Rain and commuting- Mtbr.com
    Digital Toast

Rain and commuting

I've been commuting for about five weeks straight now. With the odd day I NEED my car thrown in. Our weather outlook finally says rain after being dry all summer. I haven't had to deal with rain yet. What ways do you deal with the rain? Do you just hop in the car instead? Full rain suit? Change clothes at work? I'm open to options cause I really don't want to drive but also don't want the hassle of taking a full set of clothes to work.(but I will if need be) Love to hear everyone's stories and rain solutions.

Tanx

Zero

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have rain pants that I wear over jeans or shorts depending on the temp and a light waterproof coat- If it's above the mid 60's I normally skip the rain paints/jackets and just wear shorts/short sleeves and take a change of clothes with me. If you have a rack/panniers or trunk bag, taking an extra set of clothes shouldn't be an issue at all. If you don't have a rack/panniers, I'd strongly suggest getting that set up - it really comes in handy if you're trying to ditch the car and need to make a small grocery run, beer run, etc...
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

since 4/10/2009
    depends on the temp range. Here in TX, I rarely pull out the rain suit for rain. Only in the "wintertime" will I do that. Otherwise, I just ride in it and make sure I have an extra set of clothes.

I only toss in my hat to drive when it's storming.

Fenders and waterproof panniers are important gear when the weather gets wet.

mtbr member
    I'm in a similar situation--I just moved to Oregon in the middle of the dry season, but I know it's going to start raining soon.

Here's my plan: Rain jacket and rain pants (that will go over my jeans), and buy front and rear fenders for the bike. My only problem is where to put the rain gear while at work/school (same thing for me--I'm a grad student)
    "In nuclear war, all men are cremated equal" - Dexter Gordon

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I leave my rain gear in a pannier and lug it around with me -- it's hard to predict when it's needed. I have an allegedly breathable jacket with pit-zips, pants, shoe covers and a helmet cover. I usually try to have as little underneath as possible -- unless it's particularly cold -- and change at work.
    On a warmish day the helmet cover and shoe covers are the most important bits. Wet feet are a drag as is water pouring down your face and neck. Unfortunately, shoe covers basically require rain pants or the water trickles in from the top.
    That plus fenders and lights and a couple of plastic bags to keep my clothes dry in my 'water resistant' panniers.
    Last edited by asmac; 09-09-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Fenders.

Hat.

Really expensive jacket.

Cheap (well, for the material) gore-tex pants I no longer use to ski.

I don't do shoe covers, but wear sneakers with a leather upper if it's wet out.

I have a pretty short commute. The gore-tex pants get a little humid inside, but it's not too bad. For a commute long enough to change in and out of cycling clothes, I'd wear the same jacket but do tights.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Just takes a little prep...

I have rain jacket and pants for the really wet days. The ventilation isn't great so I try to avoid them, if possible. My commute is short so I just wear my bike clothes under and change at work. The rain gear packs down small enough.

The key for me is getting things dry once at work. It is a real drag putting on wet gear for the ride home. Newspaper stuffed in the shoes works great. A little fan to dry out my jersey and shorts works well. I do pack a second pair of socks as those tend to take too long to dry.

I actually like to ride in the rain...I pretend I am one of the hardcore guys riding the spring classics

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Fenders, fenders!! I have quick release defender rear fender. I love it but i have to add some length to it for my 29er. If its really bad out rain coat, but mostly just the back fender. I have olny 1.5 miles to go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    For me it depends on the temp. Above 75 degrees I don't much worry about it. I'll throw on a helmet cover and a wind-jacket. Colder and I wear a bike-specific rain jacket that is well-ventilated. Waterproof/windproof gloves come into play below 50. I have some thermal tights that I can wear under pants or shorts for really cold rain. I usually wear them below freezing in the winter, but wearing them in 48 degree rain keeps me warm without making me wear rain pants.

mtbr member
    Anybody use a "rain cape?" I just read about them, and it seems like a pretty good idea. It's essentially a rain poncho designed for bike riding.
    "In nuclear war, all men are cremated equal" - Dexter Gordon

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by danrothmusic View Post
    Anybody use a "rain cape?" I just read about them, and it seems like a pretty good idea. It's essentially a rain poncho designed for bike riding.
    I have one and have used it a few times.

My thoughts:

-it's great with "warm" rain if there is no wind.
    -it's not as good as a rainjacket and thermal tights if it is "cold" rain.
    -I don't really worry about "warm" rain anymore.
    -fenders REALLY help with a cape

If I lived somewhere where it rained all the time, or I didn't have showers at work, I may have taken to it more, but, as it is, I usually just either get a little wet or wear a rain jacket and sweat but stay warm.

YMMV

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Fenders.

Hat.

Really expensive jacket.

Cheap (well, for the material) gore-tex pants I no longer use to ski.

I don't do shoe covers, but wear sneakers with a leather upper if it's wet out.

I have a pretty short commute. The gore-tex pants get a little humid inside, but it's not too bad. For a commute long enough to change in and out of cycling clothes, I'd wear the same jacket but do tights.
    ^^This.
    My ride is 6 miles, and I do bike tights or shorts/leg warmers under the waterproof pants. I have also started doing the hood of said 'really expensive jacket' under the helmet... this works great for me. Thin Beanie, hood, then helmet. It helps keep everything in place. If it's just drizzling, I use the jacket's magical hood-dissapearing technology and just do the beanie.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    i have a good gore-tex rain jacket from cabela's, i've been looking for some pants and gloves to match. anyone have some links to what they're doing to cover legs and hands?

Fat-tired Roadie
    What temperature range are you looking at?

Where I am, it gets wet but rarely all that cold. Usually it's in the 40s or 50s if I'm commuting in the rain. I just wear some full-fingered MTB gloves that aren't insulated or water resistant or anything. They're synthetic, so they don't waterlog too badly. Insulation is overkill.

For pants, I have some old Gore-tex pants I used to wear snowboarding and got from uscav.com. If I were riding further, I'd want something more breathable. I've always switched to tights at that point. Depending on weather, either some pretty basic Sugoi tights or some Trek tights that have a thicker, water resistant material on the front.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Members who have read this thread: 0