The Real Bikecommuter Challenge is Coming...- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

The Real Bikecommuter Challenge is Coming...

mtbr member
    That editorial is pretty much spot on. Portland is a haven for fair weather cyclists, only the devout few brave the grey wet expanses of the winter. I should know, I was one of them.

I live in a new place, one far colder albeit a little less wet. January will be a test for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Bang on from the northeast, too. 4 others commuted by bike where I work in the summer, down to just me now, and the miserable weather hasn't quite hit yet. Small consolation is that we get snow here, though I have recently moved closer to the coast, so I'm not 100% up on the weather patterns >_>

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Exactly the same in Seattle. The MUP and roads were full of commuters starting around May (Bike to Work Month) but the numbers have been dwindling down ever since the summer peak.

I've done 292 commute trips Year to Date (a trip being defined as a ride to work or a ride home) and according to my spreadsheet it's rained on 64 of those trips so far with the vast majority of those rain days coming in Jan, Feb and Mar and the rainy months of Nov and Dec still ahead.

So yeah, January should be "Bike to Work" month...

mtbr member
    Well I'll admit I'm a fair weather commuter, but down here when it rains it comes down in buckets or not at all. Monsoon season only lasts a few weeks so its not a big deal to wait it out.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Members who have read this thread: 0