Project: Paint that Huffy!- Mtbr.com

Jul 2009

Project: Paint that Huffy!

I've decided to go green this coming school year and bike rather than drive to school. It'll save on gas money, as well as our school's fee for a parking pass.

My mountain bike isn't very suited to commuting, so I decided that I'd take my dad's nearly 20 year old Huffy ten-speed. Its paint job is hideous looking, very typical of what you might expect to see in the early 90's. It's a black paint job with this funky red splatter going on, with a red fork and red handlebars.

Here is my bike before the carnage begins.

This is my first time disassembling a bike and refinishing it, so I took utmost caution when it came to setting the parts aside. I wrote notes galore, and have them nicely organized on a table in the garage.

Here's a picture of it disassembled in my driveway, awaiting its sanding.

I finished sanding down the fork, bars, and stem, as well as the top tube. Tomorrow I will finish the frame and get it ready for priming.

I'll be posting pictures as I take them, and asking advice for future steps in my refinishing process. My plan is to finish the frame and stem black, and the fork and handlebars white. I think the contrast would look nice. Any input is welcome, as well as suggestions for how to go about doing this stuff, as this is my first time doing it.

The one question I did have is the clearcoat, after I do the color phase. Should I do anything special? or just spray on and wait for it to dry, lightly sanding between coats? I've read places that a heatgun helps, though I don't have one. Would a blow dryer suffice?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Dave

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    single speed it!!!
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    LOVE your dedication with keeping the old parts going, I reckon try the frame builder's forum, they will know better. :-)

locked - time out
    Jan 2007
    Candy coat that biatch!!!

Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by maelgwn
    LOVE your dedication with keeping the old parts going, I reckon try the frame builder's forum, they will know better. :-)
    haha yeah, I can't afford new parts for it, so the old ones stay. And as for the forum, I wasn't sure where to put it, but since I'm using this as a commuter bike, I decided to put it here. haha. Should I just copy and re-post? I don't know the forum rules for stuff like that.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Nice ride Rocknificent (hooray for one-piece cranks!) and congrats on joining the bike commuter fold! As far as the clear coast goes, just spray it on in a couple layers, leaving time for it to dry and cure in between. I would do a couple coats each of primer, paint and clear coat. Good luck on your build!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

weirdo
    I don`t see any pictures, but from the responses I guess I`m the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocknificent
    And as for the forum, I wasn't sure where to put it, but since I'm using this as a commuter bike, I decided to put it here. haha. Should I just copy and re-post? I don't know the forum rules for stuff like that.
    Nah, this is a good place for your post. I`m looking forward to seeing your pics- maybe from my home computer. You`d have to be in really bad shape to accept painting advice from me, so I won`t even bother

Members who have read this thread: 0