Raleigh FT2- Mtbr.com

Thread: Raleigh FT2

mk9
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Raleigh FT2

Would the 28 hole front wheel of the Raleigh FT2 be an issue for someone weighing 225+ lbs?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Radially spoked??? No way. I am around that weight, and I've pringle chipped 2 front wheels. Both were 32H, one was 2 cross, the other 3 cross. They required regular truing as any hard ride would bend them. I am using a 36H now, and no problems. I will say that I'm pretty hard on my wheels, but I think any serious cyclist is too. Others have probably gotten by fine with 16 spokes radially laced at our weight, but I will say it is not a recipe for success.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Depends a lot on how you ride.

At 160 lb, I've been chewing up commuter wheels some. I think it's because I'm not as shy as I maybe should be about manualing a road bike off a curb. Add some extra weight over the back end and in a bag, and it's hard on equipment.

Rivendell has a little discussion of this. Their idea is that it's really more about how you ride than how much you weigh. If you're smooth and ride more like an adult than I do, you may do fine.

For a front, non-disc wheel, radial's not really any weaker. It's just not stronger either. It's a little more aero, so I think on most bikes it's a style thing.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Members who have read this thread: 0