Question about commuting- Mtbr.com
    Na
    Feb 2019

Question about commuting

I've only been commuting since May of this year. I'm 45 and thought it was a good time as any to start. My question is, when riding up to or passing other cyclists they ride normal. But as soon as they notice you they start riding like they just entered the Tour de France. One guy did it in such a way his chain came off. Is this normal? Im going to ride at what ever pace I can handle. It's 6 miles one way and 75% up hill, I'm happy just making to my destination. It's not something I'm bothered by I just feel like I'm missing something.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Sounds like an annoying but simple problem. Get a singlespeed and blow by them so fast they won't bother to speed up. I've never had anyone try to accelerate when they see me coming, but to be fair I'm faster than most, (I ride a lot), and I usually blow by them before they see me coming.

Really though, don't try to make a pass in an unsafe way, especially if you're only putting yourself at risk. Wait till there is a safe spot to get by.

Just do your thing and don't worry what others do. There's enough dangers and risks out there, just prioritize staying safe.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    It's possible that getting passed while in "relaxed mode" awakens their competitive spirit. Enjoy your ride and don't worry about it unless you're looking for some racing opportunities in that moment.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by krankie View Post
    I've only been commuting since May of this year. I'm 45 and thought it was a good time as any to start. My question is, when riding up to or passing other cyclists they ride normal. But as soon as they notice you they start riding like they just entered the Tour de France. One guy did it in such a way his chain came off. Is this normal? Im going to ride at what ever pace I can handle. It's 6 miles one way and 75% up hill, I'm happy just making to my destination. It's not something I'm bothered by I just feel like I'm missing something.
    Doesnt happen with me, i think time and route im on dont encounter many weekend warrior types. I keep a steady pace when passing, make sure its safe, and try to make sure they know im there. I try to acknowledge them as i pass. Only knucklehead i encountered recently was on weekend going up our local mt climb. Young decently fit looking guy blew past myself and a woman who happened to be doing the climb also. He was on a e-bike.

Oh wait, past couple weeks on ride home ive encountered guy kitted out in full tightie road Gear go blasting past me at full speed on MUP. Theres a stretch after big intersection on road that leads to the path that i hit in full sprint. But as soon as i roll off the street and onto the path i slow it way down. This is where he goes blasting past. Totally inappropriate, theres joggers, kids walking and on bikes, parents with babies in strollers, people walking dogs. I use this section to catch my breath and recover, because at the other end where i get off theres another short stretch of full sprint in traffic.

Moderator Moderator
    The is called cat 6 (commuter) racing, as opposed to the category 1-5 real racers.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    The is called cat 6 (commuter) racing, as opposed to the category 1-5 real racers.
    ^ haha
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by krankie View Post
    No, it is not normal for a chain to come off the riders bike being passed.

jrm
    mtbr member
    let um take off, then get in their draft till they die and then pass um..

Na
    Feb 2019
    Trust me, I'm not the fastest guy even though I'm getting much better over time. Maybe it is just a motivation thing. Either way it makes my work day much more fun and I wish I would have started sooner.

CB of the East
    It's normal (except the chain coming off) and there isn't enough room on the internet to fully discuss all the reasons.

If you have passed them just hold your speed. Unless they pass you back and then slow down ahead of you no big deal. If you haven't passed them yet just stay behind them. They will either maintain the faster speed or eventually slow down and you can pass them then.

I've always liked Bike Snob's recommendation to "Pass them with an ego crushing display of power".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    The is called cat 6 (commuter) racing
    It's the primary driver of the E-Bike market around here.

Well, that and strava.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration