rain gear- Mtbr.com

Thread: rain gear

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

rain gear

What is good rain gear that is not going to fall apart and will hold up well. I live in Humboldt and it will rain a lot this winter.

Bedwards Of The West
    Humbolt? You need GoreTex and you need it now. If I lived in Humbolt County I would drop no less than $150 on pants and $150 on a jacket. That's a lot, I know, but I am in the sierras and I've spent at least that over the past 3 or 4 winters as my cheaper stuff stops being waterproof.

Watch steepandcheap.com and chainlove.com for killer deals, and search Gore Bike Wear at Nashbar and Pricepoint.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    what would be the next step down from that?

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    The step down would be an unbranded Goretex competitor, probably by a company like Columbia. It'll breathe just as badly as Goretex, and it should hold up reasonably well.

If you want cheap and far more effective than Goretex for commuting, consider a poncho. Completely waterproof, lots of ventilation. It just looks a bit dorky, but it's up to you whether you want fashion or function.

If you want to go higher end, get something made of eVent (far more breathable than Goretex). If you can get changed at both ends of your commute, a softshell combo would be more comfortable than anything fully waterproof.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Rain cape!

Otherwise I bought a $100 jacket and $50 Pearl Izumi pants. The pants are two layer so they breath better than the standard Goretex. Goretex doesn't breath very well because of the three layers. The extra layer is for durability. Two layer Goretex is good.

responsible zombie owner
    Put your work clothes in a bag, and ride naked. Pack a towel for when you arrive.

Super breathable and your clothes stay dry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have a outback duster that works well I need something for the bottoms. No naked riding for me. Naked+cold+icy rain+fast moving bike= oh he** no

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    here in iowa, i've used endura stuff (both luminite jacket and commuter pants) anywhere from 60F and rainy where i've gotten a little warm under them, to -10F with two heavy sweaters and was reasonably comfortable. they breathe as well as you could expect something completely waterproof to breathe, so not great, but good for how totally sealed they are.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatarbhoy
    Put your work clothes in a bag, and ride naked. Pack a towel for when you arrive.

Super breathable and your clothes stay dry.
    Easy there buddy, there's a time and a place for that sort of thing:
    http://www.worldnakedbikeride.org
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I just placed an order for a showers pass elite 2.0 jacket made with eVent. After last weeks ridiculous amount of rain, and my poor attempts at staying dry (started with trash bags and then progressed to a poncho) I decided I wanted something that would just work. Expensive but the lady at the bike shop said it was the best (and it looks a lot better than that super bright day-glow neon illuminate jacket that she was trying to talk me into), plus I need something that will get me through the snowy winter. Now I need to get some rain pants and boot covers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Does anyone have experience with Vikings rain gear?

Members who have read this thread: 0