Properly Locking Your Bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Properly Locking Your Bike

We have bike racks at work and was wondering what is the best way to secure my bike? I have a U-lock and cable. I've tried and there is no way that I can think of to get the U-lock through the tire, frame and rack. Which means that its the cable that will secure the tire, frame and rack. Unfortunately, the cable is the weakest part.
    Any input? Maybe I'm missing something
    Friends Don't Let Friends Drive

2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport
    2010 Bottecchia RS290 Cross

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

mtbr member
    Yeah, this is how I do it now "The cable lock will secure your front wheel to the frame and any convenient object, and the U-lock will secure your rear wheel and frame."

I'm wondering it it makes more sense to park backwards, U-lock connected to rack and rear wheel. Then cable from U-lock, through the frame and around the front wheel?
    I figure this way, cable would have to be cut and U-lock and rear wheel would be left behind.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 08HardRock
    I'm wondering it it makes more sense to park backwards, U-lock connected to rack and rear wheel. [...]
    I figure this way, cable would have to be cut and U-lock and rear wheel would be left behind.
    I do not see why this would be more desirable than attaching the U-lock to the bike rack and to the rear wheel but with U-lock inside the rear triangle of the frame.

weirdo
    HardRock, did you see how he had the lock in the picture? I`m not sure if you caught that he only put it around the wheel and the rack, (which also indirectly secures the frame), and which allows you to park your bike kinda "midstation" at the end of a rack. Or maybe you did get that part and I`m missing something in your current method.

mtbr member
    If the U-lock is only connecting the bike to itself, and the cable is what secures it to the rack. Then all someone would have to do is cut the cable and could take the complete bike and work on cutting the u-lock at home. This is all hypothetical of course.
    Obviously locks are a deterrent and not a guarantee of security. My goal is to make it the biggest deterrent possible. Ideally the u-lock would be the thing that connects the frame to the rack, but this doesnt seem possible unless you have a very long u-lock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    HardRock, did you see how he had the lock in the picture? I`m not sure if you caught that he only put it around the wheel and the rack, (which also indirectly secures the frame), and which allows you to park your bike kinda "midstation" at the end of a rack. Or maybe you did get that part and I`m missing something in your current method.

Thats what I was saying before.... which I could do if I park backwards. The pic looks like he has it parked next to the pole (which is ideal) and would allow me to secure the frame as well. But parking in the middle of the rack means I can only secure the tire to the rack. And this is what I'm wondering is the ideal method. I know there are different methods, I'm just looking for the best.
    Thanks for the input all!!

weirdo
    Ah, so the issue you`re dealing with is that you an only get to the middle of the rack? The ends are either not accessible or often taken by other bikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Ah, so the issue you`re dealing with is that you an only get to the middle of the rack? The ends are either not accessible or often taken by other bikes?

Correct, I try to get an end space; but they are often taken since we only have one rack.

mtbr member

u lock + heavy wire lock for me

this is what i have been using

my lbs mentined people busting the u-locks. recently i purcashe a long heavy wire lock made by giant bikes, he recomended using it instead of the thin red wire lock i have been using (scene here in pic)

i also have heavy wire locks, for the bike in my car, and yet another for the bike in my storeage room.

you'd be surprised (maybe not) that bikes are stolen right off the car racks in ones own drive way
    Look to where the river ends, or where the river starts...

Members who have read this thread: 0