that much. Personally I hate having bags mounted to my bike, so I just throw everything into a backpack. Once you get used to it, you forget its there.
    At the end of the day, my bike is a bike, whether its made for XC singletrack or DH, I can make it do what I want.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Carradice saddlebag

I have been using the Carradice Nelson Longflap for a few weeks now for exactly that purpose. http://www.carradice.co.uk/saddlebag...addlebag.shtml

It is a big saddlebag made in UK and somewhat hard to get in the US. I ordered mine from wiggle. You will need some means to attach it to your saddle though. It seems yours doesn't have any saddle loops. I am running a Brooks saddle which comes with those.

The Bag is rather big (18 liters capacity). It fits the clothes I need to take for work, my laptop and a few other things. So you should be able to take clothes and lunch. Don't know what etc, etc would be.

Another option would be to get a beam rack, which attaches to the seatpost, and put a bag on top of it. I think you can get both things from Topeak.

apaju

weirdo
    Peter White, VO and Rivendell all carry monster seatbags. If you really want one, they`re out there, but as far as I`ve seen they`re all pretty expensive- probably cheaper to get a seatpost mounted rack and a rack bag, like Apaju said. I understand though that sometimes a big price tag is worth it when ya just gots to have that whatever it is.

A mean teen...
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by apaju
    I have been using the Carradice Nelson Longflap for a few weeks now for exactly that purpose. [URL="http://www.carradice.co.uk/saddlebags/nelson-longflap-saddlebag.shtml"]

Another option would be to get a beam rack, which attaches to the seatpost, and put a bag on top of it. I think you can get both things from Topeak.

apaju
    That's the sort of thing I was going to for. At the minute I'm still deciding on what to do:

1. Buy rear mounted rack and bag for uniform and lunch box etc
    2. Leave a weeks worth of uniform at work and pick up at weekends
    3. Carry uniform in backpack (where it could possibly get creased)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zadey1234
    I've never seen a seatbag that can carry that much. Personally I hate having bags mounted to my bike, so I just throw everything into a backpack. Once you get used to it, you forget its there.
    Of course, just opinions here, but I couldn't disagree with you more. I've finally gotten my Axiom rack/Ortlieb Pannier combo set up on my Cross Check and couldn't love it more. Getting the weight off you and onto the bike is great, and you don't get nearly as hot either. My shoulders aren't as tired when I get home, and just one of the Ortlieb Frontrollers holds more than what I take to and from work.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeveless
    Of course, just opinions here, but I couldn't disagree with you more. I've finally gotten my Axiom rack/Ortlieb Pannier combo set up on my Cross Check and couldn't love it more. Getting the weight off you and onto the bike is great, and you don't get nearly as hot either. My shoulders aren't as tired when I get home, and just one of the Ortlieb Frontrollers holds more than what I take to and from work.
    everyone has there own personal preference though. I don't mind heat seeing as I willing wear, jeans a hoodie, and backpack on a +40'C day. I've even done it with a full face on.

Your personal preference is getting the weight off you and to stay cooler, my personal preference is to have everything in a backpack on my back so when I leave my bike oustide a store, theres nothing really for someone to steal cept my seat. Lol.
    At the end of the day, my bike is a bike, whether its made for XC singletrack or DH, I can make it do what I want.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zadey1234
    everyone has there own personal preference though. I don't mind heat seeing as I willing wear, jeans a hoodie, and backpack on a +40'C day. I've even done it with a full face on.

Your personal preference is getting the weight off you and to stay cooler, my personal preference is to have everything in a backpack on my back so when I leave my bike oustide a store, theres nothing really for someone to steal cept my seat. Lol.
    Well, that's the beauty of the Ortlieb bags. Check this out. It allows you to take that same pannier right off the bike and throw it on your back just like your backpack. Best of both world IMO. Go into that store without fear my friend. (And don't let those commies steal your seat either)

ballbuster

saddle bags are good....

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon-RSX
    Say hello to my form of transportation as of next month...

I'm looking for a rear mounted bag, preferably seatpost attachment to hold my uniform. Shirt, trousers, belt, lunch etc etc.

Something quite large but no so large it looks like I'm carrying my TV on it.
    ... but most mountain bike frames have short rear triangles. This means either your ankles will be rubbing the bags, or the bags will be mounted so far back they risk being sucked into the rear wheel. This happened to me a lot until I got an Axiom rack that had frame loops that went rearward. I mounted it as far back on my frame as the hardware would allow, and it seems to be fine.

Like this:

Members who have read this thread: 1