Rain- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Rain

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,740

    Rain

    Do you ride in the rain?

    I road yesterday and it wasnt in the rain but it rained the night before. Shoes were soaked from the wet grass. I pack a rain jacket and pants but im thinking shoe covers and a helmet cover are a must.

    Couple shots from my lunch ride. I can take this route to and from work if i have time.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Texan-n-Fla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    898

    Rain

    Afternoon showers in Florida are so routine you can set your watch by them. I carry a rain cover for my backpack and a bag for phone/wallet, but nothing else. I've found that once you accept the fact that when it rains, you'll get wet, and stop trying to fight the inevitable, wet riding has got to be one of the best times. I look forward to it, now.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

  3. #3
    CB of the East
    Reputation: bedwards1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,992

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    384
    Agree with Texan, I like riding in the rain. I keep the visor on my helmet because it helps to keep the rain out of my eyes (or off my glasses/goggles if I'm wearing some). My bags are waterproof so my stuff won't get wet, but beyond that I don't really worry about it. The only tip I'd suggest is to dry your shoes before the end of the work day you can stuff dry newspaper in them, and change the paper once or twice through the day. I use a harbor freight catalog, I just pull the paper out and let it air dry when I swap it out.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WiTrailRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    191
    I don't purposefully ride to work in the rain. If it's raining when I wake up, I just roll over and go back to sleep and take the car. But I don't have a problem riding to work and then riding home in afternoon showers. It's a lot easier for me to ride home in the rain where I have a shower and plenty of towels and dry clothes waiting for me. I guess I'm a wuss

  6. #6
    CB of the East
    Reputation: bedwards1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,992
    ^^Nah, getting to work soggy can be problematic.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,740

    Rain

    Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post
    I don't purposefully ride to work in the rain. If it's raining when I wake up, I just roll over and go back to sleep and take the car. But I don't have a problem riding to work and then riding home in afternoon showers. It's a lot easier for me to ride home in the rain where I have a shower and plenty of towels and dry clothes waiting for me. I guess I'm a wuss
    Yah thats how i am. Rain in morning i drive, otherwise i bike. It really has only for two days this spring has it rained hard... Most the time its an all day sprinkle and its not that bad just the down pours i road threw once on the way home.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,740

    Rain

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    Agree with Texan, I like riding in the rain. I keep the visor on my helmet because it helps to keep the rain out of my eyes (or off my glasses/goggles if I'm wearing some). My bags are waterproof so my stuff won't get wet, but beyond that I don't really worry about it. The only tip I'd suggest is to dry your shoes before the end of the work day you can stuff dry newspaper in them, and change the paper once or twice through the day. I use a harbor freight catalog, I just pull the paper out and let it air dry when I swap it out.
    I like that idea. Thanks.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Straz85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,348
    If it's raining on my way to work, I wear a raincoat with a hood under my helmet, rain pants and Showers Pass shoe covers

    If it's supposed to rain on my ride home, it depends on the weather. If it's going to be warm I will just get wet. If it's cool, I'll stuff my rain gear in a stuff sack and bring it to work with me.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BrianMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,415
    I was going to ride to the market today but threatening sky with lightning dissuaded me. The lightning was the deal breaker, as it looked like I could get there dry and wet on the way back is easy to deal with. As long as it isn't a goose drowner or under the faucet rate of 2" in fifteen minutes downpour, it is sort of fun in warm weather.

  11. #11
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: mtbxplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,716
    Yes, I ride in the rain but the strategy depends on the temperature:

    Hot: Just ride in shorts and T, selecting the least absorbent models (generally synthetic)
    Medium: Try the above, but keep a light packable windbreaker just to keep a little warmer (not dry).
    Cold: Actual rain jacket, and a waterproof bike cap under the helmet (both Showers Pass).

    Real Cold rain or extended ride in cold rain: maybe add some rain knickers (Craft, kinda plasticky but effective and compact to pack to avoid hypothermia). Gloves too, the new Showers Pass I got are the best I've tried yet.

    Something else about the rain is not so much the wet but the dirt and grit that covers you, especially after a winter of ick. Baby wipes are helpful there if you are not showering at work. Plus extra chamois shorts, socks and gloves, as those may not dry out.

  12. #12
    Fat-tired Roadie
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    18,453
    Fenders with mud flaps help. More than I thought they would before I tried them. Looks like some of your riding is on singletrack, so you need to decide if you're worried about stuff getting stuck.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,740

    Rain

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Fenders with mud flaps help. More than I thought they would before I tried them. Looks like some of your riding is on singletrack, so you need to decide if you're worried about stuff getting stuck.


    I run the front all the time and the rear when its wet. It does hit grass and bushes and is never straight on the trail no matter how tight i put the strap. I also have electrical tape on post for more grip.

    Fenders do work great, specially the front if you have glasses and dont want to clean them all the time.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

  14. #14
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    28,973
    Fenders and mud flaps on my commuter, so yeah, I'll ride in the rain. I also have waterproof hard panniers to keep my junk dry.

    No lightning, though.

    This time of year has a lot of afternoon popup thunderstorms around here, so I really watch the forecast closely before deciding to ride.

    Also, how I dress depends on the temps. Sometimes, if it's upper 30's/low 40's and persistently raining, I'll just drive because those conditions are very difficult to dress for.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,094
    I have very long and wide fenders and a mudflap on my cyclocross converted to commuter. I still get wet feet. Above a certain speed there is simply a lot of splash.

    If there is rain in the morning I go by car. However, in summer we often have showers/thunder storms in the afternoon. Difficult to predict in the morning.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    8
    oh yeah, always ride in the rain - that way I don't have to check the forecast and wonder if I'm going to ride or not. Clip-on fenders, rain pants and jacket if needed. it's just a little water. someday i'll get some full-coverage fenders with mud flaps. looking into getting some 5-Ten Freerider Elements shoes to keep my feet drier.

    only drawback is all the people who ask you "what you rode your bike in the rain?" like you're crazy. don't know what the big deal is.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    52
    As long as it's warm I'll ride in the rain. Some of my favorite rides have been in the rain. I've been lucky this year. I ride most days and have only been caught in the rain 4 or 5 times this year. I'll probably get soaked now!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,740

    Rain

    Quote Originally Posted by wileydog View Post
    oh yeah, always ride in the rain - that way I don't have to check the forecast and wonder if I'm going to ride or not. Clip-on fenders, rain pants and jacket if needed. it's just a little water. someday i'll get some full-coverage fenders with mud flaps. looking into getting some 5-Ten Freerider Elements shoes to keep my feet drier.

    only drawback is all the people who ask you "what you rode your bike in the rain?" like you're crazy. don't know what the big deal is.
    Yah its not a big deal as long as your prepared. Im buying some shoe covers, pack cover, and a helmet cover from mec.ca and i will be fully prepared. I would rather have dry gear at the end of the day then wet.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

Similar Threads

  1. Input on rain jacket or rain gear in general
    By hidperf in forum Bikepacking and Bike Expedition
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-14-2013, 07:29 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-02-2012, 06:33 AM
  3. Rain bike or rain diversions?
    By fc in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 11:48 AM
  4. purple rain :) ok new bike, not rain..
    By DeanH in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-16-2011, 07:15 PM
  5. Let it rain..let it rain, Marin Stoke!
    By Guitarzan415 in forum Turner
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-01-2011, 09:42 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.