Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

The problem with disrespectful, ignorant motorists.

So wondering if anyone else has this issue. Motorists, strictly people in cars and pickup trucks screaming and beeping crap like "There's a sidewalk for a reason, or get off the ****in road."

Now I'm not sure about anyone else, but here in NC, a bike is considered a vehicle. Subject to the same rights and laws as motorists. Not to mention in most places, there's ordinances that prohibit bicycles on sidewalks.

I think the DMV and councils should make a new law that prohibits drivers from getting their license if they cannot respect bicyclists.

Also, the speed limit in town is 20 mph. A bike can easily reach that. Not sure why the rush when you can't go legally faster than 20 in town .
    Lastly, it's sad other riders, be it sportbikes, Harley Davidsons , metric cruisers , other bicycles or Enduro Dirtbikes have more respect for bicyclists than people that drive do.

Formerly of Kent
    It’s a national or international problem.

I’ve lived in IL, GA, OR, NY, VA, and CO. Experienced it in all of those states. Had death threats in several of them, guns pulled on me in two.

Nothing funnier than being called a “bum” while riding a bike worth more than the car the driver is operating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    They think they own the road but they don't. Really....isn't it part of the drivers license test to obey all signs? Which includes bike lanes and share the road.

EAT MORE GRIME
    get used to it.

1) always ride the bike as though every driver is out there specifically to kill you.

2) don't worry about it too much that it paralyzes you and prevents riding though

if you cannot 'get over it' just don't ride a bike on roads.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    …Nothing funnier than being called a “bum” while riding a bike worth more than the car the driver is operating.
    My favorite is: you fu&$ing ******!!! Are faggots particularly fond of Lycra? Or bicycles? What about a guy riding a bike makes a person think: that guy’s a ***?

Makes me laugh every time.

CB of the East
    You are preaching to the choir. I think generally most drivers are fine but the bad ones really stand out. Don't feel bad, it is the same way about cyclists. People that hate cyclists complain that we all blow through red lights and don't follow traffic rules. Because the ones that do act like that stand out.

For the most part I feel sorry for the A-holes that yell and scream at me because they have such tiny little brains and life must be pretty challenging for them. I also think of them t-boning a telephone pole and dyeing because that would make the world a better place. I'm conflicted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post

For the most part I feel sorry for the A-holes that yell and scream at me because they have such tiny little brains and life must be pretty challenging for them. I also think of them t-boning a telephone pole and dyeing because that would make the world a better place. I'm conflicted.
    Lol!...I like that.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Not that I expect anything to change because of it, but it is now illegal in Delaware to honk at cyclists except for imminent danger (or some legal phrase like that).

All things considered, drivers here seem to be pretty respectful around me when riding.

jrm
    mtbr member

As long as drivers view bikes as "toys" and anyone other than a child or racer

on a bike a "loser" they're going to be assholes to the remaining bulk of cyclists out there. With horrible traffic riding a bikes the way to go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I have more problems with bikers who don't follow traffic laws than I ever have with cars. Too many run red lights, stop signs, and don't follow any traffic rules when they are inconvenient. I make it a point to stop at the stop lights and signs, follow traffic laws, and pass the bikers who don't - it's fun to have goals when riding. ;-)

The only problem around here I've had with cars is that some drive by too close, and some drift into the bike lane if there is a tight bend in the road, but I've learned to anticipate the latter. I shudder to think about living in a place where people yell out the window at you as you're riding, and feel for those of you who have to endure such abuse.

mtbr member
    Yelling? I can deal with. The 1/2 full 16 oz Mountain Dew bottle thrown out of a 60 mph car, is a bit harder to fathom and deal with.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Yelling? I can deal with. The 1/2 full 16 oz Mountain Dew bottle thrown out of a 60 mph car, is a bit harder to fathom and deal with.
    Ouch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    This happened to me twice, ironically it was a Prius both times.

mtbr member
    Ironically, after a complaint to city council and boone pd, and since I got the Race Bike, the bs has stopped. But some new risks occurred. such as drivers not using their directionals and almost cutting me off in the left turn lane. thank god for high performance disc brakes and good reaction time.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    This happened to me twice, ironically it was a Prius both times.
    Everyone who drives a Prius is a jerk. No exceptions.

Stone Jack Baller
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Everyone who drives a Prius is a jerk. No exceptions.
    Saw this a few days ago. You dare tread on this guy?
    The problem with disrespectful, ignorant motorists.-7177e586-d781-4a68-a4c9-4afed4f65c1e.jpeg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpoker View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7177E586-D781-4A68-A4C9-4AFED4F65C1E.jpeg 
Views:	98 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	1206272
    No way, whoever is driving that car is completely unhinged!

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpoker View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7177E586-D781-4A68-A4C9-4AFED4F65C1E.jpeg 
Views:	98 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	1206272
    Tread on someone? Not my thing. This just confirms my initial statement that the driver's a jerk. BTW, why'd you cut off the rebel flag on the other side and the balls hanging from the trailer hitch? People love to label themselves.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Its a two way street. For the most part, drivers here are ok, but you do see bad examples, some ignorant. THe ones who yell, there is no fixing them. No matter what you do, they will be that way. LIke mentioned, there are lots of bad cyclists too. I'll admit to not being an angel all the time, but when I commute I adhere pretty strongly to the rules. If I come to a light I stop, and if its in traffic, I stop behind the car, I do not go around. I don't get to my destination any faster, and I know it annoys drivers that passed you to have to do it again. It does tick me off when people rush to cut a turn in front of you. They save, what, 5 seconds?
    Anyway, I only recently resumed occasional commuting and its been fairly pleasant so far. Only observation was lots of cars running red lights. Actually I think mopeds are the worst. We get lots of tourists, and fair number of punks. By law they share the same area on roads as bicycles, but certainly do not go at the same pace as bicycles.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Ugh, imagine my horror yesterday encountering 50 mopeds in all their buzzing stinky glory on my weekend road ride. I can pretty much guarantee 49 of those were illegal, the 1 because kid just got it and didnt have time/money to go get illegal mods done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Miles View Post
    I have more problems with bikers who don't follow traffic laws than I ever have with cars. Too many run red lights, stop signs, and don't follow any traffic rules when they are inconvenient. I make it a point to stop at the stop lights and signs, follow traffic laws, and pass the bikers who don't - it's fun to have goals when riding. ;-)

The only problem around here I've had with cars is that some drive by too close, and some drift into the bike lane if there is a tight bend in the road, but I've learned to anticipate the latter. I shudder to think about living in a place where people yell out the window at you as you're riding, and feel for those of you who have to endure such abuse.
    Yes, this always comes up. It really doesn't matter though. It isn't an excuse for the small percentage of car, truck, and motorcycles that generally go all sorts of crazy on cyclists.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    get used to it. ...

if you cannot 'get over it' just don't ride a bike on roads.
    This is pretty much where I am at. Sad but true.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Miles View Post

Studies have shown that cyclist break the law at pretty much the same rate as motorist. But honestly, I probably break the law more on my bike if you take out speeding, plus the fact that I sometimes ride on the sidewalk, which is illegal where I am. But me running a stop sign out in the country when there are no cars present doesn't seem so bad compared to cars that follow a cyclist too closely or drift into the bike lane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Everyone rationalizes their own illegal moves as reasonable bending of unjust rules, and everyone else's as lethally dangerous criminality.

Which brings us to motorists who, for instance, see the speed limit as a *minimum*, and advertise that belief in the comments sections.

Or bend themselves into thinking that a bike stopping and them proceeding through a empty-streets red light is dangerous, whereas them hitting the gas on a rush-hour yellow-red with left turners queued is just best practices.

Here, you guys might appreciate this:

I've got hours of this kind of crap saved, and I'm not sure why.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I stopped getting mad at rude motorists a while ago. So long as I'm not in danger I don't really care what anyone says to me anymore.

I have noticed in the cities where bicycles are much more common people are way more accommodating of bikes. At least out here in the liberal West. It's when I get into the suburbs when people yell at me especially guys in trucks. I think they truly believe only cars are allowed on the road.

Greg

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by InlawBiker View Post
    I stopped getting mad at rude motorists a while ago. So long as I'm not in danger I don't really care what anyone says to me anymore.
    Greg
    To follow up, US cities are way behind everybody else in terms of bicycle safety. We are a car lovin' country. We like our trucks and all-you-can-eat buffets. Bikes are for commies. (I'm being facetious). We were in Vancouver BC recently, they have separated bike lanes all over town there, just like it ought to be. Sometimes I can't believe the risk I put myself into in city traffic, but I gotta get home somehow.

Interplanetary Poultry
    I stopped riding on the road a long time ago. Granted I only rode "in the road" when on a road bike. I never rode my mtb or BMX in the road. Even here in Socal with bike lanes everywhere it still seems to be too high of a risk factor. Consider that often times there are no right turn lanes here, the bike lane becomes the right turn lane at an intersection. Couple that with the enormous amount of people out here who seem to be far more interested in what's going on with their phones than where their cars are headed. . . .
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Everyone rationalizes their own illegal moves as reasonable bending of unjust rules, and everyone else's as lethally dangerous criminality.

Which brings us to motorists who, for instance, see the speed limit as a *minimum*, and advertise that belief in the comments sections.

Or bend themselves into thinking that a bike stopping and them proceeding through a empty-streets red light is dangerous, whereas them hitting the gas on a rush-hour yellow-red with left turners queued is just best practices.

Man, it is scary that we function at all as a society.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I average about 100 miles per week on a road bike. It keeps my legs in shape for MTB. Only about 10% of my riding is on proper streets, the rest is a dedicated no-motors trail.

Over four years of commuting that's what, 2000 road miles of 20,000 total. I have come dangerously close to a serious encounter with a car twice in that time. So I've adjusted my street riding to be extremely, obnoxiously cautious on the road with cars.

mtbr member
    Its funny....that I too experienced a prius in front of me. They truly are the slowest car ever. Even a mtb racer like myself that can snap on speed with 2.75 Horsepower; is faster than a prius.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by dragracer88 View Post
    Its funny....that I too experienced a prius in front of me. They truly are the slowest car ever. Even a mtb racer like myself that can snap on speed with 2.75 Horsepower; is faster than a prius.
    yeah I am gonna go with stop bullshitting us for once

you can create 2050.675 watts on demand ? that needs proof, bro

the best million-dollar-payroll pro cyclists specializing in road sprinting are considered amazing and untouchable when they make 1,619 watts. Cavendish peaks in 5 seconds -below- 1600 watts.

please, stop the outright foolish banter please.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

They are not unjust rules, just practical —they are constantly changing.

But the general observation that you reference is more due to people learning from doing, and dynamic responses to poorly planned or implemented rules or facilities, e.g., the dumb cross walk light in your video.

I drive to work on a street with one of these, and I could just as easily post a video with far more foolish pedestrians sprinting across the street through traffic and without using the light that so much money was wasted in providing.

When the light was first installed it had signs posted with it way up high at the light, that explained to drivers what to do. At first it was Vehicle must stop when yellow light flashes, and then proceed when red light flashes and crosswalk is clear. That was so incredibly stupid and confusing that they replaced the instructions with the typical, stop on red.

Proliferation of more of these will likely result in more of the behavior posted in the video—that is predictable. People don’t just “obey” because the government decrees that they must. Although the latter is the nirvana for most urban planners and totalitarians.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    You're laying down 2,000 watts? Impressive!

A Prius can do 0-60 in ~10 seconds, definitely no race car but plenty fast for getting to work IMO. Maybe just the drivers are really slow?
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Im going by the calculations Ive done using a few online calculations. The highest cadence Ive done is around 130 RPM. And actually, saying I produce 2.75 HP isnt unbelievable. Ive read that trained athletes can produce up to 3 horsepower and no more.

But if you want real, devoted proof...you can meet me and take me to a dyno testing center. Quite a few articles Ive read and some videos Ive watched involve cyclists reporting they have gone to dragstrips and ran 36 mph in the eighth mile and here is a video of a bike dyno run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQyPrmwdnKc

mtbr member
    Havent hit 60 yet. 48.0 mph so far....50 is the next goal. Wont stop until I hit 80. May have to wait until mammoth for anything faster. Not sure if I can hit the speed goal I want in NC. Its possible, but the mountain would have to be closed to motorized vehicles; so I can safely really lean into corners and not worry about oncoming traffic.

mtbr member
    Im going by the calculations Ive done using a few online calculations.

You miscalculated, no big deal. Get a power meter and you'll know for sure how many watts you're producing.

And yes, saying you can produce 2.75 horsepower is pretty unbelievable, if you could actually do that you'd have a multi-million dollar contract with team Sky.
    I brake for stinkbugs

EAT MORE GRIME
    Im going by the calculations Ive done using a few online calculations. The highest cadence Ive done is around 130 RPM. And actually, saying I produce 2.75 HP isnt unbelievable. Ive read that trained athletes can produce up to 3 horsepower and no more.

But if you want real, devoted proof...you can meet me and take me to a dyno testing center. Quite a few articles Ive read and some videos Ive watched involve cyclists reporting they have gone to dragstrips and ran 36 mph in the eighth mile and here is a video of a bike dyno run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQyPrmwdnKc
    it doesn't work that way.

you hook up strain gauges to your bike [like some of the actual products out
    there specifically to measure a cyclist power production], and go on a tear

then report the data

no other obfuscation or discussion of your power output and dyno or speed or gearing or 'I did my calculations from the back of a cereal box' is going to suffice whatsoever.

please just post up what you CAN do and not some fantasy bull-crap, it is getting frickin weird.

---------

Demon Cleaner

The problem with disrespectful, ignorant motorists.

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    You're laying down 2,000 watts? Impressive!

A Prius can do 0-60 in ~10 seconds, definitely no race car but plenty fast for getting to work IMO. Maybe just the drivers are really slow?
    Completely off topic but the typical reason a Prius driver accelerated slowly is because they are using the electric motor. If they kick in the gas the cars have plenty of low speed power (instant electric torque plus gas motor). The thing is that a Prius is horribly boring to drive unless you play the mileage game.

Can be annoying but look at it this way, less air pollution for you to breath. I’ll take a slow Prius any day over an oil burner.

Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Team Sky wont ever happen....just read up on them. Its a strict road biker team. I have a better chance of going pro with Giant Offroad Team or Specialized Factory Racing; when I earn it.

But ok...when I can dyno at a testing center....youll have your proof. a Dyno is good enough for calculating motorcycle, car and truck horsepower and torque output.....its good enough for official data for a MTB.

and Im sorry I couldnt find a friend that had paypal and that I havent used it in years myself. Kinda been busy and less focused on things I used to use. Cant blame me for that. Im sure everyone on here has something they used to use, but dont remember the login info anymore .

mtbr member
    Team Sky wont ever happen....

lol, no kidding!
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    They are not unjust rules, just practical —they are constantly changing.

But the general observation that you reference is more due to people learning from doing, and dynamic responses to poorly planned or implemented rules or facilities, e.g., the dumb cross walk light in your video.

I drive to work on a street with one of these, and I could just as easily post a video with far more foolish pedestrians sprinting across the street through traffic and without using the light that so much money was wasted in providing.

When the light was first installed it had signs posted with it way up high at the light, that explained to drivers what to do. At first it was Vehicle must stop when yellow light flashes, and then proceed when red light flashes and crosswalk is clear. That was so incredibly stupid and confusing that they replaced the instructions with the typical, stop on red.

Proliferation of more of these will likely result in more of the behavior posted in the video—that is predictable. People don’t just “obey” because the government decrees that they must. Although the latter is the nirvana for most urban planners and totalitarians.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There's no flashers. it's an unambiguous red light with the same legal status as the major intersection 400 feet to the west. All those cars were running a red light that had turned green in the other direction before they crossed the stop line.

No one runs the red light at the major intersection because there are dump trucks as cross traffic instead of bikes.

Signalized intersections are proliferating because traffic is doing the same. Toronto's motorists will continue to blame everyone but themselves.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by Structure View Post
    Completely off topic but the typical reason a Prius driver accelerated slowly is because they are using the electric motor. If they kick in the gas the cars have plenty of low speed power (instant electric torque plus gas motor). The thing is that a Prius is horribly boring to drive unless you play the mileage game.

Can be annoying but look at it this way, less air pollution for you to breath. I’ll take a slow Prius any day over an oil burner.

I drove a Prius 3 and it was NOT a dog on electric power. I matted it and it goes if you want it to (yes the gas engine kicked in quick too, but initial torque was fine)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    Yep. I have a complication of that, too, but it's pretty short, as I don't drive much these days.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Team Sky wont ever happen....just read up on them. Its a strict road biker team. I have a better chance of going pro with Giant Offroad Team or Specialized Factory Racing; when I earn it.

But ok...when I can dyno at a testing center....youll have your proof. a Dyno is good enough for calculating motorcycle, car and truck horsepower and torque output.....its good enough for official data for a MTB.

and Im sorry I couldnt find a friend that had paypal and that I havent used it in years myself. Kinda been busy and less focused on things I used to use. Cant blame me for that. Im sure everyone on here has something they used to use, but dont remember the login info anymore .
    here is some more advice

a human can NOT use any typical 'dyno' to calculate anything unless this 'dyno' is in a human performance lab.

if you are using a motorcycle or automotive dyno, you are gonna use up all your power just to overcome inertia spin it up to where the dyno will actually start to record anything. and since it's gonna be FAR less than 2hp, the dyno won't record squat

for the love of god ----->go to a bike shop and borrow a bike with a watt meter<----- and prove us all wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InlawBiker View Post
    Only about 10% of my riding is on proper streets, the rest is a dedicated no-motors trail.
    We have those too.

What? Troublemaking? Me?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    There's no flashers. it's an unambiguous red light with the same legal status as the major intersection 400 feet to the west. All those cars were running a red light that had turned green in the other direction before they crossed the stop line.
    I have two similar intersections on my commute where the bike path crosses a major road. I have just learned to wait a couple of seconds after cars have the red to make sure they all stop. I see a car run it at least once every 2 weeks.

I see other cyclist and pedestrians run across when cars have the green just as often.

mtbr member
    If you ride offroad you dont have this problem

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    If you ride offroad you dont have this problem

Most people don't have the luxury of commuting off road.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Rides all the bikes!
    I ride about 300 miles a week. I see a lot of sketchy shit...pretty much daily.

Oh, and I can lay out some decent watts. I am light, so they are not big sprinter watts. But enough that even on flat ground I can out sprint most larger guys. And I hit a peak of about 1200w, I can produce 1 HP for about 20 seconds (though, I have never tested that to see if I can go longer). Unlikely you are producing 2.75...

since 4/10/2009
    Easy test:

Take the toaster challenge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Easy test:

Take the toaster challenge.

lol, just posted that a few minutes ago in general!
    I brake for stinkbugs

since 4/10/2009
    lol, just posted that a few minutes ago in general!
    I stoled it

mtbr member
    I feel like he could have gotten two slices of toast out of that effort.

mtbr member
    I generally don't have problems, but I also know my place. The roads are for cars, no reason why a bike should take up an entire lane..... I either ride on the bike path, shoulder, or sidewalk. Or I'll SHARE the road and move out the way when a car comes.

I think it's the cyclists who take up entire CAR lanes that make us all look bad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I was amazed at the courtesy that drivers showed in the Bentonville, Arkansas, area. At bike trail-road intersections, drivers screech to a stop to allow bikers to cross. Drivers also give bikes room and treat them with respect on roads. Maybe it's because many folks there ride too? I'm curious how that mindset developed and I wish it would spread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GKelley View Post
    I generally don't have problems, but I also know my place. The roads are for cars, no reason why a bike should take up an entire lane..... I either ride on the bike path, shoulder, or sidewalk. Or I'll SHARE the road and move out the way when a car comes.

I think it's the cyclists who take up entire CAR lanes that make us all look bad.
    Huh? They are "vehicle lanes" or simply "lanes." And cyclists (with some exceptions) have the same rights and responsibilities as people in motor vehicles. And a cyclist's "Place" is wherever the law allows him/her to be.

I'll add: In the past year or two, I find myself riding farther left than I used to. One, it gives me sort of a bailout to the right and 2) I've found that the more space I take up, the less likely someone is to try and "squeeze" past me when a car is coming from the opposite direction.

Maybe you need to go back to driver's ed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Huh? They are "vehicle lanes" or simply "lanes." And cyclists (with some exceptions) have the same rights and responsibilities as people in motor vehicles. And a cyclist's "Place" is wherever the law allows him/her to be.

I'll add: In the past year or two, I find myself riding farther left than I used to. One, it gives me sort of a bailout to the right and 2) I've found that the more space I take up, the less likely someone is to try and "squeeze" past me when a car is coming from the opposite direction.

Maybe you need to go back to driver's ed.
    All I know is, if I see some cyclist in the left hand turn lane, they should just have a**hole written on their lycra jersey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    All I know is, if I see some cyclist in the left hand turn lane, they should just have a**hole written on their lycra jersey.
    Even if they're turning left? From where should they turn left?

Rides all the bikes!
    Wait? As opposed to?

So, you think they shouldn't ride legally?

I'm thinking you are confusing who the asshole is in this thread.

FYI, as a road rider who obeys the rules of the road, including using the left hand turn lane in a completely legal, common sense, and predictable manner, you are by default calling me an asshole.

mtbr member
    Even if they're turning left? From where should they turn left?
    They should be on the crosswalk.

Rides all the bikes!
    Problem solved:

"Add to Ignore List"

After reading his stupidity in another thread, he isn't worth my time anymore.

mtbr member
    Dammit.. Now the lycra cult is mad at me...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Dammit.. Now the lycra cult is mad at me...
    I don't think anyone is mad...just surprised that anyone (cyclist or not) can be so dense.

mtbr member
    I don't think anyone is mad...just surprised that anyone (cyclist or not) can be so dense.
    I only act as how I expect others to act. You would never find me on a road slowing down the motor vehicles. I will gladly stay out of their way, because I know where I belong. There's plenty of room off the road for me not to be there.

To me, that is the respectful thing to do....

poser Administrator

seriously? This seems super trollish to me. This is a forum about bikes, and the rules of the road don't specify CAR only. They specify rules for all users and the set of courtesies that are legally to be used CAR=/<BIKE<PEDESTRIAN. Simple as that. Sidewalks in most municipalities are illegal for bikes to ride on, same with cross walks unless you are walking your bike. They are for pedestrians only, which being on a bike, a person is not.

Cyclists pay taxes through income, state and real estate taxes that support roads and so are afforded the rights to use the traffic lanes as long as the rules are followed. If there is no minimum speed limit specified a cyclist is just as entitled to take a traffic lane as any vehicle on the road (safety of doing so notwithstanding). If there is a minimum speed limit, as long as the cyclist can maintain it, no issues either.

I do suspect troll but also want to ensure that any user following this drivel from the google at least can see that what you have stated in your responses is unconditionally incorrect and not proper or legal advice as to how to commute.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post

Cyclists pay taxes through income, state and real estate taxes that support roads and so are afforded the rights to use the traffic lanes as long as the rules are followed. If there is no minimum speed limit specified a cyclist is just as entitled to take a traffic lane as any vehicle on the road (safety of doing so notwithstanding).
    Now this is the type of pretentious atittudes that I'm referring to. If you're gonna ride on the road, (that was designed for motor vehicles), it's not a good idea to impede traffic by being slower than them. There is a flow of traffic that needs to be followed, and these are set in place by the posted speed limits. Go the speed limit, or get off.

And BTW, "law" does not imply right or wrong. Laws are made for all kinds of different reasons. Some laws are made for power, some to generate currency, others for good intention or safety reasons. But in no way does the word law mean that all common sense should be discarded.

Common sense and societal standards says stay off the road if you cannot go the speed limit.

And somehow I'm the one with no respect?... I not only think about myself, I also think about the people I have to share the road with.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Now this is the type of pretentious atittudes that I'm referring to. If you're gonna ride on the road, (that was designed for motor vehicles), it's not a good idea to impede traffic by being slower than them. There is a flow of traffic that needs to be followed, and these are set in place by the posted speed limits. Go the speed limit, or get off.

And BTW, "law" does not imply right or wrong. Laws are made for all kinds of different reasons. Some laws are made for power, some to generate currency, others for good intention or safety reasons. But in no way does the word law mean that all common sense should be discarded.

Common sense and societal standards says stay off the road if you cannot go the speed limit.

And somehow I'm the one with no respect?... People are crazy!
    dude I negged you already, I can't neg you any harder.

I said go back under your rock. well, do that, wouldya ?

you will have zero luck impressing us with your twisted view of how things -should be- in your mind.

we'll stick with what thoughtful LEGISLATION has already granted us.

poser Administrator

wow. Just wow. Good luck with riding the sidewalks.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Oh no.... Please don't neg me.... I mean. How will I sleep tonight?

God forbid somebody starts a conversation about social observations and I give my input as both a driver and cyclist....

How dare I think about anybody but myself when on the road...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

This is the type of pretentious attitude that I'm referring to. You do understand that a "speed limit" is the maximum limit at which you can travel...anything over that and you are in violation of the law.

And, btw, "law" is generally created to address a societal need or to address a concern that society has found valuable. Societal standards have determined that laws to protect cyclists are valuable, so they exist. Since they exist, all users of roadways should follow them.

I'd like to think you're just trolling now...otherwise, I just have to shake my head.

mtbr member
    This is the type of pretentious attitude that I'm referring to. You do understand that a "speed limit" is the maximum limit at which you can travel...anything over that and you are in violation of the law.

And, btw, "law" is generally created to address a societal need or to address a concern that society has found valuable. Societal standards have determined that laws to protect cyclists are valuable, so they exist. Since they exist, all users of roadways should follow them.

I'd like to think you're just trolling now...otherwise, I just have to shake my head.
    By going slower than the posted speed limit, you're actually the one compromising others safety.

EAT MORE GRIME

God forbid somebody starts a conversation about social observations and I give my input as both a driver and cyclist....

you'll sleep in your isolated subsection of society in a box, where tools like you exist, while smartasses like myself who ride bikes -and lobby- steer the rest of society for the good of all cyclists

yeah, life is like that. thousands of us got the laws to be what they are. outliers keep trying to fight it but don't know how to access the tools and gain support. how does that work ?

Rides all the bikes!
    FYI, before blocking this person, I did notice that this person also considers themself as a beginner rider who is on fireroads and sidewalks while learning. So...clearly not someone who is versed on legal use of cycling. And, sadly, not versed on the legal use of driving either.

mtbr member
    If you guys don't like what I have to say, that's just fine. I simply answered the question of why some motorists are disrespectful to cyclists.

If people didn't act entitled because the "law" allows them to, then cyclists and drivers might just get along someday.

Until then, expect to be treated as you treat others.

-I wonder how you people would react if you seen a motor vehicle on a bike path? lol

poser Administrator

Good luck with this "social issue". Maybe later you can address the social issue of kidnapping. I mean there are laws but they are just for power. It is more of a social issue with kidnappings, if kids just stayed in their house, there wouldn't be a problem. Social for sure, too many kids.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

poser Administrator
    If you guys don't like what I have to say, that's just fine. I simply answered the question of why some motorists are disrespectful to cyclists.

If people didn't act entitled because the "law" allows them to, then cyclists and drivers might just get along someday.

Until then, expect to be treated as you treat others.

-I wonder how you people would react if you seen a motor vehicle on a bike path? lol
    Holy shit dude. Law is the exact opposite of entitled:
    en·ti·tled
    inˈtīdld,enˈtīdld/Submit
    adjective
    believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment..

Law means you are legally provided something whether you want it or not.

You should probably understand what these 2 things mean before using the terms.
    Check out the ebike forum if you want to see how people react to illegal ebike use on trails and bike paths. Illegal being the operative word.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Holy shit dude. Law is the exact opposite of entitled:
    en·ti·tled
    inˈtīdld,enˈtīdld/Submit
    adjective
    believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment..

Law means you are legally provided something whether you want it or not.

You should probably understand what these 2 things mean before using the terms.
    People pervert the definition of law everyday for selfish reasons. That's just one of many of its flaws. You guys make that very evident.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    People pervert the definition of law everyday for selfish reasons. That's just one of many of its flaws. You guys make that very evident.
    How does following the law "pervert" it? What you're attempting to do is the very definition of "pervert." You're seeking to pervert lawful acts into a justification for not not following them and endangering others.

Perhaps, in addition to supplemental driver's education, you need a dictionary.

EAT MORE GRIME

poser Administrator
    You win the internets today. Delete your account.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Bicycles aren't motorized

Do what I put in the negative rep that I left you.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

mtbr member

Do you think about bikers when they are on the road or just yourself in your car?

I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

The problem with disrespectful, ignorant motorists. 2

Call the cops!
    Some member might die soon.
    I have never seen 2 red dots reputation, he is under attack.

Cycologist
    I guess he doesn't live in Amish country. He's definitely demonstrated the title of this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I guess he doesn't live in Amish country. He's definitely demonstrated the title of this thread.
    Southeast, Michigan, much of which is a suburban sprawl, car-centric stripmalled shit hole of a place. No wonder he doesn't know how to act on the road-driving in that kind of environment often encourages or even rewards sociopathic behavior.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    Do you think about bikers when they are on the road or just yourself in your car?

Of course I think about the bikers when I'm driving. And being a biker myself makes me even more aware of them.

The difference between me and some of these other posters, is I care more about harmony on the road when on my bike, more than I do about hogging an entire lane that I don't need, and pissing off motorists just because the "law" says I can do so. I'll happily ride on the shoulder, because there's plenty of room there. I don't only think about myself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Though I'm familiar with the rights of cyclists to 'take a lane' and have no problem with it in many cases, I also agree that just because you can doesn't always mean you should. I've sat behind riders travelling two abreast having a casual conversation while rollling along at 20mph under the speed limit with a line of cars stuck behind them and no safe passing zones for miles. Those type of riders are indeed assholes.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    Call the cops!
    Some member might die soon.
    I have never seen 2 red dots reputation, he is under attack.
    lol. I completely underestimated the sensitivity levels of this forum culture.

I share a few observations and everybody flips out, like the world is ending.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    just go ride, smile, life is good!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    just go ride, smile, life is good!
    Will be doing that after work.

mtbr member

I share a few observations and everybody flips out, like the world is ending.
    Yeah. While I don't agree with you, neg repping seems uncalled for.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    It's just a flesh wound!

mtbr member
    Looks like some folks from the comments section of the newspaper have found their way to mtbr...

I'm not sure what additional credibility people are trying to establish by saying "I bike and drive". Yes. Who doesn't? I drive far more miles in a year than I ride, despite everyone I know thinking of me pretty much exclusively as a cyclist.

Personally, I can't remember ever being "stuck" behind a bike or group of bikes for more than a couple of seconds while driving. Yet I've been stuck behind every possible type of motor vehicle that would never, ever, think about getting off the road to let me by.

A while back I talked to a backhoe operator on one of my sites who had just driven across the entire city at 30kph on major roads.... on a vehicle with no plates. He said motorists sometimes honk, but they never deliberately pass him close.

Strange that their bravery seems to wane like that.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by IPunchCholla View Post
    Yeah. While I don't agree with you, neg repping seems uncalled for.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Read his posts in the commuting forum. That's where he earned his rep.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Looks like some folks from the comments section of the newspaper have found their way to mtbr...

I'm not sure what additional credibility people are trying to establish by saying "I bike and drive". Yes. Who doesn't. I drive far more miles in a year than I ride, despite everyone I know thinking of more pretty much exclusively as a cyclist.

Personally, I can't remember ever being "stuck" behind a bike or group of bikes for more than a couple of seconds while driving. Yet I've been stuck behind every possible type of motor vehicle that would never, ever, think about getting off the road to let me by.

A while back I talked to a backhoe operator on one of my sites who had just driven across the entire city at 30kph on major roads.... on a vehicle with no plates. He said motorists sometimes honk, but they never deliberately pass him close.

Strange that their bravery seems to wane like that.

Exactly^
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    After a couple years riding the streets in a regular basis, I have yet to have a negative experience with a driver. Maybe because I respect them.

Although, I did have one negative experience with a cyclist. Go figure.... I was riding on the shoulder going against traffic. Something that the lycra crew refers to as "salmoning". This guy proceeded to flip me off, and cry something like, "wrong way a**hole!" lol. It actually took me by surprise because I never seen a fellow biker be such a baby about such a thing.

The thing is, there was plenty of room for both of us on this shoulder. My course did not interfere with his in the least of way, but he still got all upset over what I was doing. The entire reason why I ride against traffic, is because drivers are too distracted these days. The crazy thing is, on the exact road that this incident occurred, a county Sheriff just got killed on by a hit and run driver, while jogging on the shoulder.. I also have a friend who was in a neck brace last summer because he was riding on the shoulder with traffic, and also got nailed. If I was to continue to follow the advice of the cycling community, I could be next. I'd rather see what's coming at me.

So anyways, that's been my experience so far. Drivers have been nicer to me than cyclists have. lol!

mtbr member
    After a couple years riding the streets in a regular basis, I have yet to have a negative experience with a driver. Maybe because I respect them.

I commuted daily for years, in a few different states and it was an extremely rare occasion that I had any negative experience with motorists, like almost never.

I took lanes every day because it's the safest (and fastest) way to mix with traffic. Never an issue.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    I commuted daily for years, in a few different states and it was an extremely rare occasion that I had any negative experience with motorists, like almost never.

I took lanes every day because it's the safest (and fastest) way to mix with traffic. Never an issue.
    I'm assuming you weren't slowing them down then. What I gather, is that it's the ones who don't care about the other drivers that end up with the bad experiences.

mtbr member
    .... I was riding on the shoulder going against traffic.

That is by far the most dangerous way to travel on a bicycle. Also it can endanger other cyclists so I'm not surprised the guy flipped you off.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    I'm assuming you weren't slowing them down then.

I might of cost a driver a second or 2 now and then.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    That is by far the most dangerous way to travel on a bicycle. Also it can endanger other cyclists so I'm not surprised the guy flipped you off.
    How did I endanger him? There was plenty of room for both of us. And I took the outside route out of courtesy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast